Author Topic: moving to the sticks :)  (Read 8919 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
moving to the sticks :)
« on: March 07, 2005, 05:22:49 PM »
A couple friends and I are going to be renting a house in the middle of a bunch of farm land. The sweet old couple said we can ride dirt bikes and shoot on the property! They own the fields around the house and lease them to farmers but we can ride on the roads between the fields. We'll be able to shoot in the woods that are in the rear of the property. The house was built in the 1870s and has this tiny room barely bigger than a bed next to the living room, turns out this is where they kept sick people when they were dying :shock: One of the roomies has lived in NYC all his life, hopefully he can handle this haha. He got freaked out the first time he saw a combine.

The house is circled and the propery border is shown with the lines, it goes north of where the picture ends:

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 05:24:25 PM »
Looks cool.

One suggestion: Get the permission for riding and shooting in writing.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 04:36:32 AM »
I lived at my grandparent's place for a while in a house they had out back that my great grandfather had lived in before he died.  Looked a lot like this but a tad smaller, about 15 or so acres.  Nothing around to speak of.  Neighbors had a large pond (lake really) and we could camp and fish there.  I shot out back using bails of hay as a backstop.  Weird at night though if you aren't used to it.  You'll enjoy it for a while at least.  There is something to be said for just running down to the corner for milk and bread.  It's a PITA to have to 'go to town' all the time.

Greg

Ukraine Train

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 04:51:37 AM »
Yeah, it'll take some getting used to living there. I've lived in the suburbs all my life. Luckily we're only a mile off the highway and there's a small city a couple miles away, and there's a gas station and a couple restaurants at the highway exit next to us.

client32

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 04:58:36 AM »
He got freaked out the first time he saw a combine.
Well... can you blame him.  They look like big man eating machines Wink  

* Grew up in a farming town and have worked a harvest or two *
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 05:04:29 AM »
He got freaked out the first time he saw a combine.

Too funny, in college a guy from Jersey joined my fraternity and one Friday afternoon we went on a road trip to a tiny town to hit this particular bar. Long story short, a sprayer truck came down mainstreet bouncing on those large flotation tires and he just stood there and stared at it like it was going to eat him or something. Lots of scary things in the country for city kids.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 05:06:56 AM »
This will  be a great  for you folks!
Some changes in lifestyle for sure, like not having the corner market already mentioned.

Planning ahead your trips to and from town, stocking up on some stuff and rotating it , ....you might be surprised how you actually appreciate  NOT  having the temptation to run down to the corner.

I'm reminded of David Steinbreiner ( sp?) the comedian. Grew up in the big city with trains, subways, taxis....goes to the country to visit relatives.  He hears a noise. "Crickets" - he is told.  He has no idea what a "cricket is"  he knows about Deli's though.

"Well what is that noise, how do they make it?" he asked.  Country relative says "oh they just rub their legs together" and walks off.

He couldn't  sleep a wink, he kept imagining a bunch of 4 foot sized animals outside rubbing theirr legs together.

*grin*

Ukraine Train

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 05:17:48 AM »
Haha looks like NYC boy is bailing on us, what a wuss. That's ok, we'll just find someone else to take his spot.

12 Volt Man

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 05:36:42 AM »
Looks like a great place.

Intune

• The Shakes
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 05:55:53 AM »
Tread lightly with those knobbies & ride during reasonable hours.  Not Sun morn @ 6.   Wink   Wish I was there for that first crisp, clear night of star gazing.  The number of stars visible is amazing.  I never tire of it.

Greg L

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 06:03:08 AM »
It can't be too far off in the sticks, that looks like a good sized divided highway off to the right Wink .

Enjoy your time out there it sounds great.

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 07:34:49 AM »
Congrats!

Can you fish the tank?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »
Kinda like the place where I grew up. Texas ranch country as far as the eye can see. It is on top of a hill and you can literally see for twenty or thirty miles in almost every direction.

http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2080&y=18827&z=14&w=1

Just to give you a sense of scale I zoomed out the image a bit.

http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=14&X=520&Y=4706&W=1

It's half a mile from the house to the pavement (south). It's another 12 miles to a place where you can at least get gas and milk, but not much else. It's almost an hour to any town with a population of more than 1000 and two hours to anywhere with a mall. And it's 50 (yes, that's FIVE ZERO) miles to the nearest beer store.  :shock:

On the plus side, the nearest neighbors are seven miles away, it's dead quiet, and the lack of any nearby lights mean the stars fill the skies at night. Too bad Dad decided to sell it and move closer to town. I'll sure miss that place.  :cry:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 01:42:09 PM »
Hopefully you'll learn to love country life.  I've lived the rural lifestyle all my life (with exception of last 4 years of college), and I never get tired of it.

Ukraine Train

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 02:18:18 PM »
Wow, I think Brad has me beat lol. If I had some machine guns then maybe I'd like being that secluded.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 02:45:03 PM »
My wife and I moved from the city to a rather remote section of NH.  Not the middle of nowhere, but pretty close.

The first time in my life that I got "freaked out" was the first time we lost power due to a storm in the middle of the night.  It was black.  There is NO city light to illuminate the sky.  It was black.  No noise.  Nothing.

I couldn't see 1 foot in front of me.  

Yup, that freaked me out.

The wife?  She handled it well- she was on the floor in fetal position with her dog that was shaking.
One day at a time.

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 03:18:02 PM »
It can't be too far off in the sticks, that looks like a good sized divided highway off to the right  .

that's exactly what i was thinking....  i can take ya to the sticks... Tongue