Author Topic: Victim: Gang-Rape Cover-Up by U.S., Halliburton/KBR  (Read 25187 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Sure am glad my taxes are funding KBR
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »
  dunno much about international law. The crime happened in Iraq, but the perps and victim were all American.

Heard on Glen Beck that since it happened in the Green Zone, US law applies.  Green zone is under the State dept's jurisdiction.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »
It is amazing to me how something so trivial immediately produces a knee-jerk reaction about overlords, conspiracies, and evil corporations.

What exactly do you think a corporation is? A cult, a cabal? Do you truly believe that big bosses sit in big offices chomping fat cigars, guzzling martinis, and planning how to gang-rape then silence an intern? Do you truly believe that an organization, any organization, has or can have such an iron-fisted supreme control over all its members that any evil-doing of a member is sanctioned or at least allowed by somebody higher up? Grow up. Companies are there to make money, not rape women.

She is pretty, young, and probably quite dumb (come on, 20yo civilian white girl in Iraq right now?). You get a few horny bad apples that know better than mess with the locals, add cheap drugs, and that's what you get. Hardly the company's fault. Then the company tries to do some damage control because it expects exactly the kind of bad publicity and litigation that actually happens.

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Victim: Gang-Rape Cover-Up by U.S., Halliburton/KBR
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2007, 07:24:43 PM »
multiple threads on same topic. Please merge.

Paddy

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2007, 07:42:02 PM »
Exactly right, CAnoneer. Nobody's responsible except some out of control low level underlings.

Hey, it works for the Bush administration.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »

She is pretty, young, and probably quite dumb (come on, 20yo civilian white girl in Iraq right now?). You get a few horny bad apples that know better than mess with the locals, add cheap drugs, and that's what you get. Hardly the company's fault. Then the company tries to do some damage control because it expects exactly the kind of bad publicity and litigation that actually happens.

I guess the rest of us aren't so casual about rape.  I tend not to figure the victim's intelligence is relevant to the facts of a rape, nor do I think that it's "hardly anyone's fault" that a rape victim ended up imprisoned in a transport container and then fired from her job for reporting the rape. 

In my opinion, this attitude constitutes both blaming the victim and minimizing the severity of the crime. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2007, 09:41:20 PM »
I read about that case yesterday, it made drudge.
Terrible, I believe her 100% and think all involved in keeping that
women imprisoned/raping her or covering it up need to be shot.

Because now you're judge, jury, and executioner.  There is a thing called due process, innocent until proven guilty, blah blah blah.....
Or maybe we should waterboard them until they confess, since you've deemed them guilty already....
 rolleyes

Too bad Clinton didn't get that same right Smiley
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2007, 10:33:22 PM »
Too bad Clinton didn't get that same right

Well it depends on how you define "get".

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2007, 10:44:42 PM »
She is pretty, young, and probably quite dumb

She comes across as pretty, young, and  smart enough
to cause an international outcry.

Then the company tries to do some damage control because it expects exactly the kind of bad publicity and litigation that actually happens.

If it were my company, my damage control would be "the suspects have been apprehended and turned over to appropriate authorities,anyone found guilty will be terminated and we are examining our procedures to insure this never happens again"
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2007, 11:06:28 PM »

If it were my company, my damage control would be "the suspects have been apprehended and turned over to appropriate authorities,anyone found guilty will be terminated and we are examining our procedures to insure this never happens again"

Thank you.  Anything less than this is a cover-up, and should be treated as such.

She is pretty, young, and probably quite dumb

Pretty, young and dumb women deserved to be falsely imprisoned and raped?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2007, 02:04:45 AM »
I read about that case yesterday, it made drudge.
Terrible, I believe her 100% and think all involved in keeping that
women imprisoned/raping her or covering it up need to be shot.

Because now you're judge, jury, and executioner. 

No, actually, he's a guy giving his opinion, informally, to his internet buddies.  No one's going to get shot on his say-so. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 05:29:22 AM »
"Removed rudeness..."

That's certainly uncalled for.
--Len.

Yes, it was.  If it happens again, I'm closing the entire thread.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2007, 08:24:59 AM »
Hey, my wife has a corporation.  I am an officer.

Being a corporate overlord, I command you all to...bring me a shrubbery!

And then ship all your ammo to me so I can test-fire every round to ensure my subjects do not have faulty ammo.

Corporate Officer Overlord jfruser ==>  police
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »
 grin
No one's going to get shot on his say-so. 
I even stomped my feet and threatened to hold my breath!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »
Hey, my wife has a corporation.  I am an officer.

Being a corporate overlord, I command you all to...bring me a shrubbery!

And then ship all your ammo to me so I can test-fire every round to ensure my subjects do not have faulty ammo.

Corporate Officer Overlord jfruser ==>  police

Hey, me too!  I'm a gawsh damn CEO!
We should get together in a smokey room and decide the next war, next president, and to send more black helicopters in pursuit of right wingers everywhere!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »
She is pretty, young, and probably quite dumb (come on, 20yo civilian white girl in Iraq right now?).

I can't believe you didn't bring up the fact that she had breast implants. Maybe she was dressed provocatively?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Len Budney

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
Actually, I think everyone on this thread deserves recognition for treating the subject MUCH better than FreeRepublic, where most folks seem to think she was lying about the whole thing. Perhaps to undermine the war effort?

I ran into the above after googling the "breast implants" angle after reading Wooderson's comment.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Paddy

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »
It must be a spoof, Len.  The author, Jon Swift, says (at the top)

"I am a reasonable conservative who likes to write about politics and culture. Since the media is biased I get all my news from Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and Jay Leno monologues."

He can't be serious.

Len Budney

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
It must be a spoof, Len.  The author, Jon Swift, says (at the top) ...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's kidding--but I'm afraid the authors he links to, "Rusty Shackleford at The Jawa Report, Curt at Flopping Aces and former humor blogger Ace of Spades," aren't.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »
I wonder how those claiming it's all a lie can dismiss the Republican Congressman's role? Does he hate America?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
Jon Swift as in Jonathan Swift, author of "A Modest Proposal", perhaps?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
It must be a spoof, Len.  The author, Jon Swift, says (at the top) ...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's kidding--but I'm afraid the authors he links to, "Rusty Shackleford at The Jawa Report, Curt at Flopping Aces and former humor blogger Ace of Spades," aren't.

--Len.

Jon Swift is one of the better bloggers, IMO. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »
I guess the rest of us aren't so casual about rape.  I tend not to figure the victim's intelligence is relevant to the facts of a rape, nor do I think that it's "hardly anyone's fault" that a rape victim ended up imprisoned in a transport container and then fired from her job for reporting the rape.  In my opinion, this attitude constitutes both blaming the victim and minimizing the severity of the crime. 

Now that's ironic coming from the apologeticist of cultures where raped women and uncovered women are punished by death.  rolleyes

We were talking about corporate evil, which I do not see in this case. Oh, she got fired. It is a private company; they reserve the right to fire you, while some compensation may be in order depending on the hiring contract. Oh, she was "imprisoned" in a container. Whoever did that can be prosecuted as a private citizen, just as the rapists should. The corporation has little to do with this, other than being shot at by politically motivated journalists and posters.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2007, 05:00:56 PM »
So a corporation has absolutely no culpability for the actions of its employees? Everyone involved - the people who raped her, the people who locked her up, the people who took the rape kit and 'lost it,' etc. etc. etc. were just rogues, no one from higher up the foodchain had any idea what was going on in Iraq?

Does it bother you at all that a group receiving billions from the federal government apparently has little or no oversight over its employees?

Paddy

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »
We were talking about corporate evil, which I do not see in this case. Oh, she got fired. It is a private company; they reserve the right to fire you, while some compensation may be in order depending on the hiring contract. Oh, she was "imprisoned" in a container. Whoever did that can be prosecuted as a private citizen, just as the rapists should. The corporation has little to do with this, other than being shot at by politically motivated journalists and posters.

So, it's ok to commit whatever violent crimes as long as the perp agrees with your ideology because anybody who wants to hold you accountable is 'politically motivated'.  Do you actually believe the crap you write, or does it just spew from you without any thought whatsoever?

Paddy

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »
So a corporation has absolutely no culpability for the actions of its employees? Everyone involved - the people who raped her, the people who locked her up, the people who took the rape kit and 'lost it,' etc. etc. etc. were just rogues, no one from higher up the foodchain had any idea what was going on in Iraq?

Does it bother you at all that a group receiving billions from the federal government apparently has little or no oversight over its employees?

And stop trying to undermine President Bush and the war effort.