Author Topic: If you want to be homeless, be homeless in Seattle...  (Read 3656 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
If you want to be homeless, be homeless in Seattle...
« on: December 12, 2007, 07:21:26 AM »
the City Council believes you need extra special protections...

In a unanimous vote, the Seattle City Council on Monday passed a measure that makes harassing a homeless person a hate crime.

Under a law sponsored by council president Nick Licata, homeless people are now among those protected by the city's hate crime law prohibiting malicious harassment. The law already bars malicious harassment based upon gender identity, marital status, political ideology, age and parental status.

The law also makes it illegal to damage the belongings of a homeless person.

The move was considered largely symbolic because the city rarely charges people with malicious harassment. If a case is serious enough, it is typically forwarded to the King County Prosecutor's Office for possible charges under the state's law on malicious harassment.

Still, the proposal enjoyed the support of the full council, City Attorney Tom Carr, Mayor Greg Nickels and advocates for the homeless.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: If you want to be homeless, be homeless in Seattle...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:39:50 AM »
So if a bunch of them decide to build a box town on the sidewalk outside your business, if you try to move the boxes, would that be a hate crime? Huh?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Actually, I can speak to this a little bit from following it in the local media.  I worked in downtown Seattle for 24 years, and in recent years, the homeless population has greatly increased.  There were some well-publicized cases in the past few years of violent assaults against homeless individuals by virtue of their status of being homeless.  For example, a couple of homeless individuals were severely burned when a group of local youths poured gasoline on them and lit it as they slept.  Another transient was stabbed to death by another group of local youths.  This has led to calls for tougher laws protecting the homeless from harassment and assault.

By giving hate crime protection to the status of being homeless, the city can impose tougher criminal penalties to those persons harassing the homeless.  Because I have not read up on it,  I don't know the demarcation line between harassment and assault.  Certainly, serious offenses are prosecuted at the King County level, and not at the Seattle Municipal Court level, where the malicious harassment law applies.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:19 AM »
. . . a couple of homeless individuals were severely burned when a group of local youths poured gasoline on them and lit it as they slept.  Another transient was stabbed to death by another group of local youths.  This has led to calls for tougher laws protecting the homeless from harassment and assault.
I thought we already had laws against arson, attempted murder, aggravated assault, and murder? Some would-be murderer is going to think twice and say to himself "Ooooh . . . this guy is homeless . . . better find someone else to kill."

This "hate crime" drivel is just a way of saying some people are worth more than YOU are.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:34:04 AM »
By giving hate crime protection to the status of being homeless, the city can impose tougher criminal penalties to those persons harassing the homeless.

So pouring gasoline on someone didn't already have a serious penalty?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 12:29:21 PM »
Exactly.  If mtnbkr's daughter decides to light Mike Irwin on fire, its no less vicious than if some youth sets a homeless person/homosexual/minority on fire.  (like how I found a chance to remind everyone Irwin is constantly bested by a 4year old?  laugh).
the life of a homeless person is worth no more and no less than that of a white middle class suburbanite, a klansman, a liberal, a conservative, a homosexual, a minority, or even a terror suspect. 
Hate Crime = Thought Crime.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
So if a bunch of them decide to build a box town on the sidewalk outside your business, if you try to move the boxes, would that be a hate crime? Huh?

casually drop a cigarette butt on one of the boxes.. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 02:53:05 PM »
So is saying "Get a Job" malicious harrassment ??  How about handing them job applications ??

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 04:26:40 PM »
This "hate crime" drivel is just a way of saying some people are worth more than YOU are.

They vote for representatives of the Democratic (sic) party. You probably had more sense.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 04:56:32 AM »
I looked up the definition of malicious harassment in the Seattle Municipal Code.  Here it is, but note that the homeless status has not yet been added:

SMC 12A.06.115  Malicious harassment.

A. A person is guilty of malicious harassment if he or she maliciously and intentionally commits one (1) of the following acts because of his or her perception of another person's gender identity, marital status, political ideology, age, or parental status:

1. Causes physical injury to another person; or

2. By threat places another person in reasonable fear of harm to his or her person or property or harm to the person or property of a third person; provided however, that it shall not constitute malicious harassment for a person to speak or act in a critical, insulting, or deprecatory way so long as his or her words or conduct do not constitute a threat of harm to the person or property of another person; or

3. Causes physical damage to or the destruction of the property of another person.

B. "Threat" means to communicate, directly or indirectly, the intent to:

1. Cause bodily injury to another; or

2. Cause damage to the property of another; or

3. Subject another person to physical confinement or restraint.

C. "Gender identity" means a person's identity, expression, or physical characteristics, whether or not traditionally associated with one's biological sex or one's sex at birth, including transsexual, transvestite, and transgendered, and including a person's attitudes, preferences, beliefs, and practices pertaining thereto.

D. Every person who, in the commission of malicious harassment, shall commit any other crime, may be punished therefor as well as for the malicious harassment, and may be prosecuted for each crime separately.

(Ord. 120132 Section 1, 2000.)

I wonder what 'parental status' means.  That the victim is or is not a parent? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
I wonder what 'parental status' means.  That the victim is or is not a parent?   

My take is that you can't call the 'victim' a bastidge...

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.