Author Topic: Which flavor ATV?  (Read 3901 times)

Lee

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« on: July 11, 2005, 06:06:25 PM »
I'm looking to buy a new (or very slightly used) ATV.  I don't want a sport model- I want something for hunting, hauling, or simply foolin around in the woods.  Minimum 350cc.  I've looked at Hondas and Yamahas so far, and I'm leaning towrd the Yamaha Grizzly or Kodiak.  I'm interested in your experiences and feedback- particularly those "little things" that a newbie might not even think about when in the buying frenzy...er.. mode.   Thanks in advance!

caseydog

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:42:06 PM »
Buy a bigger machine than you think you need , I'd recommend a 500 minimum for utility use , not for go fast but for the pulling and pushing power the bigger machines offer. When you start packing things on it , or pulling stuff with it you'll love those extra cc's. I'm on my third (and probably last) machine , I went from a 250 to a 350 to a 500.

Honda's have a reputation for being very reliable in the ATV world , that said their utility quads are usually lacking the plush long travel suspension and high traction features of some other brands.

I've ridden the Grizzly 660 and it's a dandy machine , lots of power and a nice ride.

A lot depends on what good dealers you have in your area, you can buy a good machine from a crappy dealer and suddenly the machine isn't as sweet as it could be with good dealer support , there will be a few adjustments or tweaks in the first 6mos on pretty much any machine you buy , let them do it while the machine is in warranty even if you're the handy type.
I've got a Polaris Sportsman 500 and other than another Polaris , I'd sure consider the Grizzly.

Ray

Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

DigMe

Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 07:11:25 AM »
I really like the Kawasaki Prairie Series.  I think they make a 360 now that would be nice.  It's got a comfortable ride and a good automatic gear system.  It's never not been enough for the tasks we use it for.  We've used it to haul semi-large rocks, haul hunting stands and feed etc...  I think it's a pretty good value.

brad cook

Stickjockey

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 07:52:42 AM »
134 cubic inches of good old (and I do mean old) American power! Climb telephone poles if you could get contact with all four tires. cool
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:38:12 PM »
My vote goes to YAMAHA, with Honda a reasonably close second.  I personally wouldn't touch a Honda because of their car company, but that's quite personal.

I've seen nothing but trouble with Kawasukis, big trouble.  Three total bomb lemon Bayou 220's and a Prairie ~350 pile.  

On the Prairie the front CV axles fell out of the hubs for no good reason whatsoever, leaving them to flop around and disabling a most all of the steering radius.  I couldn't believe that crap, junk.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

DigMe

Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 04:29:57 AM »
Both of our Kawasakis ( a bayou and a Prairie) have given us years of pain-free reliable use.

brad cook

Gun Runner

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 10:24:17 AM »
You must've gotten really lucky or else the people I know are the exception.

Some friends of mine had 2 brand new Bayou 220's back in '97, they had nothing but trouble with them.  One they rebuilt the engine 3 or 4 times, I don't know about the other one, but it wasn't a decent machine by any stretch.  They also had to go to the dealer constantly for carburetor problems, the needles broke among other things.  

For some stupid reason we got a new Bayou 220 in '98.  It never ran for snuff right from the start.  It won't idle for anything, turning the idle up didn't help.  Fast idle when the choke is on works.  It very often dies when going from neutral to first gear too.  For some stupid reason it's still around.  Still works and rides too.  Pain-free and reliable though?  Not even close.  

The Prairie 350 is a '01+, possibly an '03, I don't recall and I doubt I'll ever see it again as my ex's dad got rid of it AFAIK.  The first CV axle falling out of the hub I wasn't present for, but I assure you it wasn't being treated roughly.  The second one happened when I was personally riding the machine on flat level ground.  Turning around, and clunk, the other one fell out when the wheels were turned all the way to lock.  Quality.  This being a couple of years ago on a low mileage newish machine.  I wouldn't have touched one after the Bayou incidents, but this really confirmed my beliefs that they're garbage.

Now Hondas and Yamahas on the other hand, wow, I've seen plenty of them put through hell and come back,  still run to tell about it.  That includes a brand new Honda with even the handlebars underwater drug out, restarted and driven down the road.  I don't have time here to talk about all I've seen them do actually.  Antique 3 wheelers included, or maybe I should say, especially.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

DigMe

Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 08:52:08 PM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
You must've gotten really lucky or else the people I know are the exception.
From what I've seen in general around the net kawasakis have a pretty good reputation.

brad cook

Gun Runner

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 11:01:36 PM »
Well that doesn't make me feel any better actually, worse if anything because I don't know why I've only seen the junk ones and we own one.

I did however ride a KFX 400 that I liked the hell out of, very impressed with that machine.  I hope it holds up for the guy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 05:56:38 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Newt

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 10:15:18 AM »
I've owned a Yamaha, two Hondas and a Suzuki.  I didn't have a good experience from the Yamaha.  That's not to say that all Yamaha's are bad.  I've had excellent experiences with my Honda's.  They're by far the toughest machines I've ever owned; workhorses.  I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.  The Suzuki was good as well.  I still own it, but I've been looking into getting another one.  IMO, Honda, Suzuki, and then Yamaha.  I don't know much about the Kawasaki, Polaris, or Arctic Cat, but I've heard good from them all.  Whatever you get, I'd recommend getting a 350cc or bigger.
Newt

Lee

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 06:13:35 PM »
Thanks a lot guys.....I think LOL.  I've got it narrowed down to a Yamaha or Honda.  The Yamaha 400-450cc's have alot going for them for the price.
The Honda Foreman ain't too shabby either.  Decisions...decisions.

What's the best bet for an inexpensive trailer to haul the thing on?

I'm also curious about auto trans vs. manual.  Have you regretted having one or the other?

Gun Runner

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 09:06:38 AM »
A reasonably priced trailer should be able to be had at alot of outdoor rec. vehicle dealers.

As far as auto vs manual.  I wouldn't touch an auto.  Going with a Yamaha, no way, my dad's has an auto and while it's easy to drive and smoothe, it's pretty annoying to me anyway who grew up shifting.  

Going with a Honda, while I like the way the Rubicon shifts in auto mode, and you can change it to manual electronic shifting, the electronics aren't exactly made to be submerged.  And in 15 years when a manual shift machine will grind gears and maybe be missing one here and there, these Hondas won't move.

HBaus

Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 01:19:59 PM »
get a honda, and you will never, ever regret it. they simply WONT break. A honda will take ANY abuse you put it through, and keep on ticking. I've had about 6 of em over the years, and can't say enough good things.

for your requirements, a 300/350cc 4x4 would be ideal. not huge, but plenty of power to do anything you ask of it. 300 is a decent sized machine, and anything the 4 wheeler won't pull , you'll need a truck for.  (mine routinely pulls a loaded hay/straw wagon.

Whereabouts are you in the buckeye??

Lee

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 04:04:18 PM »
I'm just NE of Columbus

HBaus

Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 04:27:27 AM »
so would that put you riding in like wayne national forest or cochocton area, or wellsville?

Lee

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 05:12:20 PM »
I'm definately interested in Wayne...or anywhere really.  This is totally new to me.  I've got a couple of freinds with small farms where I can ride, but I'd love to hit an all day trail in Wayne.

Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 12:38:02 PM »
wayne is nice, but its state run and regulated/ patroled bt ODNR, which sucks.  the single best place to hit around you would be the old power plant in coshocton county.  the land there is awesome, and its not publicly owned, but if you are courteous, its very publicly open.  a buddy of mine has a hundred acres up there, and we put like 75 + miles on the machines in a days ride.  you can go anywhere, as long as you don't piss anybody off.

DigMe

Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 06:24:38 PM »
Today I received the latest issue of Field and Stream in the mail.  They have a short article called "The Toughest Rides for Hunters" that goes over a few ATVs that they like.  The first one listed is the Kawasaki Prairie 360.  It's also the cheapest one at about $1100 less than any of the others.  They say it's a fun ride that's hard to stop driving.  The other three are the Arctic Cat 500 4x4, the Suzuki Vinson 500 Automatic 4x4 and the Honda Fourtrax Foreman 500 ES.

They say that the Suzuki Vinson is "regarded as one of the best made ATVs on the market" and it's very dependable.  The Honda is a "snappy, trail-eating machine," and they seem to like some features of the Arctic Cat.  

brad cook

Schuey2002

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 11:06:24 PM »
If you get The Outdoor Channel in your area, you might want to check out ATV Television. The host on that show has reviewed virtually every major sport and work ATV on the market from top to bottom. It's definitely worth checking out if you do. Wink

He also lists his ATV reviews on his website at www.atvtv.com/testinfo.html

Lee

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 10:44:58 AM »
Thanks folks....hadn't checked this in awhile.  Good info.

Schuey2002

• friend
Which flavor ATV?
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 09:09:14 AM »
Another excellent ATV reviews link on the way (iffin' anyone be interested..)

http://www.atvillustrated.com/atv_reviews.html