Author Topic: House recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world  (Read 5229 times)

Desertdog

• friends

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/12/us_house_okays_resolution_reco.php

Whereas Christmas, a holiday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated annually by Christians throughout the United States and the... (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)

LLAlpha3LELHSEENRLhr847--eh.xml [file 1 of 1]

HRES 847 EH

H. Res. 847

In the House of Representatives, U. S.,

December 11, 2007.
Whereas Christmas, a holiday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated annually by Christians throughout the United States and the world;

Whereas there are approximately 225,000,000 Christians in the United States, making Christianity the religion of over three-fourths of the American population;

Whereas there are approximately 2,000,000,000 Christians throughout the world, making Christianity the largest religion in the world and the religion of about one-third of the world population;

Whereas Christians and Christianity have contributed greatly to the development of western civilization;

Whereas the United States, being founded as a constitutional republic in the traditions of western civilization, finds much in its history that points observers back to its Judeo-Christian roots;

Whereas on December 25 of each calendar year, American Christians observe Christmas, the holiday celebrating the birth of their savior, Jesus Christ;

Whereas for Christians, Christmas is celebrated as a recognition of God's redemption, mercy, and Grace; and

Whereas many Christians and non-Christians throughout the United States and the rest of the world, celebrate Christmas as a time to serve others: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;

(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.
Attest:

Clerk.

CAnnoneer

• friend
This must be a hoax; among other things, HRES number is too low.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
It's real.

Neal Boortz has been talking about it primarily because of the few Democrats who voted against the resolution, even though the voted for a similar resolution for Muslims.

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Yesterday the House voted on a resolution to recognize the importance of Christmas and Christianity in America. Alright Boortz ... big deal. Well I just thought I would point out a bit of hypocrisy.

There were nine Democrats that voted against the Christmas/Christianity resolution. Those representatives were: Rep. Gary Ackerman (N.Y.), Rep. Yvette Clarke (N.Y.), Rep. Diane DeGette (Colo.), Rep. Alcee Hastings (Fla.), Rep. Barbara Lee (Calif.), Rep. Jim McDermott (Wash.), Rep. Robert Scott (Va.), Rep. Pete Stark (Calif.) and Rep. Lynn Woolsey (Calif.).

Now with one exception (Rep. Lee) all of these Democrats voted in favor of the October House resolution to honor Ramadan, a Muslim religious observance day.

Those of you who are surprised by this hypocrisy line up for your spankings now.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Antibubba

• friend
Honoring Ramadan is not the same as honoring an entire religion.

If they pass this bill, they won't be able to say no to any other group of Americans who will press forward having THEIR religions similarly recognized.  Not doing so will be seen as the government endorsing one faith more than another, and you certainly should know what the Constitution says about that.

When did Christians get so fired up about state endorsement?  You'd think Christians were endangered or something.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Honoring Ramadan is not the same as honoring an entire religion.

If they pass this bill, they won't be able to say no to any other group of Americans who will press forward having THEIR religions similarly recognized.  Not doing so will be seen as the government endorsing one faith more than another, and you certainly should know what the Constitution says about that.

When did Christians get so fired up about state endorsement?  You'd think Christians were endangered or something.

At first I thought this was a waste of time, like when my state legislature designated a state soil.  Then I thought if they did more of this, they wouldn't be finding new ways to spend our money.  I think I will send a letter to my rep., asking him to introduce a bill recognizing Norse Paganism.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Wanna bet Bush will veto it unless it has war funding attached?.....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Desertdog

• friends
Not doing so will be seen as the government endorsing one faith more than another, and you certainly should know what the Constitution says about that.

Please, Please, Please, Show me what the Constitution of the United states of America says about endorsing religion.

Amendment 1 of the Constitution of the United States.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I see nothing there that says they cannot recognize the Christian faith as a religion.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
One of these days, Congress will also pass a resolution saying that water is wet.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
One of these days, Congress will also pass a resolution saying that water is wet.

...and then attach a "wetness tax" on it....  angry
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend

Dihydrogen Monoxide Awareness Act.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Not doing so will be seen as the government endorsing one faith more than another, and you certainly should know what the Constitution says about that.

It doesn't.

A lot of them think they are endangered, although I don't know anyone who's fired up about state endorsement.  I've never heard of this thing. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Please, Please, Please, Show me what the Constitution of the United states of America says about endorsing religion.

It is specifically stated in the Nineth and Tenth Amendment. 

Remember, the Constitution does not give any rights.  It solely exists to place limitations on the federal government, and to an extent, state governments.  It choses to enumerate several rights, but very specifically states that enumerating several rights of the people does not mean other rights do not exist.

Now, as a pagan, I could care less if Congress wants to declare Christianity a great religion.  I would care if Congress declared any religion as lesser than Christianity.  Actually, I'd get pretty upset even if Congress declared paganism to be superior to Christianity.  All religions are equal under the law.  That's all I care about at the end of the day. 

Folks wonder why I own firearms.  It's not for hunting, or shoot paper, or any of that other stuff.  If folks want to duckhunt or use uebertacticool kit, I could care less.  Me, I own guns because I've seen what happens when religious nuts go on a rampage.  Mass graves will do that to ya.  The most unholy acts are generally committed in the name of one 'peace loving' deity or another. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Desertdog

• friends

It is specifically stated in the Nineth and Tenth Amendment.

Huh??                 
Amendment IX.

The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be
construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution,
nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States
respectively, or to the people.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Quote from: RevDisk link=topic=10066.msg172166#msg172166 date=1197602983

[b
Folks wonder why I own firearms.  It's not for hunting, or shoot paper, or any of that other stuff.  If folks want to duckhunt or use uebertacticool kit, I could care less.  Me, I own guns because I've seen what happens when religious nuts go on a rampage.  Mass graves will do that to ya.  The most unholy acts are generally committed in the name of one 'peace loving' deity or another.  [/b]

The much larger mass graves of Kampuchea, Russia, China et al, don't do that for ya?

Seriously, a-religious intellectual/philosophical movements have the mass killing "win" easily secured on volume.

The numbers of mass killings actually perpetrated explicitly in the name of any religion fall far short.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
I really like this article.

The war that's coming between the fundamentalist Christians and the hard-core Atheists probably won't be the most violent of the "holy" wars. But it has the potential to be the most annoying. We'll, I'm going to try to stop it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15759_10-things-christians-atheists-can-must-agree-on.html
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Desertdog

• friends
Me, I own guns because I've seen what happens when religious nuts go on a rampage.  Mass graves will do that to ya.  The most unholy acts are generally committed in the name of one 'peace loving' deity or another.
Please, give examples, other thean the Crusades, which by the way, wiped out most of the Muslims in those days.

Hussain, Hitler and the leaders of Russia and China, were not religous nuts but they sure killed a lot of their own citizens.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The more time Congress devotes to this sort of stuff is time they are not using to pick my pocket.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton