Author Topic: -Thread drift.....New travel rules leave Native Americans in limbo  (Read 2259 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
The measure, which is to be followed by requirements for a passport by June 2009, is causing confusion and anxiety among some Native American tribes that straddle the United States' borders with Mexico and Canada.

The second phase for land and sea travel comes into effect on January 31 2008. It will be followed by tougher rules requiring all U.S. citizens to hold passports or new "passport cards," created for limited cross-border travel, by June 1 2009.

Ok, not to be insensitive to the ongoing plight of the natives(particularly since I share in that particular heritage), but am I reading this right? Am I now required to have a passport by 2009? Papers? Um, what?
I must be reading it wrong....
Hi.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Re: -Thread drift.....New travel rules leave Native Americans in limbo
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 01:39:13 PM »
Are Native Americans considered US citizens?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »
We'll let you visit Lebanon without papers.  It's a nice little town.
Beyond that, I don't know.  Albany might require a passport.   laugh
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:11:43 AM »
Hmm, I guess Corvallis is out, too, then. I guess we'll have to look into a work Visa for the wife, she teaches for Linn Benton sometimes. Ya know, it's funny, but I'd be fine not leaving Sweet Home. Well, in a westerly direction, anyway...I do like the woods and gravel pits around the town....
Hi.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 07:13:35 AM »
Sweet Home is a nice place.  I've still got a few relatives on my Dad's side living there.  Some of them owned the A&W many moons ago.
Plus Foster and Green Peter for fishing and boating, and lots of places to shoot.
And you've got Ming Fa for good Chinese.

As long as they don't start requiring papers, it's all good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.