Author Topic: Huckabee Slams Arrogant Bush Whitehouse  (Read 11116 times)

Paddy

Huckabee Slams Arrogant Bush Whitehouse
« on: December 15, 2007, 07:26:37 AM »
This is great.  About time somebody started telling it like it is.  Maybe it's time to take this guy seriously.

Huckabee Sees WH 'Bunker Mentality'

Dec 14, 9:12 PM (ET)

By LIBBY QUAID

(AP) Actor Chuck Norris, left, with Republican Presidential hopeful, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee,...
Full Image

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Mike Huckabee, who has joked about his lack of foreign policy experience, is criticizing the Bush administration's efforts, denouncing a go-it-alone "arrogant bunker mentality" and questioning decisions on Iraq.

Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor now running for the Republican presidential nomination, lays out a policy plan that is long on optimism but short on details in the January-February issue of the journal Foreign Affairs, which is published by the Council on Foreign Relations. A copy of his article was released Friday.

"American foreign policy needs to change its tone and attitude, open up, and reach out," Huckabee said. "The Bush administration's arrogant bunker mentality has been counterproductive at home and abroad. My administration will recognize that the United States' main fight today does not pit us against the world but pits the world against the terrorists."

In one specific criticism, Huckabee said Bush did not send enough troops to invade Iraq. And he accused the president of marginalizing Gen. Eric Shinseki, the Army chief of staff, who said at the outset of the war that it might take several hundred thousand U.S. troops to control Iraq after the invasion. "I would have met with Shinseki privately and carefully weighed his advice," Huckabee said.

He said this year's troop increase under Bush has resulted in significant but tenuous gains, and he said - much as Bush has - that he would not withdraw troops from Iraq any faster than Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander there, recommends. The military has now slowly begun to reverse the troop increase.

Huckabee has previously joked about his lack of experience in international affairs. "I may not be the expert as some people on foreign policy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night," he said earlier this month.

While the Foreign Affairs article is missing the one-liners he is known for, it does have a few folksy comparisons to illustrate his points. On Iran, for example, he makes a case for diplomacy by saying, "Before we put boots on the ground elsewhere, we had better have wingtips there first."

He adds that the U.S. can exploit the Iranian government's hunger for regional clout, saying, "We cannot live with al-Qaida, but we might be able to live with a contained Iran."

Last week, Huckabee missed a report the White House released saying Iran had halted its nuclear weapons program; one day later, the candidate said he was unaware of the report and had been campaigning too hard to read the newspaper or be briefed. The Foreign Affairs article seems to have been written before the report was released, citing "urgent concerns about Iran's development of nuclear weapons."

In his article, Huckabee also thumped Bush for failing to pursue al-Qaida in Pakistan, noting recent terrorism plans, since thwarted, that were planned there: "Whereas our failure to tackle Iran seems to be leading inexorably to our attacking it, our failure to tackle al-Qaida in Pakistan seems to be leading inexorably to its attacking us again."

Earlier Friday, on another topic in Boscawen, N.H., Huckabee said eliminating federal income taxes in favor of a national sales tax would help save Social Security - an odd pitch in a state where residents pay no state income or sales taxes.

"Instead of basing our national budget off of payroll taxes for Social Security ... it means the base of funding is much broader," said Huckabee, whose shoestring campaign has surged nationally and in Iowa, which holds caucuses five days before New Hampshire's Jan. 8 primary.

The tax plan Huckabee has proposed, called the "FAIR tax," would eliminate federal income and investment taxes and replace them with a 23 percent federal sales tax. Even the backers of the tax admit it is unlikely to get through Congress, and other leading GOP candidates have been critical of the idea.

It's a tough sell in New Hampshire, where residents do not pay state income taxes or general sales taxes. Scott Sweezey, a programmer at the plant where Huckabee spoke, said he doesn't know how to make a consumption tax treat people fairly.

"Low-income or retired would pay the same tax as somebody who has a million dollars," said Sweezey, an independent. "I guess if you don't buy anything, you don't pay any sales tax, but if you do buy something, you pay sales tax."

Separately, Huckabee also named Republican political strategist Ed Rollins as his national campaign chairman. Rollins was national campaign director for Ronald Reagan in the 1984 presidential election.

http://apnews.myway.com/image/20071214/Huckabee_2008.sff_CON104_20071214155600.html?date=20071215&docid=D8THJH880

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Huckabee Slams Arrogant Bush Whitehouse
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »
Well, the media and Dems have been tearing into Bush non-stop since before the election in 2000.  His attempts to work with Dems has only pissed off his supporters and encourage more attacks from Dems.  It doesn't surprise me if a bunker mentality might develop after 6 or 7 years of that.  I guess that is why it is a good thing that we have term limits on the President.  Only one more year. 

I guess I am not sure how he would change his foreign policy.  I got the impression Bush has been throwing money at and working with any country that would work with us.  I am not sure how sending troops into Pakistan would help things there.  I agree that area is a problem.

At least he admits we can't just yank the troops out immediately.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »
It seems all I hear from Huckabee is this kind of demagoguery.  Take common criticism of Republican person/group X, and repeat it as if you were saying something profound.  "Ooh, he's really givin' them what-for!"   rolleyes  If that's what it takes to appeal to disaffected Republicans like Riley, though, we grown-ups might have to endure it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:14:26 AM »
At least he admits we can't just yank the troops out immediately.

That's just the problem. We can "yank the troops out immediately". We've done it before in wars we should have never been it and none of the fearmonger prophecies came true.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Len Budney

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 11:52:41 AM »
We've done it before in wars we should have never been it and none of the fearmonger prophecies came true.

Dude, you are SOOOOOO wrong! Look at Vietnam! They predicted that Asia would fall to communism like a string of dominoes, and soon we'd be the only free country left in the world. And we DID pull out of Vietnam, and it DID... um... waitaminnit...

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »
It seems all I hear from Huckabee is this kind of demagoguery.  Take common criticism of Republican person/group X, and repeat it as if you were saying something profound.  "Ooh, he's really givin' them what-for!"   rolleyes  If that's what it takes to appeal to disaffected Republicans like Riley, though, we grown-ups might have to endure it. 

Well said fistful of wisdom. He's just using the popular anti Bush rhetoric in an attempt to boost his ratings. I thought only the Democrat candidates were running against Bush this election.

We've done it before in wars we should have never been it and none of the fearmonger prophecies came true.

Dude, you are SOOOOOO wrong! Look at Vietnam! They predicted that Asia would fall to communism like a string of dominoes, and soon we'd be the only free country left in the world. And we DID pull out of Vietnam, and it DID... um... waitaminnit...

--Len.

Well, umm, South Vietnam actually did fall to communism. As to whether the "Domino Theory" was correct or not, thats what was believed at the time.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Len Budney

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 05:16:47 PM »
Well, umm, South Vietnam actually did fall to communism.

Sure. And The Powers That Be swore that they'd have kept their noses out of it if it weren't for the danger a communist South Vietnam posed to the US.

As to whether the "Domino Theory" was correct or not, thats what was believed at the time.

Just like it was "believed at the time" that Saddam had the bomb. Just like it's "believed" now that Iran has a nuclear program. "Believed at the time" isn't an excuse for unleashing mass death. If I "believe at the time" that Jews use the blood of Christian babies to bake their passover matzo, would that justify my unleashing a pogrom in the local Jewish neighborhood?

The whole point is to learn from experience that the political class should be greeted with serious skepticism whenever they tout an "imminent threat." Especially when they use the "threat" to justify an invasion, a total obligation in the trillions, and the suspension of basic civil rights like habeas corpus. It's asinine to greet it with, "Well, Bush means well, even if he is wrong."

--Len.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »
We never did pull out of Asia as we have kept troops in Korea.  Not sure if you count Japan as Asia.  South Vietnam did fall and so did a few other countries.  We did later find ourselves trying to keep Soviet communism out of South America.  Wasn't it still in the late 70's that Russia invaded Afghanistan.  I believe China and Russia had a bit of a falling out as well, though I don't know much about that one. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 06:00:07 PM »
Well said fistful of wisdom. He's just using the popular anti Bush rhetoric in an attempt to boost his ratings.

Thanks.  I heard him doing something similar with the anti-Religious-Right angst.   rolleyes

I don't think the Republicans need to run against Bush, but they DO need to distance themselves from a lot of what he has done.  But "go-it-alone arrogance"?  That is such tired drivel.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 06:02:02 PM »
His attempts to work with Dems

hehe
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Len Budney

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 06:04:02 PM »
We never did pull out of Asia as we have kept troops in Korea.  Not sure if you count Japan as Asia.  South Vietnam did fall and so did a few other countries.  Nice how you conveniently define the argument so you can say you are right. 

If the entirety of Asia went communist, it would still pose us no danger. A bunch of freaking busybodies want to control the lives of little yellow people thousands of miles away, and they offer obviously false justifications while ignoring the equally obvious immorality of their actions. It's a disgusting display of hubris.

And yes, we need to pull out of Korea and Okinawa as well. We've inflicted enough needless suffering on them.

--Len.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
One of my co-workers served in Korea.  We just had a visit to our plant that was from the Korean subsidiary.  I don't think either one would agree with you that they are suffering.  They certainly would be suffering if a pull out by us allowed N. Korea to take over. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 06:09:50 PM »
His attempts to work with Dems

hehe
Might as well spit it out wooderson and bless us with your wisdom once again.  Cheesy

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 06:13:45 PM »
No, no, regale us with tales of compromise rejected! On which issues and proposals did Bush make a good faith effort to accommodate Democratic desires where he was soundly rejected and ridiculed?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Len Budney

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 06:14:21 PM »
One of my co-workers served in Korea.  We just had a visit to our plant that was from the Korean subsidiary.  I don't think either one would agree with you that they are suffering...

We denied them democracy for four decades. If your friends think that's OK, then I don't need to say what I think of his opinions.

--Len.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »
No, no, regale us with tales of compromise rejected! On which issues and proposals did Bush make a good faith effort to accommodate Democratic desires where he was soundly rejected and ridiculed?
His education bill in the first term.  A lot of Republicans were pretty upset with that one. 

And let me say that I really do appreciate your arrogant and condescending attitude in your post.  It really demonstrates matchless character.  Smiley

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »
One of my co-workers served in Korea.  We just had a visit to our plant that was from the Korean subsidiary.  I don't think either one would agree with you that they are suffering...

We denied them democracy for four decades. If your friends think that's OK, then I don't need to say what I think of his opinions.

--Len.

Denied?  Too bad North Korea has yet to even have a chance at it. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »
We're inflicting suffering on Korea? Really?

I just enjoyed some Korean-made ginger tea that was packaged in high-tech multilayer foil retorts inside a box with professionally designed graphics, along with ISO certifications, standards of purity and such on it. It was like the opposite of a Chinese package.

South Korea's Daewoo is one of the world's largest, most diversified companies, making everything from guns to microchips to supertankers and container ships well over a thousand feet long. Your computer likely has some Daewoo chips in it, and it was probably shipped to the US on a Daewoo cargo vessel.

North Korea has famine and firing squads.

Yeah, we're really making them "suffer"...

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 06:56:51 PM »
His education bill in the first term.  A lot of Republicans were pretty upset with that one.

An education bill that was primarily attacked by Democrats because it was underfunded and tied into a vouchers scheme. And, of course, the modified bill was ultimately passed with overwhelming support from the opposition party.

This, by any measure, does not meet your claim that Bush 'tried to compromise' and was met with rejection and ridicule.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 07:03:41 PM »
This, by any measure, does not meet your claim that Bush 'tried to compromise' and was met with rejection and ridicule.
That was your measuring stick, not mine. 
Obviously, you have a much different view of the matter.  Smiley

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 07:22:20 PM »
O RLY?

"His attempts to work with Dems [...] encourage[d] more attacks from Dems."

Len Budney

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »

Denied?  Too bad North Korea has yet to even have a chance at it. 

What the hell kind of answer is that? We propped up brutal regimes in South Korea, squashed pro-democracy elements in the country, and your answer is that things were also bad in North Korea? We can repress democracy all we want, as long as someone else represses it more?

The fun I can have applying that kind of "logic"! "It's OK to do X, as long as Y does even more X." So:

* I can molest children, as long as I molest fewer than Arthur Schwartzmiller.
* I can rape women, as long as I rape fewer women than Mongezi Jingxela
* I can kill Jews, as long as I kill fewer Jews than Hitler.

Sigh.

--Len.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 07:44:56 PM »
You can kill Jews in the name of freedom, as long as you kill fewer Jews than Hitler.

Heh.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »
"We denied them democracy for four decades."

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

It must be REALLY good *expletive deleted*it in order for it to generate fantasies like that...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 09:03:46 PM »
What do you take issue with? The idea that South Korea was undemocratic, or that the US played a major role in propping up its various government over those 40 years?

If the latter, do you not believe that US support for various juntas kept democracy on the sidelines? Do you not believe that the US could have initiated democratic movement by withdrawing support for said juntas?