Author Topic: Huckabee Slams Arrogant Bush Whitehouse  (Read 11094 times)

Waitone

• friend
Re: Huckabee Slams Arrogant Bush Whitehouse
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 01:33:48 AM »
Back to the original thread direction.

Classic, just freakin' classic.

--Huckabee hires an honest to goodness hardball campaign director in the person of Ed Rollins

--Last week democrats express no worry over Huckabee as a candidate because he could be offed with no sweat.  I believe the term was "glass jaw" and they were just itchin' to bust him.

--Friday of last week news breaks conveniently as it appears that Huckabee was something less than forthcoming and factually accurate in his claim of a degree in theology; a claim he used throughout his political career and certainly during this election season.  http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59222
Some people would say he lied . . . . if they were paying attention to the news late on Friday AND

--They weren't getting all worked up over his slam against Bush foreign policy that appeared the same day. 

So here we have a triple play in the game of politics.  A>Huckabee gets his evident lying out on the record and no one seems to notice, B>a democratic haymaker is counterpunched, and C>Huckabee gets to separate himself from policies of the past.

In one play we have a mis-direction, preemption, and a red herring.  Absolutely brilliant political management on the part of Rollins.  If Rollins can pull off these plays in the first week as quarterback, imagine what he will do with a little preparation and time.  This could be great sport if Rollins keeps it up.

For me?  Huckabee just did something highly unsanitary in his mess kit.  Deceit is not a trait I look for in professing Christians who want to be entrusted with high office.  I regarded him as suspect because of the political swamp out of which he crawled.  He's no longer suspect in my eyes.  He's simply unqualified.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Len Budney

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 02:48:03 AM »
"We denied them democracy for four decades."

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

rolleyes

It's not surprising that you don't know the history--most American's don't. But I mentioned this before, you responded as above, and I cited the history, all in a recent thread. How soon we forget.

The US supported puppet dictator Syngman Rhee until he fled Korea in 1960 with lynch mobs at his heels. When the people attempted to replace him with a democratically elected leader, the US supported General Park Chung Hee's coup. When he was assassinated in 1979, the US supported the takeover of Major General Chun Doo Hwan. Korea finally achieved democracy, no thanks to the US, in 1987.

EDIT: You've made it clear that answering your personal jibe about the "Budneyverse" would be pointless. However, the history is abundantly clear. We supported dictators in the ruthless suppression of pro-democracy elements. There's no way to put a good spin on that without resorting to fallacies like tu quoque (e.g., Mech's defense that at least it wasn't as bad as North Korea), or racism (any sort of insinuation that the little yellow beggars "weren't ready" for democracy), or flat-out imperialism (a South Korean democracy was contrary to our interests, so we suppressed it). What you can't deny is that we helped suppress it from the start of our intervention through 1987.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 05:58:04 AM »
Ah, yes. I don't know the "history..."

Or, at least the "history" as it's defined in the Budneyverse, where outcome is the sole arbiter of history. Antecedent events have absolutely no relevance. How silly of me to forget something like that.

I have to admit, though, that that sort of sloppy take on history is appealing to many, as it removes any sort of necessity to think,  assimilate, or interpret, and is an easy path for those whose ultimate goal of "The United States is evil."

Now, this thread is about Mike Huckabee.

Any further posts that are off topic will be immediately deleted.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 07:02:53 AM »
A>Huckabee gets his evident lying out on the record and no one seems to notice,

Huckabee said (during a debate):

"I'm as strong on terror as anybody. In fact I think I'm stronger than most people because I truly understand the nature of the war that we are in with Islamofascism. These are people that want to kill us. It's a theocratic war. And I don't know if anybody fully understands that. I'm the only guy on that stage with a theology degree. I think I understand it really well."

He later explained:

"I have a bachelor of arts in religion and a minor in communications in my undergraduate work. And then I have 46 hours on a master's degree at Southwestern Theology Seminary. So, my degree as a theological degree is at the college level and then 46 hours toward a masters -- three years of study of New Testament Greek, and then the rest of it, all in Seminary was theological studies, but my degree was actually in religion."

So to you, a degree in theology and a degree in religion are vastly different; it's clear Huckabee purposefully intended to mislead everyone about his credentials because a degree in religion in no way qualifies him to 'understand the nature of the theocratic war with Islamofascism the way a degree in theology would,  and you're just so indignant about it you could spit when you say:

For me?  Huckabee just did something highly unsanitary in his mess kit.  Deceit is not a trait I look for in professing Christians who want to be entrusted with high office.  I regarded him as suspect because of the political swamp out of which he crawled.  He's no longer suspect in my eyes.  He's simply unqualified.

Like you know the difference between the two disciplines, religion v theology anyway?  rolleyes

Gimme a freakin' break. Your  remarks are intellectually dishonest, ruin your credibility, and make you sound like a partisan Democrat.

Len Budney

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 07:12:51 AM »
So to you, a degree in theology and a degree in religion are vastly different... and you're just so indignant about it you could spit...

You have a point. Although we both know they're different, his defense will probably pass with most people. I still think it was deceptive, but he can make a case that he simply "could have put it better."

But his clarification made his debate point even more risible than it was before. The suggestion that some college-course pabulum about Islam, together with philosophical blatherings about man's basic sinfulness, makes him uniquely qualified to deal with terrorists was already laughable in the extreme. When he clarifies that he's studied Greek and a few comparative religion courses, it's even more obvious how retarded his claim was. "Leave Bin Ladin to MEEE! I can speak GREEEEAK!"  rolleyes

Which connects up with Huckabee's efforts to free serial rapists and such. It's obvious that his religious background makes him less suited for dealing with criminals and other threats: his brand of theology is apparently gullible to claimed repentance. If Bin Ladin were to claim he "found Jesus," apparently Huckabee would have him over to the White House picnic to sing Kumbaya together. Especially considering that Clinton labeled him a "terrorist" and made a half-assed attempt to bomb him. He's obviously just another victim of the Clinton machine.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Paddy

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 11:50:11 AM »
It seems all I hear from Huckabee is this kind of demagoguery.  Take common criticism of Republican person/group X, and repeat it as if you were saying something profound.  "Ooh, he's really givin' them what-for!"   rolleyes  If that's what it takes to appeal to disaffected Republicans like Riley, though, we grown-ups might have to endure it. 

It's hardly 'demagoguery' when the majority of the country completely disapproves of Bush and his foreign policy.  That's why it's 'common criticism' as you point out in the second sentence.

And, if you've been paying attention, the Democrats are all running against Bush, which is stupid, considering he won't be on the ticket in '08.  Huckabee essentially cuts them off at the legs with pre-emptive (you do like 'pre-emptive', right?  rolleyes ) criticism of GWB.  So it's a smart political move, too.

BTW, I'm not a Republican anymore.  I used to be (since 1968).  No longer. 

Paddy

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 11:51:52 AM »
So to you, a degree in theology and a degree in religion are vastly different... and you're just so indignant about it you could spit...

You have a point. Although we both know they're different, his defense will probably pass with most people. I still think it was deceptive, but he can make a case that he simply "could have put it better."

But his clarification made his debate point even more risible than it was before. The suggestion that some college-course pabulum about Islam, together with philosophical blatherings about man's basic sinfulness, makes him uniquely qualified to deal with terrorists was already laughable in the extreme. When he clarifies that he's studied Greek and a few comparative religion courses, it's even more obvious how retarded his claim was. "Leave Bin Ladin to MEEE! I can speak GREEEEAK!"  rolleyes

Which connects up with Huckabee's efforts to free serial rapists and such. It's obvious that his religious background makes him less suited for dealing with criminals and other threats: his brand of theology is apparently gullible to claimed repentance. If Bin Ladin were to claim he "found Jesus," apparently Huckabee would have him over to the White House picnic to sing Kumbaya together. Especially considering that Clinton labeled him a "terrorist" and made a half-assed attempt to bomb him. He's obviously just another victim of the Clinton machine.

--Len.

Yada yada.  Even if all that were true, the bottom line is that Huckabee wouldn't have done any worse than Bush.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 12:41:51 AM »
It's hardly 'demagoguery' when the majority of the country completely disapproves of Bush and his foreign policy.  That's why it's 'common criticism' as you point out in the second sentence. 

Do you know what "demagoguery" means?  He was repeating silly things that people want to hear, for political gain.  Of course it's "a smart political move."  Demagoguery usually is. 

BTW, I'm not a Republican anymore.  I used to be (since 1968).  No longer. 
Which you've said a thousand times.  Sorry; I'll add the "former" next time. 

BTW, are you voting next year?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife