Author Topic: Romney says he'd have signed the AWB renewal on Meet the Press  (Read 14687 times)

nico

• friend
Romney says he'd have signed the AWB renewal on Meet the Press
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
It's on MSNBC right now.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22273924/page/4/

et me turn to gun control.  Here's the headline:  "Romney retreats on gun control.  Romney, who once described himself as a supporter of strong gun laws, is distancing himself from that rhetoric now as he attempts to court the gun owners who make up a significant force in Republican primary politics.  In his '94" Senate race, Romney backed two gun-control measures strongly opposed by the National Rife Association and other" guns rights "groups:  the Brady Bill, which imposed a five-day waiting period on gun sales, and a ban on certain assault weapons.  `That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA,' Romney told the Boston Herald.'" "At another campaign stop" "he told reporters, `I don't line up with the NRA.'" Suddenly Romney decides to run for president and signs up for a lifetime membership in the NRA.

GOV. ROMNEY:  You know, it's, it's wonderful, and you'll appreciate this. There is a great effort on the part of, in some cases, my opposition, in some cases, just folks that are interested in writing an interesting article to, to try and find any change at all.  And my position on guns is the same position I've had for a long, long time.  And, and that position is that I don't line up 100 percent with the NRA.  I don't see eye to eye with the NRA on every issue.  I...

MR. RUSSERT:  You're still for the Brady Bill?

GOV. ROMNEY:  I supported the assault weapon ban.  I...

MR. RUSSERT:  You're for it?

GOV. ROMNEY:  I assigned--and I--let me, let me describe it.

MR. RUSSERT:  But you're still for it.

GOV. ROMNEY:  Let's describe what it is.  I signed--I would have supported the original assault weapon ban.  I signed an assault weapon ban in Massachusetts governor because it provided for a relaxation of licensing requirements for gun owners in Massachusetts, which was a big plus.  And so both the pro-gun and the anti-gun lobby came together with a bill, and I signed that.  And if there is determined to be, from time to time, a weapon of such lethality that it poses a grave risk to our law enforcement personnel, that's something I would consider signing.  There's nothing of that nature that's being proposed today in Washington.  But, but I would, I would look at weapons that pose extraordinary lethality...

MR. RUSSERT:  So the assault ban that expired here because Congress didn't act on it, you would support?

GOV. ROMNEY:  Just as the president said, he would have, he would have signed that bill if it came to his desk, and so would have I.  And, and, and yet I also was pleased to have the support of the NRA when I ran for governor.  I sought it, I seek it now.  I'd love to have their support.  I believe in the right of Americans to bear arms...

MR. RUSSERT:  How about the Brady Bill?

GOV. ROMNEY:  The Brady Bill has changed over time, and, of course, technology has changed over time.

MR. RUSSERT:  But the idea of a waiting period.
GOV. ROMNEY:  Well, we have, we have a background check.  That's the key thing.  I support background checks to, to--for people who are going into a store or whatever and buying a weapon, I want them to have a background check to make sure...

MR. RUSSERT:  But you stand by your support of the Brady Bill.

GOV. ROMNEY:  ...to make sure, to make sure that the, that the crazies don't buy guns.

The, the current Brady Bill is, is a different measure than the original.  The original had a waiting period because it took a long time to check on people's backgrounds.  Today we can check instantly on backgrounds.  I don't want to cause a waiting period that's not necessary based upon today's technology. But my position is we should check on the backgrounds of people who are trying to purchase guns.  We also should keep weapons of unusual lethality from being on the street.  And finally, we should go after people who use guns in the commission of crimes or illegally, but we should not interfere with the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns either for their own personal protection or hunting or any other lawful purpose.  I support the work of the NRA.  I'm a member of the NRA.  But do we line up on every issue?  No, we don't.

this man will not get my vote. . . ever.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Romney says he'd have signed the AWB renewal on Meet the Press
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:40:16 PM »
And anyone is surprised because?

Romney and Giuliani aren't Republicans anyplace but the northeast.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 01:45:20 PM »
You beat me to the posting. Michelle Malkin's site made a point of the phrase "extraordinary lethality" in Romney's response. What is "extraordinary" lethality in firearms, and who gets to define it???
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

nico

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »
Oh, I'm not surprised.  I just posted this for the folks who don't think Romney, Guiliani, etc. would be as bad on guns as the Dems.  If Romney is playing the "I'd sign it if it came to my desk" game during the primaries, when he's supposed to be appealing to his base (which apparently doesn't include gun owners with half a brain), what tune is he going to be singing when the general election comes around and he's dealing with soccer moms who don't know the difference between an AR15 and a potato?

fwiw, at least Bush played the "I'd sign it if it came to my desk" game to placate the dems when he knew it wasn't getting to his desk

edit: this is also an example of why I wish (at least in principle) that the NRA would say "both candidates suck" once in a while instead of picking the lesser of two evils. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »
So much for the, "Yeah Romney flip-flopped on X* issue.  But, he'll really owe us for getting him in office and will suck up to us better than even a non-flipper who has always been for issue X."

I'm getting close to taking my ballot and wiping my *expletive deleted*ss with it. 

* And on issues Y, Z, A, B, C...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 05:06:51 PM »
But, but I would, I would look at weapons that pose extraordinary lethality...

And what, praytell, would that be? A 45-70 Government out of a lever-action would probably be one of the most lethal of all, the terms "splatter" and "explosive splintering of bone" would apply. Especially as compared to a .223 at the same range.

GOV. ROMNEY:  ...to make sure, to make sure that the, that the crazies don't buy guns.

Silly peasant. Guns are for the elite. The rabble would rise in a murderous rage if they were allowed to touch them.

That's how he thinks. Piece of lying elitist ___.

I'm tempted to make that line into the refrain of a remix, and do a progessive-house music video using video of gun confiscations in NO, all that sort of thing.

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 05:08:59 PM »
Yeah.  Go ahead.  Keep voting Republican, ye suckers.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 05:46:16 PM »
Hrrmph.  You're voting for Ron Paul.  Talk about being a sucker...

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:48:26 PM »

Ron Paul will never sign a bill limiting or reducing our RKBA.  GUARANTEED.  Say that about any Republican candidate.

Hrrmph indeed.  rolleyes

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »

Ron Paul will never sign a bill limiting or reducing our RKBA.  GUARANTEED.  Say that about any Republican candidate.

Hrrmph indeed.  rolleyes

Well, duh. You can't sign a bill if you can't ever get elected!

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 06:18:17 PM »
Well, duh. You can't sign a bill if you can't ever get elected!

EXACTLY!  Yet the Republican candidate who YOU vote for (if elected, and that's doubtful)  will inevitably infringe on your RKBA.  So you're willing to vote to limit your gun rights.

Like I said, ye suckers

ifyoualwaysdowhatyoualwaysdidyoualwaysgetwhatyoualwaysgot.

Go ahead.  Vote Republican.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »
I hate when I agree with Riley, but the man's right.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »
So tell me Riley, if those eeevil Republicans are so anxious to sign new gun control laws, which party was it that killed the AWB 3 years ago?

Let's see, there are only two parties...

...and it wasn't the Democrats...

...'cause they were eager to renew it...

...so it must have been that other party...

...no, no, it wasn't the Libertarian Party...

...cause you have to get elected before you can influence policy...

...what's the name of that other party again...?

...I can't seem to remember...

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »
...oh, I remember now!

It was the Republicans who killed the AWB!

Silly me, how could I have forgotten that?

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
Ah, yes.  The Republican Party, that GOP, the party of Lincoln and Bush, the the party of liberty and small government.  They throw you a little bone in the form of simply allowing the AWB to sunset (quite a bit different from 'killing' it).  And you're ready to fawn all over them.   You deserve what you get.

ye suckers!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
Golly, now that I think about it, it was also the Republicans who pushed through the Firearm Owners Protection Act.  It was Reagan (what party was he from?) who made that happen.  And when the democrats tried to poison the FOPA with the Hughes amendment (what party was Hughes in?), it was the Republican President who let the firearms community choose what to do.

Hmm, didn't the Supreme Court recently decide to hear a 2nd Amendment case for the first time in a century?  Darn, I wish there had a Republican President in office to add some strict-constructionist judges to the Supreme Court before that case.  Wouldn't it be nice to have those two strict constructionists so that we could be confident that the court would rule in our favor?

The Republicans have managed to kill some gun control in the past few decades.  No all of it, unfortunately, but some.

I bet Riley's party has killed more gun control than the Republican Party.  Right Riley?

Paddy

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »
Ah, yes.  Ronald Reagan.  The same Ronald Reagan who supported the Brady Bill?  I remember him well (since I voted for him.....TWICE!  What the hell was I thinking?)

Dont Blame Liberals for Gun Control

by Richard Poe

NEWSMAX.COM - Anti-gun crusaders seem worried about the advent of a Republican administration. Heaven knows why. Republicans, in recent years, have managed to do nearly as much damage to the Second Amendment as Democrats.

In 1969, journalist William Safire asked Richard Nixon what he thought about gun control. "Guns are an abomination," Nixon replied. According to Safire, Nixon went on to confess that, "Free from fear of gun owners' retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles."

It was President George Bush, Sr. who banned the import of "assault weapons" in 1989, and promoted the view that Americans should only be allowed to own weapons suitable for "sporting purposes."

It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, "prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street." The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.

Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. "I support the Brady Bill," he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, "and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay."

One of the most aggressive gun control advocates today is Republican mayor Rudolph Giuliani of New York City, whose administration sued 26 gun manufacturers in June 2, and whose police commissioner, Howard Safir, proposed a nationwide plan for gun licensing, complete with yearly "safety" inspections.

Another Republican, New York State Governor George Pataki, on August 10, 2, signed into law what The New York Times called "the nations strictest gun controls," a radical program mandating trigger locks, background checks at gun shows and "ballistic fingerprinting" of guns sold in the state. It also raised the legal age to buy a handgun to 21 and banned "assault weapons," the sale or possession of which would now be punishable by seven years in prison.

Gun control crusaders argue that the Republicans are simply yielding to grassroots pressure, to gain political advantage. But polls show little evidence of such pressure.

A Gallup/CNN/USA Today survey taken in June 1999  only two months after the Littleton massacre  showed that the number of Americans who favored stricter gun laws had declined by 20 percent since 1990.

Public support for gun control has dwindled even further since then. An Associated Press poll released on the one-year anniversary of the Littleton shootings shows that Americans favor strict enforcement of existing laws over new gun laws  the exact position of the National Rifle Association (NRA)  by 42 to 33 percent.

That same month, a survey by the Pew Research Center showed that only 6 percent of Americans believed that tougher gun laws would prevent future school shootings.

Meanwhile, a Tarrance Group poll has shown that only 5 percent of Americans want gunmakers and gun dealers held responsible for misuse of firearms.

Clearly, the pressure for gun control is not coming from the grassroots. It comes from those layers of society that the left calls the "ruling classes"  academics, Hollywood stars, Washington insiders and multibillion-dollar media conglomerates.

The latter are particularly influential in pushing anti-gun propaganda. A study by the Media Research Center released in January 2000 showed that television news stories calling for stricter gun laws outnumbered those opposing such laws by a ratio of 10 to 1.

The blame for this media bias is traditionally assigned to "liberal journalists." And, indeed, most journalists do hold left-of-center views. A 1996 survey of working journalists by the Roper Center and the Freedom Forum showed that 89 percent had voted for Bill Clinton in 1992. Only 4 percent identified themselves as Republicans and only 2 percent as conservatives.

Yet, their "liberal" views probably have less impact on the medias anti-gun bias than most people assume. Rank-and-file reporters have little power to influence the political spin even of their own stories.

When I worked at the New York Post in the mid-1980s, I found the newsroom filled with liberals. They grumbled constantly about the papers conservative slant. But they went along with it, because it was company policy.

Liberal news organizations are no different. Political bias comes from the top. Rank-and-file reporters simply do what they are told.

Those of us who cherish our Second Amendment rights are keeping our fingers crossed about George W. Bush. But the monolithic commitment Americas "ruling classes" have shown toward gun control makes one wonder whether even a president is free to buck the current trend.

http://reformed-theology.org/html/issue11/dont_blame_liberals.htm

Go ahead, vote Republican. (Those stalwart defenders of freedom who will roll over and take it up the ass) Just don't come cryin' about the results.

Len Budney

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »
Golly, now that I think about it, it was also the Republicans who pushed through the Firearm Owners Protection Act....

It wasn't "republicans" who did it any more than it was "Islam" that did 9/11. It was specific men who happened to belong to the Republican party. Rudy "Huck" McRomney isn't those men, and won't protect your right to keep and bear arms. Voting for them because they belong to the same party as better men is beyond asinine.

When you consider that there IS a better man in the same party right now, it becomes downright insane. But that's beside the point. The point is that supporting gun-grabbers because they have an (R) after their name is... so stupid that I just gave up trying to think of an adequate superlative. What does one do for an encore? Eat poop with a smile if some huckster calls it ice cream?

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 07:11:16 PM »
Better man?  Ron Paul, no doubt?

It's a pleasant fantasy.  When you're ready to return to the real world, let me know. 

Paddy

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 07:15:24 PM »
It's a pleasant fantasy.  When you're ready to return to the real world, let me know.

Translation:  "I'm all out of ideas and admit defeat".

You're a classic Republican, HTG.

nico

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 07:55:09 PM »
...oh, I remember now!

Calling what the Republicans did "killing" the AWB is being way too generous.  They let it die at a time when it didn't have a lot of support anyway. 

Killing the AWB would have been if they repealed it in the first 3 years of Bush's presidency. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:55 AM »

Translation:  "I'm all out of ideas and admit defeat".

You're a classic Republican, HTG.
Actually, that's not far off the mark.  I am running out of ideas to creatively express how stupid supporting Ron Paul is.  I've had to do it so many times lately.  That's hardly a defeat, because there are plenty of old, tried-and-true ways to denounce Ron Paul and his supporters.

And yes, I am a classic Republican.  Nothing wrong with that.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 05:07:11 AM »
...oh, I remember now!

Calling what the Republicans did "killing" the AWB is being way too generous.  They let it die at a time when it didn't have a lot of support anyway. 

Killing the AWB would have been if they repealed it in the first 3 years of Bush's presidency. 
Renewal had the support of a majority of Americans.  Most Democrat congressmen wanted to renew it.  They would have, if the Republican majority hadn't prevented them.

It was the Republicans who put the sunset provision in the bill in '94.  It was the Republicans who squashed the renewal effort in '04.  The simple truth is that you'd still be paying $100 for hicap magazines and debating muzzle brake vs flash hider if not for your (my?) Republican Party.

You're welcome.

Len Budney

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 05:08:06 AM »
And yes, I am a classic Republican.  NothingNot that there's anything wrong with that.

Heh.

You seem to have missed my point completely: here you are willingly playing a game of "my gun grabber is better than your gun grabber." At the end of the day, you're supporting a gun grabber. Bravo.  rolleyes

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 05:15:16 AM »
And yes, I am a classic Republican.  NothingNot that there's anything wrong with that.

Heh.

You seem to have missed my point completely: here you are willingly playing a game of "my gun grabber is better than your gun grabber." At the end of the day, you're supporting a gun grabber. Bravo.  rolleyes

--Len.

His whole point is that were it not for Republicans in both houses and the White House we would still have an AWB.  How does that translate into "my gun grabber is better than your gungrabber"??
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.