Author Topic: Firearm-related editorial in Austin, TX rag . . .  (Read 3451 times)

HankB

• friend
Firearm-related editorial in Austin, TX rag . . .
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:58:04 AM »
http://www.statesman.com/opinion/content/editorial/stories/12/16/1216obrien_edit.html

This originally came from Kevin O'Brian at The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer . . . it discusses recent events and the Supreme Court . . . I won't post the whole thing, but here's the concluding paragraph, which references SCOTUS Justice Anthony Kennedy, widely seen as a "swing" justice:

Either way, I hope that when Kennedy sits down to decide which way his vote will swing, he'll consider that when the shooting starts, an armed church is a safer place than a "gun-free" mall.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

GeoJAP

Re: Firearm-related editorial in Austin, TX rag . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 06:31:11 AM »
I'm pretty impressed with Austin's attitude towards the Second Amendment and CHLs, even if it is a left-wing hippie town.  I'm from Texas and have lived here for 13 years. 

I have never run across a business with a 30.06 sign.  The city government has decided to make a horse's ass out of itself and post 30.06 signs, which are not legal.  But the people of Austin are pretty libertarian overall and the business owners are downright hospitable to CHLs. 

I have heard that Dallas and San Antonio have many 30.06 signs posted on many businesses, although I have not been there since I got my CHL this year.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:34:40 AM »
I'm pretty impressed with Austin's attitude towards the Second Amendment and CHLs, even if it is a left-wing hippie town.  I'm from Texas and have lived here for 13 years. 

One quote I've heard about Austin is that it's the only place you might see a dreadlocked white hippie in hemp clothing cleaning their SKS.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 06:48:12 AM »
I've not seen many 30.06 signs in Dallas, actually. Not even in the West Village/Park Cities/etc.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »
. . . I have never run across a business with a 30.06 sign.  . . .
They're around, but the places that have compliant PC30.06 signs are not generally open to the public - examples would be the offices and factories of Dell, 3M, etc.

Some other businesses have non-compliant signs - either citing an obsolete law, or saying something like "Security Notice - Concealed Weapons are Prohibited" . . . but of course, these signs have no meaning.

The one place I've noticed that had a sign citing PC30.06 was Half-Price Books . . . and considering it was on a single 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper, it was nowhere near being a "compliant" sign.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:25:21 AM »
The one place I've noticed that had a sign citing PC30.06 was Half-Price Books . . . and considering it was on a single 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper, it was nowhere near being a "compliant" sign.

Perhaps you can only have a gun in a library or bookstore if it has a silencer?

Len Budney

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:27:35 AM »

Perhaps you can only have a gun in a library or bookstore if it has a silencer?

I'd love to see stores start carrying the same sign as the local pistol range: "All firearms must be cased, holstered or concealed." As I translated it for my dad when he was in town and I took him out shooting, "Please don't enter the store waving a gun."  grin

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:38:35 AM »
'06 signs used to be all over Saint Tony's in the mid-90s but gradually faded. 

I did not start going to Austin until right before TR-Tejas closed but I saw exactly one '06 sign (which was, dig this, inside the store, not on the door) and it was in a liquor store (I was confused by this and thought it was a 51% sign so I waited outside and read the paper while my buddy went and got the beer--Fat Tire of course).
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »
I am in DFW and have seen them only at monster-corp owned buildings.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton