Author Topic: Political Partisans Don't Think; They Feel.  (Read 9904 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Political Partisans Don't Think; They Feel.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
The issue isn't whether or not you have "already done your thinking" and reached a decision on some matter. Reread the article and note that the experiment consisted of showing the self-described partisans videos of their politicos making contradictory statements

Statements on topics which I am sure most thoughtful people, and most partisans have covered the biggies, have already done their thinking.

In essence, who cares what the yammering monkey on the screen says, I'm dealing with my own thoughts on the matter.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
Mind you, I'd be just as amused to see a liberal trope concerning conservatives detonate in their faces.

True dat.

I had a similar experience as a religious guy with a math degree: when the atheist crowd slandered my kind (and by implication, me) as irrational, it hurt. I did some painful self-examination to root out any irrationality in myself. But I also looked hard at them--and noticed their own irrational, tightly-held beliefs. They were dead certain of all sorts of things that rationally aren't proven with such certainty. Bush did/didn't steal the 2000 election; the Civil War was/wasn't about slavery; the Gulf War was/wasn't about oil; Oswald was/wasn't acting alone; the list goes on. I have opinions on all of those, but enough honesty to admit room for doubt. The atheist crowd was a cesspool of unverified assumptions, dogmatic assertions and such like.

--Len.

I would recommend reading "Terror in the Mind of God" by Mark Jurgensmeyer  The author discusses that as our society becomes more rational, some religious people become more irrational simply as a way to rebel and fight against a world that is changing to fast for them.  All religions do it.

Either way both major parties, liberal and conservative, we all have people that refuse to be open minded.  I myself am somewhat closeminded about some issues. 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 04:08:10 AM »
politicos making contradictory statements. 
Politicos, at least the starts in the show, are given to making contradictary statements.

Were these same contradictary politicos the ones that had their brains MRI scanned?