Author Topic: Judge says: White House logs are public  (Read 2995 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Judge says: White House logs are public
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:04:42 AM »
 http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_on_go_pr_wh/white_house_secrecy

By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer
6 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - White House visitor logs are public documents, a federal judge ruled Monday, rejecting a legal strategy that the Bush administration had hoped would get around public records laws.

The ruling is a blow to the Bush administration and prominent religious conservatives.

Visitor records are created by the Secret Service, which is subject to the Freedom of Information Act. But the Bush administration has ordered the data turned over to the White House, where they are treated as presidential records outside the scope of the public records law.

But U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth ruled logs from the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's residence remain Secret Service documents and are subject to public records requests.

In a lawsuit brought by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a liberal watchdog group, Lamberth ordered the Secret Service to turn over visitor logs regarding nine conservative religious commentators, including James Dobson, Gary Bauer and Jerry Falwell.

"I think it's hugely significant," said Anne L. Weismann, the watchdog group's chief counsel. "The judge saw their arguments for what they were."

In a separate case, CREW had sought an order declaring illegal a Bush administration policy under which the Secret Service destroys its copies of the logs once they are turned over to the White House.

In that second case involving White House visits by disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff, Lamberth said he did not have the authority to issue such a ruling.

Because the logs were declared Secret Service records, however, they cannot be destroyed without approval from the National Archives.

The Bush administration can appeal the ruling.

why would Prisident Bush care if these are public record or not?

have any other presidents tried to cover up who they have dealings with?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Len Budney

Re: Judge says: White House logs are public
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »
why would Prisident Bush care if these are public record or not?

I suspect he really doesn't care. It's just a particular case of a general philosophy that everything relating to the Presidency is privileged and above public scrutiny. In his view, the Decidinator decides, and the rest of us accept his decisions from on high. We don't question anything, and if we try to, we're getting no answers. 'Cuz he's the decidinator.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:30:36 AM »
The Decidinator??? grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »
. . . have any other presidents tried to cover up who they have dealings with?
I think I'd like to know how many times Marilyn Monroe and Angie Dickenson visited the Kennedy White House . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
I think I'd like to know how many times Marilyn Monroe and Angie Dickenson visited the Kennedy White House . . .

i'd love to see a video of what they did at the white house.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 10:16:40 AM »
LOL! If only camera phones were around......
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »

Is that secret "code" for some other activity involving JFK & his ladies?... Wink

...and, if we were talking about Ted Kennedy, would we call it "visiting the Kennedy Draft House"?.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 04:56:31 PM »
In the Clinton era, the White House log was certainly quite public, from time to time.  Yuk, yuk, yuk. 

Sorry. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 04:14:07 AM »
It must be winter. I read that thread title, and pictured tourists walking out with smoking souvenirs from the White House fireplaces.