Author Topic: Call or write or email your Governors and State AG's  (Read 1957 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Call or write or email your Governors and State AG's
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
Story of responsive government to tell.

In response to a thread over on TGZ forum, I finally got off my butt last Friday and sent an email to Gov. Sarah "The Hottest State Chief Exec in the USA" Palin (R - AK) asking if the State AG was going to be filing an Amicus Curii brief on Heller.

Lo and behold on Sunday at 7pm I get a call, not a form letter or email, an honest to G-d living person phone call, from a staffer.  We talked for a bit, he has been following the case himself and checked, the State AG is finishing up the letter and will be filing it in conjunction with Texas and the states that filed in support to the Appeals Court hearing.  Texas, in his understanding, has been kind of taking the lead among the supporting states.

He's getting a copy sent to him when it is out and will forward it to me.  I'll post it so we can see what it looks like.

Anyway, how about that, an actual phone call.

THIS is why most politics should be at the State level.  Now I have no excuse for not getting involved.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grampster

• friend
Re: Call or write or email your Governors and State AG's
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »
Done.  Message to the Governor our State Senator and Congressman.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:02:10 PM »
What is that going to do?  The issue will be decided on the merits, not on a CNN poll.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »
I don't think Amicus briefs by the Attorney's General of the several states of their opinions on a particular case in front of the Supreme Court of the Republic of those several states is a mere "CNN poll".

The case will be determined on its merits, but knowing the opinions of those merits held by the folks who will be potentially dealing with the consequences of the ruling can't hurt to be heard in their deliberations.

They aren't a sequestered jury after all, they are allowed to look for information from wherever they like (say, from the Federalist papers or contemporary state Constitutions) as they weigh a question against the Constitution.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."