Author Topic: Anyone know how Paul voted on the MLK Jr. Day bill?  (Read 4917 times)

wooderson

• friend
Anyone know how Paul voted on the MLK Jr. Day bill?
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:23:01 AM »
In the wake of the Stormfront deal, looks like the Paulistas are planning their next money bomb for MLK Jr. Day.

Paul was in the House when it passed and was signed, and given his 'principled opposition' to awarding Congressional medals and such... I'm curious how he voted on the holiday itself.

I ask because some people might take issue with the Paulistas using a holiday honoring a civil rights leader - a holiday that their fearless leader opposed - to cleanse some of that white power stink.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: Anyone know how Paul voted on the MLK Jr. Day bill?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
Until verified, shouldn't that read "A holiday their leader may have opposed"?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:33:26 AM »
The hypothetical nature is taken care of in the first clause of that sentence.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 07:51:08 AM »
I must have missed something - what deal with that online hive of scum?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
Stormfront chief donated money to Ron Paul ('they both want strong borders!'), Paul decided to keep it.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 08:59:34 AM »
RC289, 8/2/1983: TO SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS H.R. 3706, A BILL AMENDING TITLE 5, UNITED STATES CODE TO MAKE THE BIRTHDAY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., A LEGAL PUBLIC HOLIDAY. (MOTION PASSED;2/3 REQUIRED)

The Ayes were 338, the Nays were 90

Notable persons voting no: John McCain, Larry Craig, Trent Lott, Phil Gramm, Ron Paul

And an extra

RC190, 9/15/1981: TO SUSPEND THE RULES AND AGREE TO H. CON. RES. 153, TO AUTHORIZE A BUST OR STATUE OF DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JUNIOR, TO BE PLACED IN THE CAPITOL. (MOTION AGREED TO)

Passed 386-16

Notable Nays: Ron Paul, Larry Craig

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »
I would be quite curious as to why Paul said no to a simple honoring bust. Who were the others who voted no? I want to see all their names.

Isn't that what the lobby of one of "our" buildings is for, honoring great Americans who made a difference, not just insiders holding political office?

Fascinating.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 09:04:57 AM »
I'm sure it's the same as his argument against all Congressional medals - it costs taxpayers money and is clearly unconstitutional.

(nb: this does not stop him from helping get money sent to his district or aiding constituents in getting their unconstitutional Social Security checks or anything)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »
RC289, 8/2/1983: TO SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS H.R. 3706, A BILL AMENDING TITLE 5, UNITED STATES CODE TO MAKE THE BIRTHDAY OF MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., A LEGAL PUBLIC HOLIDAY. (MOTION PASSED;2/3 REQUIRED)

How and where did you find that?  House.gov only goes back to the 101st congress, so stuff from the early '80's isn't there.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:25:47 PM »
Does Ron Paul oppose honors for all prominent Americans, or only honors for blacks?  I wouldn't care otherwise, but he did knowingly accept money from white supremacits recently.  I'd like to know if these are just anomalies, or if they perhaps indicate something more.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 07:40:31 PM »
Does Ron Paul oppose honors for all prominent Americans, or only honors for blacks?  I wouldn't care otherwise, but he did knowingly accept money from white supremacits recently.  I'd like to know if these are just anomalies, or if they perhaps indicate something more.

If you can get me a list of white supremecists in the nation I could probably do the cross-check for you. Smiley

Thus far I'd say $500 out of $20,000,000 could be consdiered an anomaly.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Oops, thought I caught the attribution when I copied and pasted - friend of mine looked it up using Voteview software, which has voting records dating back to the first Congress, I believe.

I'd never heard of it before.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »

If you can get me a list of white supremecists in the nation I could probably do the cross-check for you. Smiley

Thus far I'd say $500 out of $20,000,000 could be consdiered an anomaly.
It's the votes against MLK that bother me.  That man truly does deserve national honors.  On their own I wouldn't think anything of the votes.  But in light of the white supremacist thing, they take on new meaning.  Maybe.  Or Maybe not.

Dr. Paul also implied that Christians were fascists the other morning.  Again, on its own, probably not worth worrying about.  But when numerous incidents appear over a prolonged period of time, a trend begins to develop.  It's worth investigating further.

Rainsford

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
Dr. Paul also implied that Christians were fascists the other morning.
I think you're being a little too quick on the draw.

Throughout history, oppressive regimes have often hijacked religions as a stepping stone towards seizure of power (and thus towards fascism/oppression/etc). See: christian divine right, sharia, medieval vatican, even some collusion between Nazis and german protestant institutions involving anti-jewish sentiment (Godwyn's law!). I think that Ron Paul, being the liberty minded individual that he is, was issuing a warning that this could happen to we-the-people if we let a faction within the government manipulate us through religion. The warning was not anti-religion or anti-christian, but anti-fascism.

I'll tell you flat out that I'm not a religious man, which may disqualify me in your eyes from making the following statement. Ron Paul, to me, comes off as being more religious than many of the other big candidates. Mitt Romney, John McCain, and Rudy Giuliani all seem to downplay their religion, which shows in their platform as well as their image. Note his distinctly religious pro-life and pro-prayer-in-schools positions.

In fact, if you want to talk about republican candidates who distinctly out-christian Ron Paul, the list is as short as Huckabee and Hunter.

------ Also, on the stormfront.org donation issue: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CrRtZaG63o8 Starts at about 3:20.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 12:59:03 AM »
I have no problem with him opposing an holiday for MLK.  MLK deserves to be honored, but not so much so that he shoulders G Washington & A Lincoln out of the way on the calendar.

Affirmative action is the wrong answer, even for dead people.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 01:10:28 AM »
It's the votes against MLK that bother me.  That man truly does deserve national honors.  On their own I wouldn't think anything of the votes.  But in light of the white supremacist thing, they take on new meaning.  Maybe.  Or Maybe not.

Dr. Paul also implied that Christians were fascists the other morning.  Again, on its own, probably not worth worrying about.  But when numerous incidents appear over a prolonged period of time, a trend begins to develop.  It's worth investigating further.
Have to say, not RP's biggest fan (don't have a vote anyway), but I'm not sure you'd like this sort of logic and reasoning (it's the kangaroo variety) being applied to your preferred candidate.

If Paul is consistent in his refusal to award what he regards as unconstitutional recognitions or awards then I don't really see the link to the questionable acceptance of stormfront money. That is curious, but he's unlikely to be the first to accept money from distasteful sources.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 04:12:04 AM »
There is, of course, also that more current affront to MLK.

Yeah, they're finally building a memorial with a statue.

Made in China. From Chinese granite.

(and even though the owner of the quarry up here that supplies granite for a lot of monument carvers said he'd donate it!)