Author Topic: Man fights off robbers, has cash stolen by the FBI  (Read 11737 times)

Warren

Man fights off robbers, has cash stolen by the FBI
« on: December 21, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=47047j

First it was taken by the local cops and then the Feds stepped in and grabbed it saying the man could not prove he earned it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Man fights off robbers, has cash stolen by the FBI
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:25:01 PM »
Yep, sacrificing a little security for safety is a good thing.  Just ask this guy (or anyone else who's had their hard-earned money stolen by the govt. because they "couldn't prove they earned it.")

Every time I see something like this I'd like to wring the necks of the big-govt crowd and the govt goons they want empower even more.

angry

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »
Every time I see something like this I'd like to wring the necks of the big-govt crowd and the govt goons they want empower even more.

You'd get awful tired ... that is an awful lot of necks Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »
Hey, you gotta keep an eye on those retired steel foundry workers so they don't get uppity and decide to accumulate cash over the years.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 04:12:29 PM »
That $400k has likely already been spent on office furniture or parties training. Seized assets and all...

Silly man. You're not allowed to secret money away, you're either supposed to have it in a BANK so it can be kept track of, or spend it on plastic electronics and consumer crap from China.

Why, what would happen to our voracious consumer-driven consumption economy if more people put away money like this?

Ahh yes. Right.

That's why.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »
Bullshit. NOBODY has $400k in cash in their house unless they got it illegally.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 04:15:42 PM »

Either you're being sarcastic, or your armband is on order.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »

Regardless, even if he did get it illegally the burden of proof SHOULD be on the FBI. Reminds me a lot of this story - http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=6979363&nav=AbC0

And how did the FED's seize jurisdiction over this? I don't see anything about this case (or in the constitution) that would nessecitate federal intervention. I guess cash is a lot harder to track and those thugs don't like it because it make their beloved PATRIOT act harder to use.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 04:36:42 PM »
Oh, I completely agree.  The government has no business taking the man's money. IF he got it illegally, they should prosecute him for whatever crimes he committed.  Instead, they take the route of 'confiscating' his money.  It's wrong, but NOBODY will do anything about it.  Not him, nor anyone else.  So either do something about it or STFU, ok?   This has happened before and will happen again, yet all we do is bitch about it on some internet board. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Unless one of the victims manages to get it all the way up to the supreme court, I'm not sure what can be done.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 04:40:10 PM »
And don't forget, the 'Patriot Act' was the work of a REPUBLICAN President and a REPUBLICAN Congress.  So go ahead, vote REPUBLICAN again, ye suckers.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
This confiscation thing has already been settled by the SCOTUS iirc.  It's based on some obscure 18th century law of the sea.  The decision came out of a deal where a man was arrested while attempting to pick up a hooker and the police confiscated his car.  His wife objected because the car was titled in her name, not her husbands.  Tough buns sayeth the court.  I think it was in Detroit.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »
And don't forget, the 'Patriot Act' was the work of a REPUBLICAN President and a REPUBLICAN Congress.  So go ahead, vote REPUBLICAN again, ye suckers.

It's not just the republicans. The Senate nearly unanimously approved it. 98 Senators voted for it, one Dem didn't and one was absent. The House was a little wiser, but not by much 357-66. 211 Republicans and 145 Dems said yes to this piece of garbage legislation. Fortunetly out of the three House Republicans who happened to vote no on this, one of them is running for president. Smart guy I tells ya.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »
Never mind the fact that asset forfeiture laws are more closely related to the war on drugs and really don't have much to do with the war on terror or the Patriot Act.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »
This confiscation thing has already been settled by the SCOTUS iirc.  It's based on some obscure 18th century law of the sea.  The decision came out of a deal where a man was arrested while attempting to pick up a hooker and the police confiscated his car.  His wife objected because the car was titled in her name, not her husbands.  Tough buns sayeth the court.  I think it was in Detroit.

It's not that obscure-it's an in rem proceeding in most cases.

Ie, it's a legal action against the physical property, not the person. That isn't that obscure; it's been used in civil actions for quite some time.  The law of the sea thing you're thinking of may be that in maritime law, you can sue a ship in rem and hold it liable for damages. 

The best thing to do is to get politicians that pass laws forbidding the executive from doing this; unfortunately, that would be seen as "soft on drugs", and they'd lose their campaigns.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

WeedWhacker

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 11:23:15 PM »

It's not just the republicans. The Senate nearly unanimously approved it. 98 Senators voted for it, one Dem didn't and one was absent. The House was a little wiser, but not by much 357-66. 211 Republicans and 145 Dems said yes to this piece of garbage legislation. Fortunetly out of the three House Republicans who happened to vote no on this, one of them is running for president. Smart guy I tells ya.

This wouldn't be that doctor fella from Texas, would it?
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 02:47:34 AM »

This wouldn't be that doctor fella from Texas, would it?

The more I hear about that guy, the more I'm tempted to vote for him......

B/t the Islamofascists & the Fedofascists, I'm not sure who I should be more afraid of. At least the IF's want to just kill me outright....  undecided
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 06:32:09 AM »
Unless one of the victims manages to get it all the way up to the supreme court, I'm not sure what can be done.

Oh, I could think of some things .....   shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 06:36:22 AM »
The more I hear about that guy, the more I'm tempted to vote for him......

Four years of Jimmy Carter with an R letting the terrorists regroup and attack us, four years of the dollar following the peso while the black-helicopter-tinfoil-nuts run gibbering in the streets, feeling validated?

No thanks.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »

Your "Bullshit" is, well... Bullshit.  Four hundred grand is $8000 a year for 50 years.  If you live simply and keep all your extra money in cash it would be do-able.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »
Or $10k a year for forty years, or $13,333.34 a year for 30 years, of $20k a year for 20 years.............. laugh

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 10:42:32 AM »
Four years of Jimmy Carter with an R letting the terrorists regroup and attack us

That's only if you buy into that whole "They hate us for our freedoms" B.S. And we are already letting them  regroup. How does the Iraq Cluster**** stop terrorism? It doesn't. All it does is piss off more Muslims. And that is the reason we have a terrorist threat, not because of our freedoms, but because we don't mind our own damn business. /rant

four years of the dollar following the peso

Yeah, after all, our dollar is doing marvelous right now. rolleyes

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 10:51:27 AM »
And that is the reason we have a terrorist threat, not because of our freedoms, but because we don't mind our own damn business. /rant

Because that worked so well before WWII, when dealing with other expansionist agressors.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »

WTF ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
It oughta be the gooberment's burden to prove he got it illegally, not the other way around.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 12:05:58 PM »
So IS there a connection to the USAP Act here, or is that just the usual Riley re-direction? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife