Author Topic: UK living standards outstrip US  (Read 9853 times)

Paddy

UK living standards outstrip US
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:27:35 AM »
Living standards outstrip those across the Atlantic for first time in over a century
David Smith, Economics Editor

LIVING standards in Britain are set to rise above those in America for the first time since the 19th century, according to a report by the respected Oxford Economics consultancy.

The calculations suggest that, measured by gross domestic product per capita, Britain can now hold its head up high in the economic stakes after more than a century of playing second fiddle to the Americans.

It says that GDP per head in Britain will be ?23,500 this year, compared with ?23,250 in America, reflecting not only the strength of the pound against the dollar but also the UK economys record run of growth and rising incomes going back to the early 1990s.

In those days, according to Oxford Economics, Britains GDP per capita was 34% below that in America, 33% less than in Germany and 26% lower than in France. Now, not only have average incomes crept above those in America but they are more than 8% above France (?21,700) and Germany (?21,665).

The past 15 years have seen a dramatic change in the UKs economic performance and its position in the world economy, said Adrian Cooper, managing director of Oxford Economics. No longer are we the sick man of Europe. Indeed, our calculations suggest that UK living standards are now a match for those of the US.

Although many people will be surprised by the figures, Americans have long complained that average incomes have been stagnant in their country. One often-quoted statistical comparison suggests that in real terms the median male full-time salary in America is no higher now than it was in the 1970s.

Oxford Economics says that while the comparisons are affected by sterlings high value against the dollar, they also reflect longer-term factors. The UK has been catching up steadily with living standards in the US since 2001 � so, it is a well established trend rather than simply the result of currency fluctuations, its report says.

It concedes, however, that a significant fall in the pound against other currencies would push Britain back down the ladder. It has assumed an exchange rate of just over $2 for the purpose of the calculation but in recent days the pound has slipped below that level.

The Oxford analysts also point out that Americans benefit from lower prices than those in Britain. With an adjustment made for this purchasing power parity, the average American has more spending power than his UK counterpart and pays lower taxes. (In the run-up to Christmas many Britons travelled to New York and other American cities to take advantage of the strength of sterling against the dollar and those lower prices.)

However, the British typically have significantly longer holidays than Americans as well as access to free healthcare.

The figures may be of small comfort to Britons worried about house prices and facing a severe squeeze on their incomes this year as a result of record petrol prices and rising energy bills.

Citigroup, which was the most accurate forecaster of Britains economy last year, predicts the slowest rise in consumer spending this year since 1992.

After the credit-fuelled boom in domestic demand and asset prices, the UK economy now faces a hangover, with slowing credit growth, falling property prices and tightening lending standards, said Michael Saunders, its UK economist.

Last week oil prices hit $100 a barrel, presaging a rise in petrol and diesel prices on the fore-courts. Npower, Britains fourth biggest energy supplier, announced that energy prices would go up sharply, raising the prospect of the average household bill rising above ?1,000 for the first time.

America overtook Britain economically in the final years of the 19th century, during the so-called second industrial revolution, which brought mass manufacture and sharply rising prosperity to the United States.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article3137506.ece

And this is in spite of the higher tax structure, so-called 'socialized medicine' and the general 'nanny state' Europeon environment of the UK. compared to the U.S.   So there must be something else working against Americans.  I know what it is. Do you?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: UK living standards outstrip US
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:29:37 AM »
Ooh, ooh!  Evil corporations?  Do I win a prize? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:31:41 AM »
Of course not.  It's the evil boomers, stealing your social security. duh.  rolleyes

Now get serious. Your standard of living is dropping.  Do you care?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:35:22 AM »
The figures may be of small comfort to Britons worried about house prices and facing a severe squeeze on their incomes this year as a result of record petrol prices and rising energy bills.

Scant comfort indeed. Npower's gas bills are supposed to be rising by 17%.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:39:58 AM »
I wouldnt move to England for all the tea in China.  Totally misleading story.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:51:25 AM »
seems plenty of brits feel te same way  we have a whole colony of them who are bringing the family too

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:58:21 AM »
Look up what percentage of British households get their primary income from the public dole. The remainder are taxed to death to pay for them. Work hard, you pay. Don't want to work, you can live alright.

Oh, yes, and don't dare watch OTA TV without paying the television tax, or the Television Police are authorized to sniff out your reciever with an antenna van, then enter your residence to look for unlicensed TVs. The gas and electric companies can enter your home without permission, too.

If someone breaks in to steal things, don't you dare hurt them, or you'll be arrested! The most you can do is file a Complaint, and threaten them in hopes they'll leave. But don't hit them with anything, or you're in for it.

Sounds like hell, to me.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 07:22:41 AM »
Sounds like a quirk in the exchange rates is the only factor at play here.  The article even acknowledges recent changes in the rates may have already invalidated the results.

Anyone know what the average after-tax incomes are in each country?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:10:12 AM »
I just had a thought . . . do the people living in Mexico know this? If they realize that the UK offers them a better lifestyle, maybe they'll go THERE, instead!!!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 08:11:32 AM »
I just had a thought . . . do the people living in Mexico know this? If they realize that the UK offers them a better lifestyle, maybe they'll go THERE, instead!!!

That's a long swim...
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 08:13:06 AM »

The people in the sandbox do. That's why they keep going there and trying to change it in the very ways that made the sandbox into a collection of dysfunctional hellholes.

The Viking

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:32:29 AM »

The people in the sandbox do. That's why they keep going there and trying to change it in the very ways that made the sandbox into a collection of dysfunctional hellholes.

I'm almost willing to bet that there are even more of the folks from the sandbox coming to Sweden...we sure take in helluva lot of them. The next election might prove...interesting...or we might have a fullblown civil war on our hands before the election, as a comparison to the slight disobedience, attacks on firefighters, paramedics and cops in by our cultural enrichers in the ghettos. Either way, I intend to have a large supply of firearms, ammo, food and water before that...

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 08:38:55 AM »
Gas is $10 a gallon, the vaunted National Health sucks, and the country is increasingly owned by Arab states.  Yes, many grounds for cheers, I'd say.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »
Of course not.  It's the evil boomers, stealing your social security. duh.  rolleyes
Oh, they can have that. 

Now get serious. Your standard of living is dropping.  Do you care?
Obviously, not.  I'm wasting my time talking to you. 

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »
The food stinks too.  That's what drove my family out . . . well, that and we backed the wrong horse in the civil war. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
The food stinks too.  That's what drove my family out . . . well, that and we backed the wrong horse in the civil war. grin

That's not something an American should be proud of, unless you're talking longer term backing of the wrong horse and it was 1660 that caused the leaving.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
What civil war is the one he should be ashamed of? 

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 10:03:34 AM »
The Oxford analysts also point out that Americans benefit from lower prices than those in Britain. With an adjustment made for this purchasing power parity, the average American has more spending power than his UK counterpart and pays lower taxes.

Here's an example of what cars cost in Britain.

Take, for example, the Jeep Grand Cherokee.  In the United States, its base price is $29,215

According to Jeep's UK site, a base model Grand Cherokee is 24,590 GBP

Plug that figure into an online currency converter, and 24,590 GBP = 48,538.32 USD!!!!!!!!!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »
What civil war is the one he should be ashamed of? 
Most vaguely sensible countries only have the one civil war, if that.

Backing the wrong horse in the civil war implies support for the subsequently executed wannabe absolute monarch, Charles I. Having to leave in 1660 would suggest that during the civil war ones family was Parliamentarian (or agin the King) and the Restoration necessitated fleeing.

Having an ancestor who was a regicide is worth lots of bonus points.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 03:49:35 AM »
. . . our cultural enrichers in the ghettos . . .
I like that term . . . I'm going to use it sometime in the future,  without attribution. Sorry in advance.  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 05:43:34 AM »
So, the GDP per person is going to be 250 pounds sterling higher in Britain, yet their taxes are FAR higher and their purchasing power is, as the article says, Americans have greater spending power.

I suspect that were you to factor things like that into the entire equasion, instead of focusing on a single, largely meaningless datapoint, the American standard of living is still far and away better much better than it is in Britain.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:05 AM »
When we stop subsidizing the world by being the world's free policeman and we stop importing poverty by illegal immigration, we will get back up there where we belong.

For the record, I like the UK and its culture and people, although I detest their social policies. If anything, they need another revolution, an armed and bloody one.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 06:35:59 AM »
When we stop subsidizing the world by being the world's free policeman and we stop importing poverty by illegal immigration, we will get back up there where we belong.

For the record, I like the UK and its culture and people, although I detest their social policies. If anything, they need another revolution, an armed and bloody one.

I won't be sending any weapons. The last time the US lent them a bunch of guns, even ones civilians donated, they dumped them in the Atlantic.

The Viking

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »
. . . our cultural enrichers in the ghettos . . .
I like that term . . . I'm going to use it sometime in the future,  without attribution. Sorry in advance.  grin
Go ahead, I didn't come up with it anyway. I don't really know the origin of it, but I've got a good hunch...

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 11:08:28 AM »
I wonder if you can guess which "Statistics" related quote immediately came to mind when I read that report?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.