Author Topic: UK living standards outstrip US  (Read 9846 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: UK living standards outstrip US
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
Iain, we backed the losing side.  So we left after everything got seized.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Paddy

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:47 PM »
heh.  My gggg grandpappy backed the wrong side in the American Rev War.  They kicked him out and he went to Canada where King George gave him land.  Took us 120 years to get back here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
What civil war is the one he should be ashamed of? 
Most vaguely sensible countries only have the one civil war, if that. 

You're saying Britain has had several?   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »
The title is flat wrong. Their income may exceed ours, but if you look at actual purchasing power, their standard of living doesn't even come close.
D. R. ZINN

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »

You're saying Britain has had several?   cheesy

Ouch!
Actually, a long-ago uncle o' mine helped start G.B.'s second civil war by booting and beheading Charles I.  Unfortunately, the public quickly realized they preferred a King to a Lord Protector, but I still look for opportunities to dethrone kings whenever possible.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 03:04:35 AM »
Yes, Britain has had several internal conflicts that qualify as civil wars...

At the top of the heap are the War of Roses and the English Civil War...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 04:40:23 AM »
Yep several, although the big one generally gets run together into one conflict rather than three, people like to argue over whether to call it the English Civil War or the British Civil War. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_civil_wars New to me that the period is also referred to as the Wars of the Three Kingdoms.

By my definition there are probably very few countries that qualify as vaguely sensible, and we've had quite a few centuries to forget our senses here and there. I've seen 1642-51 claimed as being responsible for a greater percentage of deaths of the total population of England/Britain than the 20th century world wars.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »
I won't be sending any weapons. The last time the US lent them a bunch of guns, even ones civilians donated, they dumped them in the Atlantic.

Funny you should mention that. Apparently, our own gov decided to destroy warplanes and tanks which survived the lend-lease. The Russkies maintained them and returned them in excellent condition at a port in the Far East (Vladivostock?). A US ship loaded a portion up, got out a few miles into the ocean, used a giant hydraulic press to crush them into small blocks, dumped the blocks into the sea, then chugged back to port to load up the next batch. When he heard about it, Stalin ordered that all surviving Shermans (Emkas) be disarmed and then used turretless as tractors. On paper, they were registered as war casualties, so that they are not returned for dumping into the ocean.

Fascinating story. If interested, read the source: "Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks" by Dmitriy Loza (memoirs). It is available from Amazon.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 10:27:58 AM »
I won't be sending any weapons. The last time the US lent them a bunch of guns, even ones civilians donated, they dumped them in the Atlantic.

Funny you should mention that. Apparently, our own gov decided to destroy warplanes and tanks which survived the lend-lease. The Russkies maintained them and returned them in excellent condition at a port in the Far East (Vladivostock?). A US ship loaded a portion up, got out a few miles into the ocean, used a giant hydraulic press to crush them into small blocks, dumped the blocks into the sea, then chugged back to port to load up the next batch. When he heard about it, Stalin ordered that all surviving Shermans (Emkas) be disarmed and then used turretless as tractors.  . . .
Didn't realize the Russkies used any US tanks . . . learn something new every day.

After WWII, we had lots of warplanes that were surplus . . . I read about a bunch of brand-new, P-38 G's or H's that were available (sans guns or military IFF) for $1250; individual Americans bought a few, and Chiang Kai Shek and his crew wanted to buy the whole bunch; Harry Truman, worried that they might be used against Mao, had them chopped up and scrapped instead.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
"Didn't realize the Russkies used any US tanks . . . learn something new every day."

LOTS.

I used to have a bunch of radio equipment that came from Sherman tanks. All of the dials and switches were labeled in Russian.

The British also supplied a lot of tracked vehicles to the Soviets.

Here's a good page on the subject...

http://www.theeasternfront.co.uk/lendlease.htm
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
And yet people still whine about the US helping the Mujihadeen against the Soviets, Iraq against Iran, etc. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
We also gave the Soviets P-39 fighters (engine behind cockpit, shaft to prop in front, car door on side), which was to everyone's benefit. The AAF hated them, the Russkies loved them. They were good for ground attacks against tanks, but tended to fall out of the air if used at altitude due to an underpowered engine as a result of a last-minute change to the design.

There was even an AAF drinking song bit:

Don't give me a P-39
With an engine stuck up its behind
It will tumble and roll
And dig a big hole
Oh don't give me a P-39

But the Russian slang for it among their pilots apparently translated to "Can Opener", regarding its effectiveness against German armor.  grin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »
That's because with no motor up front there was plenty of room for a biiig freakin' cannon! Love the song though.  grin
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.