Author Topic: Paulians behave like a Palestinian mob, chase Hannity...  (Read 25331 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Paulians behave like a Palestinian mob, chase Hannity...
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19:38 AM »
I can't figure out how that guys has the 2nd most listened to radio show out there, I can't listen to him and I'm a conservative.  He seems to be the Right's version of that Mathews idiot.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2008, 03:24:52 AM »
I can't figure out how that guys has the 2nd most listened to radio show out there, I can't listen to him and I'm a conservative.  He seems to be the Right's version of that Mathews idiot.

Rush & Hannity are a package deal.....if a radio station wants Rush (& his ratings), they have to put up with Hannity, too.

I'm glad to see that more radio stations aren't playing their game and finding better offerings than these open-mouthed, fishy GOP-pies.....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 03:31:22 AM »
Psst .. I don't watch it. And a fake is still a fake, a monopolized syndicated propaganda network is just that.

-----------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2008, 03:34:55 AM »
Psst .. I don't watch it. And a fake is still a fake, a monopolized syndicated propaganda network is just that.

Arent they all? 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »
Rush & Hannity are a package deal.....if a radio station wants Rush (& his ratings), they have to put up with Hannity, too. 

Why do you say that?  In the Saint Louis market, Rush is on an AM station (with a CBS affiliation), while Hannity and O'Reilly are on an FM station with a FOX tie-in. 

I don't know why some people here talk of Rush and Hannity as if they were the same person.  Hannity is just a copycat, and not a very good one. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »

What, you mean MSNBC?

LAK

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2008, 02:27:07 AM »
Hannity on tv - or any channel. In fact I watch very little tv. The only entertainment worth watching is some TCM and AMC movies - usually the former with the bonus of no commercials.

Unfortunately, the choice of AM radio stations is severely limited. "Conservative" talk radio is no more conservative than it's TV show counterpart; the same subject matter, content, commentary, and added censorship of phone-ins.

I have listened to just about every one of these radio talkshow hosts long enough to see what they are made of. They all rant fire and brimstone over the usual pet topics of "democrats" vs "conservatives" - and steadfastly defend the same old foreign policy and geo-political agenda. This while avoiding other certain topics. Everything rolled along at a nice entertaining clip and seeded with all the obligatory lipservice to the target audience.

So MSNBC, NPR et all play the same game "democrat" flavor - with the same SOP.

Sure, they have a right to say what they want. The problem is they have a monopoly on mass media broadcasting; any serious challenger to the status quo, their "middle ground" and foreign policy geo-political agenda is excluded as far as possible - and then becomes a target of malice for them.

Paddy

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2008, 06:31:18 AM »
I have listened to just about every one of these radio talkshow hosts long enough to see what they are made of. They all rant fire and brimstone over the usual pet topics of "democrats" vs "conservatives" - and steadfastly defend the same old foreign policy and geo-political agenda. This while avoiding other certain topics. Everything rolled along at a nice entertaining clip and seeded with all the obligatory lipservice to the target audience.

Exactly right.  The mindless smokescreen of 'libs' v 'cons'. An all form and no substance shell game.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »
Where did a Ron Paul voter get the money to rent a Wookie custom?

RENT?!?  I think I'm offended.  Not that I'd spend my hard-earned money on a piece-of-junk costume like the one in that picture...

Disclaimer: I'm not the guy in the photo.  Don't have a Wookiee costume, in fact, so I *KNOW* it's not me.

But I *AM* strongly in support of Ron Paul.  I think he's the most Constitutionally-oriented candidate running (for which reason, of course, he'll never even win the primary let alone the general election angry).  And I *CURRENTLY* own (not a complete list):

- A full set of Stormtrooper armor.
- a (mostly) handmade Jedi outfit.  Yes, I have a lightsaber, too.  No, it won't cut you in half - but I could give you a concussion with it, and it'd still light up and make sound effects afterwards.
- two different Stargate SG-1 costumes (black offworld ground-combat outfit and F-302 pilot, including the helmet).
- and a full-up Darth Vader costume.  Lights, breathing effects, voice changer, lightsaber, everything.  Oh, and other stuff I made last year to turn that suit into the Robot Chicken Vader from the Star Wars Robot Chicken special last year, which I made for DragonCon in Atlanta.

Then we can get into what I have plans to make or buy (I have all the parts for a Tusken Raider, will be buying a Galactica Service-Blues uniform from a fellow costumer/seamstress, and I am working on an X-Wing Pilot and a Predator (from the Arnie movie)...).  Some people dump tens of thousands of dollars into cars that'll never leave their garages or in going to football games across the country with their chests painted green and purple.  Me, I have 5-figures (last estimate, $14,000 over the past 7 years) into a collection of costumes that I use to have boatloads of fun attending multiple annual conventions, and entertaining terminally-ill children at hospital visits, and raising money for various charities as a member of a costuming group recognized by multinational corporations like Lucasfilm Ltd, Walt Disney World, and the Guiness World's Records people as the best in the WORLD at what we do.   Last time I worked fast food was in high school - you can't build up a collection like this without having a decent job which pays at least reasonably well, as a matter of fact.  Prior to moving to be with the woman I'm currently living with and will be marrying in August, I was an operator at a nuclear power plant for nearly a decade, not exactly a job for random weirdos.   And I haven't lived with my mother for well over a decade (and only then, briefly, because I'd just gotten out of the Navy - where I also operated nuclear reactors for several years).  Shatter any ill-considered prejudices for you, perhaps?  Like, ALL of them (let's see, engaged and living with a woman, holding a good job, NOT residing in parents' basement - am I missing anything)?

I urge you, and everyone else inclined to throw stones at science fiction fans in general and Star Wars costumers in particular, to remember that this is supposed to be the "Armed POLITE Society"...

[/rant]

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2008, 05:26:58 AM »
I urge you, and everyone else inclined to throw stones at science fiction fans in general and Star Wars costumers in particular, to remember that this is supposed to be the "Armed POLITE Society"...

Racists I tell you! Racists! rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2008, 06:25:41 AM »
I stopped wearing costumes when I was 12. (so do most people, outside of Halloween party rentals, y'know?) rolleyes

Working on cars is working on stuff in the real world, getting all covered with grease while working with your hands, listening to good music, and then having something REAL to drive around with friends in. It's a machine that's real, that goes places. Not pretend.

If you want to make your own special effects and your own costumes to film a completely original movie, that's one thing. That's creativity. But the people who go nuts about copies of props and costumes that are just that, copies of something someone else thought up, instead of making something new and original, that's not creativity, that's just escapism and consumerism combined. If you want to be a spaceman, why not get pieces of MiG flightsuits and junk and fiberglass and make your own design, why copy what George Lucas did 30 years ago? Why color inside the lines that someone else drew? There's no creativity in that, it's still follow-established-rules groupthink, which is total irony for Paulians, isn't it?  cheesy

And in general, playing dress-up...to me, that suggests less of a grasp on the reality of things. Which is why I suspect so many people who do that like Paul. He has zero grasp on how the real world works, from his Jimmy Carter redux foreign policy to his clinging to 19th century gold standards in a world where global intercurrency transactions occur millions of times per second.

Reality. I live there. And I like it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2008, 06:29:09 AM »

And I urge you not to take things so seriously.  smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »

And I urge others not to care what others do in their spare time as it does not affect you.  If the man enjoys costumes and props, who are you to critisize.  Its the same when people critisize guns.  How many guns do you have?  Why?  Etc.

My Christian upbringing taught me that we should not judge others lest we be judged ourselves.  So I ask myself before I post, what would 'lil baby Jesus do?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »

And I urge others not to care what others do in their spare time as it does not affect you.  If the man enjoys costumes and props, who are you to critisize.  Its the same when people critisize guns.  How many guns do you have?  Why?  Etc.

My Christian upbringing taught me that we should not judge others lest we be judged ourselves.  So I ask myself before I post, what would 'lil baby Jesus do?

I only care when someone's grasp or reality or lack thereof spills over into their voting habits. Because that does affect me.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
You sure are flogging that "Christian upbringing" horse of a lot lately but, only when it suits your purposes.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

erictank

• friends
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2008, 12:35:14 PM »
I stopped wearing costumes when I was 12. (so do most people, outside of Halloween party rentals, y'know?) rolleyes

Working on cars is working on stuff in the real world, getting all covered with grease while working with your hands, listening to good music, and then having something REAL to drive around with friends in. It's a machine that's real, that goes places. Not pretend.

If you want to make your own special effects and your own costumes to film a completely original movie, that's one thing. That's creativity. But the people who go nuts about copies of props and costumes that are just that, copies of something someone else thought up, instead of making something new and original, that's not creativity, that's just escapism and consumerism combined. If you want to be a spaceman, why not get pieces of MiG flightsuits and junk and fiberglass and make your own design, why copy what George Lucas did 30 years ago? Why color inside the lines that someone else drew? There's no creativity in that, it's still follow-established-rules groupthink, which is total irony for Paulians, isn't it?  cheesy

And in general, playing dress-up...to me, that suggests less of a grasp on the reality of things. Which is why I suspect so many people who do that like Paul. He has zero grasp on how the real world works, from his Jimmy Carter redux foreign policy to his clinging to 19th century gold standards in a world where global intercurrency transactions occur millions of times per second.

Reality. I live there. And I like it.

As do I - I get to spend my money on things which have an impact on that same real world (re-read the bit about community service and brightening the days of terminally-ill children again, perhaps?), and have fun at the same time.  The rest of your dismissive rant about lack of creativity - well, if we were doing things the EXACT same way they did them for the films, I suspect we wouldn't be as highly regarded as we are.  Our costumes are *BETTER* than film-quality, in pretty much every way.  You might be surprised at the level of creativity involved - but then, you'd have to look at the issue honestly, without holding preconceived notions about asocial incompetent nerds living for decades in their parents' basement.  Wouldn't want to strain your mental horizons, there... rolleyes

You do cars?  Why slavishly rebuild cars to 1960's body, engine, and suspension specs?  Why not come up with a custom design of your own?  Why color inside someone else's lines, be ORIGINAL! grin (FYI - I've spent a couple of years working on a Mustang myself, I have no problem turning the occasional wrench, thanks).

And I HAVE been in a couple of fanfilms, in fact, both recognized in national competitions for such.  I'm even on IMDB, which is one of the silliest things I think I've ever heard of. 

If you honestly think that that sort of hobby is inherently worse than those others I mentioned in my previous post, then you're simply buying into the prejudices foisted on you by others.  I'll do my own thinking, thanks, and I KNOW that I'm making a difference in ways that matter to real people in the real world.   

erictank

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »

So it's okay to be rude, to insult others for what they do (which harms no one, demonstratedly HELPS many, and shows a level of technical competence in various fields beyond the grasp of many, apparently), simply because you're prejudiced against them?  Not even because of any real consideration about the topic - just because you've bought into the stereotypes?

I thought the whole idea was to be better than that, myself... undecided 

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2008, 01:56:18 PM »
At least you're not trying to justify making yer own Furry suit...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

So it's okay to be rude, to insult others for what they do (which harms no one, demonstratedly HELPS many, and shows a level of technical competence in various fields beyond the grasp of many, apparently), simply because you're prejudiced against them?  Not even because of any real consideration about the topic - just because you've bought into the stereotypes?

I thought the whole idea was to be better than that, myself... undecided 

Let's see. New member with five posts, telling people with thousands of posts how it is here. Gotcha.

Also...where did the whole multi-paragraph treatise explanation of your "fandom" lifestyle come into things in the first place? I don't think anyone asked. That was just kind of thrown up there by you. Who are you trying to rationalize it to? Are you seeking validation from strangers or something...?

One thing I recall from psych classes (applies to criminal law as well) is that people who launch into long defenses out of the blue when nobody asked or accused them of anything are usually just unconsciously seeking validation due to self-doubt or fighting a guilty conscience. Might wanna think on that.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »

I only care when someone's grasp or reality or lack thereof spills over into their voting habits. Because that does affect me.
  I could argue the same things about many people here who vote on their religious beliefs.  It does affect me.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
You sure are flogging that "Christian upbringing" horse of a lot lately but, only when it suits your purposes.

I am just doing what 'lil baby Jesus would want me to do.  Wink

Seriously, I am just asking that we dont disrespect others for having different activities than us.  Especially if they are harmless to us and everyone as a whole.  I doubt anyone else is being harmed by it. 

But either way I am just incapable of seeing what the big deal is about what this guy does.

We could judge Nascar fans, people who sew, bicyclists, runners, military reenactors, or many others.  As long as noone is getting hurt and it is legal we should not have any problems with it.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2008, 03:55:44 PM »
Let's see. New member with five posts, telling people with thousands of posts how it is here. Gotcha.

Yup.  Then again, I'm not the one acting EXACTLY LIKE the victim-disarmament advocates who persist in casting all gun owners as inbred, flannel-wearing, Bible-thumping, toothless, mentally-challenged redneck morons, am I?  God forbid someone hold a mirror up to your actions and suggest that you might not control the moral high ground quite so securely as you believe...

And since frakking when does post count have ANYTHING to do with right or wrong?  Your post count impresses me not at all, and appeals to authority on that basis strike me as pretty weak.  I prefer to judge, IF NECESSARY, based on words and actions.

Also...where did the whole multi-paragraph treatise explanation of your "fandom" lifestyle come into things in the first place? I don't think anyone asked. That was just kind of thrown up there by you. Who are you trying to rationalize it to? Are you seeking validation from strangers or something...?

Nope.  Simply defending someone else being (potentially) wrongly maligned by people who apparently can't be bothered to give a damn about being civil about others who aren't harming anyone on a board called the Armed Polite Society.  Sensed a little disconnect there with the terms of service I signed on with recently, and felt compelled to point it out.   Y'know - being POLITE.  Pointing out that the stereotypes being applied so cavalierly didn't apply to a minimum of ONE Paul supporter, and quite possibly to a large number of others.  It was in fact relevant, if you follow the thread back.  Not even a full page back, IIRC.

As far as the long-winded thing - no, that's really just the way I talk.

One thing I recall from psych classes (applies to criminal law as well) is that people who launch into long defenses out of the blue when nobody asked or accused them of anything are usually just unconsciously seeking validation due to self-doubt or fighting a guilty conscience. Might wanna think on that.

Done.  You're wrong in my case, but I've thought about it.  I'm just tired of people who think it's acceptable to make fun of people who act differently than they do, especially on a board allegedly dedicated to civil discourse.  I thought that sort of thing went out of vogue once we all left high school.  I reiterate - it was relevant given the baseless petty personal insults being cast, and pointing out that those engaging in behavior EXACTLY the same as those we are supposedly united in opposition to are neither complying with the spirit of conduct this board was supposed to be all about nor enhancing perception of their own credibility makes my posts useful and valid, IMO.  YMMV.

Your call.  I feel I've explained myself well enough, and do not ask for any further responses.  All I want is for you to THINK about what I said, as you asked ME to think about your comments.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

Even from someone with a lowly single-digit post count.  rolleyes

Paddy

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
heh.  grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »
"Let's see. New member with five posts, telling people with thousands of posts how it is here. Gotcha."

And what, exactly, does post count have to do with anything here? OR anywhere else?

Hell, I'm feeling magnanimous with my nearly 7,500 posts, so I'll even give you the answer...

Absolutely nothing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2008, 06:30:33 PM »

I am just doing what 'lil baby Jesus would want me to do.  Wink

Hey. are you trying to break my.....