Author Topic: Should Marijuana be legal?  (Read 54567 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
Should Marijuana be legal?
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:27:39 AM »
I was talking to a few kids on the local campus about politics and the subject of marijuana came up, the question was should it be legal?  I myself think it should be as it is, in my opinion, less harmful than alcohol.  I have used both, when I was younger, and I dont use marijuana anymore as I will be applying for government jobs after I finish college.  But I still use alcohol on occasion. 

So, my question is, should we legalize marijuana and regulate it?  Perhaps make it an 18+over thing?  Or 21+over?

Just wanted to get your thoughts.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Should Marijuana be legal?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »
This should be interesting.  rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:32:44 AM »
So, my question is, should we legalize marijuana and regulate it?  Perhaps make it an 18+over thing?  Or 21+over?

18+ for legal use, treated in the same fashion as we do ethanol with licenses sale from regulated businesses, ban on sale to minors and operating motor vehicles while impaired.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:38:06 AM »
I myself think it should be as it is, in my opinion, less harmful than alcohol.

I myself think it should be as it is, in my opinion, not one of the powers of the federal government to regulate what I put in my body. I don't really care if it is more or less harmful than anything else.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
I believe it should be treated the same as alcohol.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:49:49 AM »
Just in time for The Rabbi's comeback.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:57:03 AM »
Yes, marijuana should be legal and regulated for quality control.  California voted for legalizing medical marijuana back a few years ago, but fed gov overrode it.  So much for 'the will of the people'.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »
My personal thought is that we should legalize ALL drugs, not just MJ.

Legalize it, regulate it for safety/purity/effectiveness, forbid sale to minors(<18), etc...

Tax it(reasonably) to make the .gov happy at all the new funds.

If we legalized Marijuana, Cocaine, Opium, and LSD* I'm firmly of the belief that we'd see Meth usage drop like a rock.

*To get all the major drug groups

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:29 AM »
I see absolutely NO REASON why it shouldn't be legalized.  The only argument I ever hear is that people will all become lazy.  The (mis)truth to that statement aside,  I cannot think of a single way that pot infringes on the rights of others.  Harder drugs, yeah, I can see how they screw over other people besides the user, but pot?  Come to think of it, alcohol causes far more problems.  When was the last time you walked by a bum who was asking you for some change, and he smelled like pot?  I don't think I've ever seen that, and yet every day I see bums asking for change who can barely stand up they are so drunk. 

YES I think pot should be at least decriminalized.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 08:05:55 AM »
I concur - The penalties for possession are FAR greater than any damage that will be done by the substance. Pot won't ruin your life. Getting caught with pot will.

Legalize it all, and sell it in liquor stores (they're already used to the age thing). When I was in high school, it was easier to get pot than it was to get beer.

Take black market money out of it, and most "drug crimes" will go away. You'll -still- (notice the operative word here - it's already going on, and will -continue-) have people performing stupid human tricks, but at least we will eliminate the "let's shoot up Joe's house, because he's moving in on our territory" bit. I've NEVER heard of a modern regulated bar or liquor store owner starting a gang war.

Blog under construction

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 08:14:15 AM »
I concur - The penalties for possession are FAR greater than any damage that will be done by the substance. Pot won't ruin your life. Getting caught with pot will.

Legalize it all, and sell it in liquor stores (they're already used to the age thing). When I was in high school, it was easier to get pot than it was to get beer.

Take black market money out of it, and most "drug crimes" will go away. You'll -still- (notice the operative word here - it's already going on, and will -continue-) have people performing stupid human tricks, but at least we will eliminate the "let's shoot up Joe's house, because he's moving in on our territory" bit. I've NEVER heard of a modern regulated bar or liquor store owner starting a gang war.

I agree.  Gangs mostly seem to fight over territory...and most of what they want that territory for is selling drugs.  Not saying they'll stop fighting, but they'll at least have one less reason to fight for.  No one will want drugs from gangsters if they can get clean and safe drugs from the gobmint, even if it's a few dollars more.  And if so many other drugs are available, and Meth is still illegal, then it'd be too much risk and maybe people would decide to go for the lesser, legal drugs.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 08:39:43 AM »
I agree.  Gangs mostly seem to fight over territory...and most of what they want that territory for is selling drugs.

I'd also legalize prostitution.  By legalizing these two 'classes', you'd reduce the amount of money most gangs could get from a 'territory' to below minimum wage for the number of gang members they'd need to secure it.

If your criminal enterprise can't produce enough to keep you in bling, it's generally not going to be enough money to justify the risks of jail, prison, and death.  So I see that drying up substantially.

Not saying they'll stop fighting, but they'll at least have one less reason to fight for.

Maybe they'll go back to fist fights rather than gunfights?  That'd be a bonus.

No one will want drugs from gangsters if they can get clean and safe drugs from the gobmint, even if it's a few dollars more.

Not the government!  They'd be commercial, like Bayer heroin.  I love picking on Bayer because they hold the patent(expired) for heroin.

And if so many other drugs are available, and Meth is still illegal, then it'd be too much risk and maybe people would decide to go for the lesser, legal drugs.

I'd legalize Meth as well.

It's just that it's dangerous enough I don't see commercial companies getting into producing it, and there are better alternatives.

Plus, with our experience with prohibition, people tended to switch to harder drugs(liquers) over softer forms like wine & beer because liquers were more compact and easier to ship for the dosage level.  Legalize the stuff and I see people sticking with cocaine over crack, much less something dangerous like Meth.  Those that can't will kill themselves one way or another relatively quickly(and hopefully alone, by stroke rather than car crash).

As an ancillerary, jails/prisons will be free of recreational drugs.  None.  Want to keep your hits coming?  Don't get arrested.  Being High wouldn't be an excuse for any crime.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 08:41:45 AM »
I don't care about the legalities of pot, I won't be using it.  That said, I see the harm from the crusade against it as far greater than the damage from it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 08:43:19 AM »
Only if those who choose to use it are ineligible for welfare or any federal assistance.

I don't want my tax dollars going to support those who choose to burn out their own brains and then expect they can lie around on the public dole.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »
Manedwolf, you realize that Reefer Madness is fiction, right?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:37 AM »
I think it should be a capital offense and those dealing in it should be sent to Saudi Arabia for trial and punishment.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »
Manedwolf, you realize that Reefer Madness is fiction, right?

Yes, the dilated-pupils potheads at my university whose rooms smelled like incense and who invariably dropped out after a semester, and who talked...really...slow... They were fiction.

Right.

Like it or not, there are a lot of people who do pot, lie around doing pot, and...end up not doing anything else much. Short-term memory loss and cognitive impairment tends to be a career-killer.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »
Only if those who choose to use it are ineligible for welfare or any federal assistance.
I don't want my tax dollars going to support those who choose to burn out their own brains and then expect they can lie around on the public dole.

Because drunks on the public dole are better, right?

I think it should be a capital offense and those dealing in it should be sent to Saudi Arabia for trial and punishment.

Only if we give the same treatment to those or use booze and tobacco.  Those who sell booze and tobacco without a govt tax stamp should be shot.

I don't smoke or do drugs.  I seldom drink.  If all three disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't miss them.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »
Yes, the dilated-pupils potheads at my university whose rooms smelled like incense and who invariably dropped out after a semester, and who talked...really...slow... They were fiction.
Right.
Like it or not, there are a lot of people who do pot, lie around doing pot, and...end up not doing anything else much. Short-term memory loss and cognitive impairment tends to be a career-killer.

Then there are the folks that don't.

Or...

There are the folks that drink themselves into oblivion, drop out, and don't go anywhere.

Or...

The folks at the office (every office it seems) who take a 15min smoke break every hour.  How's that helping productivity?

Stereotypes are fun, yay!

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »
Booze and tobacco are legal.  Marijuana is illegal.  What part of "illegal" do you not understand?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 08:57:11 AM »
Booze and tobacco are legal.  Marijuana is illegal.  What part of "illegal" do you not understand?

What's your point?  Booze was illegal once before.  Marijuana has been legal in the past.  Tobacco may well end up becoming illegal in the future.

What part of "arbitrary" do you not understand?

Drug laws are racist, many were enacted to keep the black man from rapin' white wimmen.

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »
It doesn't matter whether they were illegal or not.  Right now they are not illegal.  MJ is illegal.
People committing illegal acts need to be prosecuted.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »
That's not the point of the discussion though.  The question was "Should marijuana be legal?", not "Should we prosecute under the current laws?".

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
OK.
No, it shouldnt be legal.  Violators ought to be executed and dealers sent to Saudi Arabia for appropriate punishment.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 09:26:13 AM »
Ok, one vote for "no".  I'll take Maned's vote as a tacit yet if welfare benefits are witheld for users.  I can get behind that as long as the same standards are applied to all drug users.

Chris