Author Topic: US drafting plan to allow government access to any email or Web search  (Read 12617 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
http://rawstory.com//printstory.php?story=8868
01/14/2008 @ 9:02 am
Filed by RAW STORY

National Intelligence Director Mike McConnell is drawing up plans for cyberspace spying that would make the current debate on warrantless wiretaps look like a "walk in the park," according to an interview published in the New Yorker's print edition today.

Debate on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act will be a walk in the park compared to this, McConnell said. this is going to be a goat rope on the Hill. My prediction is that were going to screw around with this until something horrendous happens.

The article, which profiles the 65-year-old former admiral appointed by President George W. Bush in January 2007 to oversee all of America's intelligence agencies, was not published on the New Yorker's Web site.

McConnell is developing a Cyber-Security Policy, still in the draft stage, which will closely police Internet activity.

"Ed Giorgio, who is working with McConnell on the plan, said that would mean giving the government the autority to examine the content of any e-mail, file transfer or Web search," author Lawrence Wright pens.

Google has records that could help in a cyber-investigation, he said," Wright adds. "Giorgio warned me, 'We have a saying in this business: Privacy and security are a zero-sum game.'"

A zero-sum game is one in which gains by one side come at the expense of the other. In other words -- McConnell's aide believes greater security can only come at privacy's expense.

McConnell has been an advocate for computer-network defense, which has previously not been the province of any intelligence agency.

According to a 2007 conversation in the Oval Office, McConnell told President Bush, If the 9/11 perpetrators had focused on a single US bank through cyber-attack and it had been successful, it would have an order of magnitude greater impact on the US economy.

Bush turned to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, asking him if it was true; Paulson said that it was. Bush then asked to McConnell to come up with a network security strategy.

"One proposal of McConnells Cyber-Security Policy, which is still in the draft stage, is to reduce the access points between government computers and the Internet from two thousand to fifty," Wright notes. "He claimed that cyber-theft account for as much as a hundred billion dollars in annual losses to the American economy. 'The real problem is the perpetrator who doesnt care about stealinghe just wants to destroy.'"

The infrastructure to tap into Americans' email and web search history may already be in place.

In November, a former technician at AT&T alleged that the telecom forwarded virtually all of its Internet traffic into a "secret room" to facilitate government spying.

Whistleblower Mark Klein said that a copy of all Internet traffic passing over AT&T lines was copied into a locked room at the company's San Francisco office -- to which only employees with National Security Agency clearance had access -- via a cable splitting device.

"My job was to connect circuits into the splitter device which was hard-wired to the secret room," Klein. said "And effectively, the splitter copied the entire data stream of those Internet cables into the secret room -- and we're talking about phone conversations, email web browsing, everything that goes across the Internet."

"As a technician, I had the engineering wiring documents, which told me how the splitter was wired to the secret room," Klein continued. "And so I know that whatever went across those cables was copied and the entire data stream was copied."

According to Klein, that information included Internet activity about Americans.

"We're talking about domestic traffic as well as international traffic," Klein said. Previous Bush administration claims that only international communications were being intercepted aren't accurate, he added.

"I know the physical equipment, and I know that statement is not true," he added. "It involves millions of communications, a lot of it domestic communications that they're copying wholesale."

Paddy

Re: US drafting plan to allow government access to any email or Web search
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:50:59 AM »
Something like this is floated every other day. I think there are two purposes here.  One, to test the waters for resistance to this illegal, unconstitutional behavior. Who knows? Maybe if they keep pushing, something will get through unnoticed?   Two, desensitize us to big government intrusion and loss of privacy.

The sooner we get rid of this criminal cabal currently in power, the better.  angry

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
The sooner we get rid of this criminal cabal currently in power, the better.  angry

The same thing happened under Clinton, but was largely ignored by everyone who wasn't a twinkie munching IT geek.

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
I thought Echelon already vacuumed emails.  Maybe they need a new and improved vacuum.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:56:17 AM »

It didn't start with Bush 2. Government entities have been spying on electronic communications of all types as long as those types of communications have been around. No doubt it started with the telegraph.

But, don't let facts get in the way of your irrational hatred of Bush 2.

Ironically, it is quite easy to beat the NSA at their own game by using PGP to encrypt your electronic file transfers and email. You have to wonder why the BGs don't do so. Or maybe they do and the tidbits that come out now and then claiming that intercepted email was the source of some piece of intelligence is a red herring.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:59:45 AM »
And the apologists spring out the closet to defend government intrusion, which is ok when done by a Republican.   laugh

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 07:03:14 AM »
And the apologists spring out the closet to defend government intrusion, which is ok when done by a Republican.   laugh

I don't recall anyone actually doing that. Pointing out that such intrusion is not unique to the current administration is not the same thing as saying such intrusion is OK.

FDR encouraged the FBI to monitor phones w/o warrants, and even had secret tribunals that sentenced unlawful combatants to death. Not much new here.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 07:04:05 AM »
And the apologists spring out the closet to defend government intrusion, which is ok when done by a Republican.   laugh

Who said it was ok? 

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »
Check your source. If Raw Story was any more left, it'd only appear on the left side of the screen. It's worse than Daily Kos. They've even published spoofs as real, and fabrications as news. They keep Snopes pretty busy.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:07:54 AM »
Check your source. If Raw Story was any more left, it'd only appear on the left side of the screen. It's worse than Daily Kos. They've even published spoofs as real, and fabrications as news. They keep Snopes pretty busy.

Doesn't make the story inaccurate though.
bob

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »
Apologists playbook. 

Rule #1-When anything critical of the Bush administration is published, point out the Clinton did the same.

Rule #2-Failing #1 (because nobody gives a crap what Clinton did, he's been out of office nearly 8 years), allege the source is a left wing enemy of the state.

So predictable.  And weak.  Maybe that's why he only has a 30% approval rating.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 07:14:32 AM »

Doesn't make the story inaccurate though.

And the supermarket tabloid said that Saddam was planning to clone Hitler from a DNA sample using technology found on a crashed UFO. Why believe that's inaccurate, either?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 07:18:30 AM »
Apologists playbook. 
Rule #1-When anything critical of the Bush administration is published, point out the Clinton did the same.
Rule #2-Failing #1 (because nobody gives a crap what Clinton did, he's been out of office nearly 8 years), allege the source is a left wing enemy of the state.
So predictable.  And weak.  Maybe that's why he only has a 30% approval rating.

Who's apologizing for anything Bush did?  This particular battle has been going on longer than you've been aware.  It's not a Bush or Clinton thing, it's a govt thing. Try and understand that please.

Chris

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 07:19:07 AM »
And the supermarket tabloid said that Saddam was planning to clone Hitler from a DNA sample using technology found on a crashed UFO. Why believe that's inaccurate, either?

How is that less believable than when Bush flew onto the deck of an aircraft carrier and declared 'Mission Accomplished'?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 07:21:22 AM »

How is that less believable than when Bush flew onto the deck of an aircraft carrier and declared 'Mission Accomplished'?

WE KNOW YOU HATE BUSH. OKAY?

Seriously. Enough with the foaming HATE BUSH AAARG rage as a reaction to everything. It's getting downright silly.

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 07:26:09 AM »
WE KNOW YOU HATE BUSH RON PAUL. OKAY?

Seriously. Enough with the foaming HATE BUSH RON PAUL AAARG rage as a reaction to everything. It's getting downright silly.

Works both ways, Manedwolf.  Like I said, get the log outta your own eye first, OK?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
Riley, can you post links to a political thread where you posted and didn't mention Bush? 

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to a cure.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
RileyMc:

Sorry, but you have become a bit of a self-parody WRT GWB.

What folks are trying to tell you is that this problem(1) is older and more deeply rooted than GWB's tenure as POTUS.  He is not the cause(2) and getting rid of him won't fix the problem.

(1)  The gov't intrusion into the web, not your unique form of GWB-fixated tourett's

(2)  I would also say he is not the cure and hasn't been particularly good on some of these issues. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
What stinks is anytime you try and write an letter to the editor about government intrusion you get branded some conspiracy wacko. I personally think government should stay out of people's lives unless a complaint is issued that a person may be a threat to society. If Joe Brown tries to buy several tons of ammonium nitrate and isn't a farmer I think that should reported to the feds. If someone is googling machines guns or how to make a cherry bomb I think that should be nothing to worry about.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
Riley,

You're bored and deliberately trolling aren't you?

There hasn't been a whit of direct or indirect defense of Bush, just a pointing out that the guilt concerning unwarranted intrusions into our privacy neither starts nor will stop with his administration.

Not only has different flavors of the exact same concept been floated by every administration's security honchos since there was an internet, it always will be.  So the whole "get the current criminal cabal out of office" is a red herring.

No matter who is elected, Democrat or Republican, aside from maybe Ron Paul, it will be a case of "meet the new criminal cabal, same as the old criminal cabal".

And you know it.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 10:12:52 AM »
You're bored and deliberately trolling aren't you?

Yes and that's why he hasn't been back since it was pointed out multiple times that this particular issue is administration agnostic.

Chris

Paddy

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 10:17:29 AM »
I've been voting Republican since 1968 (*with the exception of '92 which I really regret), so I've paid my dues and have earned the right to be critical of my own choices.

*Voted for Pee-rot in '92.  The reason I really regret that is, that if Bush Sr. had won another term, Clinton (or anybody but Bush Jr.) wouldn't have been elected until 96 and probably re-elected in 2000.  He would have been in office on 9/11 (which might have been entirely avoided).  Or at least he wouldn't have us involved in the current inescapable mess Bush has made.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
Riley, you're just nuts man.  You're aware that the intelligence folks who failed with respect to 9/11 were Clinton appointees, right?

Paddy

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 10:26:09 AM »
Disagreement with the collective hivemind isn't trolling.  It's dissent.

And yes, Dave, I understand that it's all Clinton's fault, or the appointees, or somebody.  Anybody, as long as it isn't Bush.

I get it.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »
If you'd ever actually read anything at all that I've posted, you'd know that I am not a fan or defender of Bush.  Just pointing out that it still would've happened if Clinton was in office.  That's all.  Stop assuming this is about Bush.  It's not.  Frankly, I'd appreciate if you stop ruining threads with Bush bullshit.  This could've been an interesting discussion about privacy rights.