Author Topic: Toronto politicians demand Ottawa ban all handguns  (Read 3276 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Toronto politicians demand Ottawa ban all handguns
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:04:47 AM »
Because, of course, the criminals would obey such a ban. Are these people really THAT stupid? Or are they just afraid of an armed citizenry?

Toronto politicians demand Ottawa ban all handguns

ANTHONY CAPUANO AND ANTHONY REINHART

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

January 15, 2008 at 5:50 AM EST

Toronto politicians are calling for their federal counterparts to totally ban handguns three days after a shooting outside a downtown strip club left an innocent bystander dead.

"It's inappropriate for citizens of this country to own a handgun, there's no need for it," said Councillor Michael Walker, who put forward the motion to council.

"It's the only way to stem the tide of violence in our cities. ... Mr. O'Keefe was a victim of that violence," said Mr. Walker (Ward 22, St. Paul's).

John O'Keefe, 42, was shot early Saturday morning near Yonge and Bloor Streets. Police believe he was hit by a shot aimed at a bouncer who ejected two men from the Brass Rail Tavern. Edward Paredes, 23, and Awet Zekarias, 22, were charged with first-degree murder and appeared for a bail hearing at Old City Hall yesterday. The semiautomatic handgun allegedly used was legally owned by Mr. Paredes, according to Toronto homicide detectives.

At City Hall yesterday, Mayor David Miller voiced his support for a handgun ban. "It is time to say once and for all we don't accept the ownership of handguns in our society," Mr. Miller told reporters.

The motion is set to be voted on by council Jan. 30.

Not all are convinced such a ban would be effective. Councillor Michael Thompson said he supports increased penalties, but is skeptical of a handgun ban: "It is a great thing to say, but ... the practical ability to enforce it is impossible."

According to the Chief Firearms Officer, there are 150,000 legal handguns in Ontario.

Acquiring a legal handgun in Canada has been a complicated process for many years, which is why Tony Bernardo, executive director of the 15,000-member Canadian Shooting Sports Association, called the killing a "tragic anomaly" in that a legally obtained handgun was used.

A handgun ban would remove legal weapons from circulation, but they are rarely used in crime, he said, citing statistics from the federal Justice Department.

"In 2006, 2 per cent of the firearms homicides in Canada were done with a legal firearm," and not necessarily by the gun's legal owner, Mr. Bernardo said. "The year prior to that, it was 4 per cent. We're talking about something that statistically is so small, it isn't significant to even count it."

With a report from Jennifer Lewington

The rules of ownership

Prospective handgun owners must:

Obtain an application for a possession and acquisition licence under the Firearms Act.

Pass the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course.

Send the application, including two references, a photo and disclosure of conjugal partners and mental-health history, to the Canadian Firearms Centre in Miramichi, N.B.

Undergo checks on spousal history, references and police background. Depending on what the checks reveal, the application can be rejected and forwarded to the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) for further investigation.

Await arrival of the licence by mail.

Join an approved handgun club, complete another handgun safety course and serve a probation period.

Apply, through the gun club, for an Authorization to Transport (ATT). If approved, the handgun can be bought and taken home. A further ATT is required to take the gun to an approved range, according to a prescribed route, with no stops allowed along the way.

Anthony Reinhart

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080115.wshot15/BNStory/National/

Also...disclosure of conjugal partners?!

nico

• friend
Re: Toronto politicians demand Ottawa ban all handguns
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:31:53 AM »
So, the gun was legally owned.  But there's no way the gun was legally possessed on a city street.  It's not like everything he did up until he shot someone was OK under the law.  Is that detail insignificant, or just inconvenient?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:34:46 AM »
Wow. First degree murder.

In Canada, that gets you what... 5 years in jail, with 4.5 years off for good behavior?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »
BTW, for anyone who might be in Canada who is trying to help fight this, look up an article in the Manchester Union-Leader about a similar situation, but quite different outcome in front of the Uptown Tavern in Manchester, NH.

Just like this, guy was ejected, guy came back and started shooting at the bouncer.

The difference, not possible in Canada? The perp didn't kill anyone because a CCW holder ran out of the bar, drew his weapon and shot the perp twice, saving the life of the bouncer and other bystanders.

nico

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:56 AM »
Wow. First degree murder.

In Canada, that gets you what... 5 years in jail, with 4.5 years off for good behavior?

eh, our legal system is pretty screwed up too.  A woman here just got 6 months for putting a 9 year old in a bathtub full of boiling water.  Apparently, that's no worse than writing bad checks and doing steroids (Marion Jones).

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:48:51 AM »
Stupid Politicans.

They need to ban strip clubs, then no one would get bounced out them and then come back and shoot someone.

Am I right Huh?   rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

nico

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »
Stupid Politicans.

They need to ban strip clubs, then no one would get bounced out them and then come back and shoot someone.

Not to mention the drug dealing and prostitution that goes on at a lot of them.  There's 3 social ills solved, and who's gonna lobby against it, the strippers' union?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »
Stupid Politicans.

Not to mention the drug dealing and prostitution that goes on at a lot of them.  There's 3 social ills solved, and who's gonna lobby against it, the strippers' union?

They'd have to ban the Russian Mafia. Good luck with that.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »
Hey, those unions are pretty strong in Canada.  I wouldn't discount them.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »
You mess with the Canadian Ballet, you mess with me! grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
Only problem is that $20 Canadian isn't such a great deal anymore.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge