Author Topic: Montana tells Fed where to shove it.  (Read 3473 times)

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Montana tells Fed where to shove it.
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
Montana Governor Foments Real ID Rebellion

By Ryan Singel January 18, 2008

Montana governor Brian Schweitzer (D) declared independence Friday from federal identification rules and called on governors of 17 other states to join him in forcing a showdown with the federal government which says it will not accept the driver's licenses of rebel states' citizens starting May 11.

If that showdown comes to pass, a resident of a non-complying state could not use a driver's license to enter a federal courthouse or a Social Security Administration building nor could he board a plane without undergoing a pat-down search, possibly creating massive backlogs at the nation's airports and almost certainly leading to a flurry of federal lawsuits.

States have until May 11 to request extensions to the Real ID rules that were released last Friday. They require states to make all current identification holders under the age of 50 to apply again with certified birth and marriage certificates. The rules also standardize license formats, require states to interlink their DMV databases and require DMV employee to undergo background checks.

Extensions push back the 2008 deadline for compliance as far as out 2014 if states apply and promise to start work on making the necessary changes, which will cost cash-strapped states billions with only a pittance in federal funding to offset the costs.

Last year Montana passed a law saying it would not comply, citing privacy, states' rights and fiscal issues.

In his letter (.pdf) to other governors, Schweitzer makes clear he's not going to ask for an extension.

"Today, I am asking you to join with me in resisting the DHS coercion to comply with the provisions of REAL ID, " Schweitzer wrote. "If we stand together either DHS will blink or Congress will have to act to avoid havoc at our nation's airports and federal courthouses."

But Homeland Security spokeswoman Laura Keehner says DHS has no intention of blinking.

"That will mean real consequences for their citizens starting in may if their leadership chooses not to comply," Keehner said.  "That includes getting on an airplane or entering a federal building, so they will need to get passports."

Keehner says DHS's policy won't change even if Georgia -- one of the 17 states that has signaled strong opposition to the rules -- declines to apply for an extension.

If that scenario came to pass, every Georgian who flies out through the nation's busiest airport -- Atlanta-Hartsfield International -- would have to be patted down by Homeland Security agents and have his carry-on bag hand-screened, likely resulting in massive delays.

Keehner also suggests that patted-down citizens will turn their wrath not on the feds but on their state government.

For his part, Schweitzer wants Congress to step up and pass alternative legislation that would stop Real ID and re-instate a commission that was working on driver's license rules before the REAL ID Act was slipped into must-pass defense legislation in 2005. That legislation assigned DHS the task of setting the rules single-handedly.

Keehner is adamant that the rules will make the country safer and that the price tag is not too high.

"The ability to get false identification must end, and Real ID is that step," Keehner said.

Privacy groups counter that the rules create a de-facto national identification card and won't stop terrorism or identity theft.

For his part, Schweitzer struck back at DHS statements he obviously considers arrogant.

"I take great offense at this notion we should all simply 'grow up'," Schweitzer wrote, referring to Thursday remarks from DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff about border rules regarding Canada. Schweitzer says those remarks "reflect DHS (sic) continued disrespect for the serious and legitimate concerns of our citizens."

A DHS policy maker suggested earlier this week that Real IDs could also be required to buy cold medicine and to prove employment eligibility.

Schweitzer's letter went out to the governors of Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Arizona, Hawaii, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Washington.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/montana-governo.html
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

stevelyn

• friend
Re: Montana tells Fed where to shove it.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:30:35 AM »
One of our legislators here in Alaska has pre-filed a bill also telling the fedpukes to pound sand.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »
 cool

Even though Schweitzer is a democrat, he is more "conservative" than CA or NY republicans.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:47:42 AM »
New Hampshire already did this last year as well.
But Homeland Security spokeswoman Laura Keehner says DHS has no intention of blinking.

"That will mean real consequences for their citizens starting in may if their leadership chooses not to comply," Keehner said.

Oh, there will be "consequences", alright. When I hear from this sort of idiot, I always think they'd have been right at home with a snappy grey uniform and armband.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »
I wish I lived in a state like that.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

crawdaddyjim

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Welllll, little miss too big for my britches might just want to reconsider her statement. I don't fly now and looks like Montana might be a nice place to stay. Don't think I have ever been into a "Federal building" , tho I have payed for a few of them in taxes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »
Welcome to the rebellion.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »
Keehner also suggests that patted-down citizens will turn their wrath not on the feds but on their state government.

Seemes to me that the feds need to grow up too.

And most people patted down, won't take their anger out on the states or DHS.  It'll be on the TSA agents.

Furthermore, I wonder if the feds are setting themselves up for another passprt backlog.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »
. . . a resident of a non-complying state could not use a driver's license to enter a federal courthouse . . .
If that's the case, then they're going to start running a bit short of eligible jurors in those states.  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »
they're going to start running a bit short of eligible jurors in those states

That's what I've been thinking  laugh

Only time I've ever been in a fed courthouse was for jury duty.  Though I think I got myself banned permanently that time - something about refusing to agree to follow the judge's instructions. rolleyes

The other thing is my license doesn't expire until 2012 anyway.

If I get a smaller car soon as planned, I will just start driving for business trips.  The cost to the company will be about the same as air fare and car rental, and I can actually make a little money on the mileage reimbursement.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
Makes me wish greatly that VA was not going along with this DHS "REAL ID" bovine byproduct (just saw a letter from the VA AG confirming that VA, MD, and DC are committed to complying by the initial deadline).  A "certified birth certificate"?  I'm not sure I have an UNcertified one, and how do I prove to the people I'd get that certificate from that I am who I say I am?  Oh, right - I'll have to send them copies of my CURRENT identification and proof of current residence...

Yup, that REAL ID thing is going to be REAL secure...  rolleyes  More like, one-stop-shopping for identity thieves.

@#$%ing bureaucrats. 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »
If enough state governors would get a backbone and do what is right, the fed gov could be put back into it's rightful place - out of a good number of matters out of it's jurisdiction and mandate.

Interesting that it is a "democrat" governor behind this one. If we elected the right pres he could do most of what needs doing in all these matters with phone calls and pen strokes from his office.

------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org