Author Topic: Running mates...  (Read 4314 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Running mates...
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:05:34 AM »
Just wondering how much a candidates running mate matters to y'all.  Would Romney or Giuliani be easier to stomach if he teamed up with a solid VP?  I was just wondering, because it would be cool if one of these guys would give ol' Fred the nod and get his influence back into the race. would it matter though?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Running mates...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:20:11 AM »
No, the RINOs teaming up with a decent VP would not influnce me to vote for one of them.

VPs don't do much of anything, anyway.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »
I don't know what went wrong with that groundswell for Thompson, but it does seem like you'd get some more of that by picking him for VP.  More importantly, the remaining candidates (other than RP) need some more conservative in their package. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 04:59:50 AM »
Here we are, the nation that produced leaders like Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt, and our choice will probably end up being one of the Hillary/Obama/Romney/Huckabee/Giuliani group.  sad

At least we won't be faced with a Kucinich/Paul race.   shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:18 AM »
Here we are, the nation that produced leaders like Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt, and our choice will probably end up being one of the Hillary/Obama/Romney/Huckabee/Giuliani group.  sad

So what they hell did happen?

Side note I really don't consider Lincoln a good president.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:42:38 AM »
Side note I really don't consider Lincoln a good president.

Me neither.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:59:33 AM »
Because of his beard?  Or that whole slave thing?

On a serious note, I've heard talk of the whole Lincoln being pro-slavery/a bastard thing, but I've never been pointed toward any serious literature that handles the subject.  I'd be interested to learn more than the "Lincoln freed the slaves and wore a stove pipe hat and that's that" that I was taught in High School.

And if Freddy ended up the VP to one of the crazies like Romney or Guliani, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rifle shot on live TV one day.

*Note to government: I do not nor will I ever condone the assassination of a U.S. President.  Please don't disappear me.*

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:38:55 AM »
I don't know what went wrong with that groundswell for Thompson, but it does seem like you'd get some more of that by picking him for VP.  More importantly, the remaining candidates (other than RP) need some more conservative in their package. 
  The only swelling for Thompson was his belly when he went to some of the chili cookoffs.  LOL

I dont think anyone will pick him.  If they do, they will lose a lot of American votes.   

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:06:20 AM »

On a serious note, I've heard talk of the whole Lincoln being pro-slavery/a bastard thing, but I've never been pointed toward any serious literature that handles the subject.  I'd be interested to learn more than the "Lincoln freed the slaves and wore a stove pipe hat and that's that" that I was taught in High School.

As a president he took more powers than what is written in the US Constitution, he was more of a dictator than a president. State's rights were ignored, hence the Civil War, hence the Feds holding things over states heads like federal highway dollars if the don't conform. This is just a little bit why Lincoln was a bad president.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:19:24 AM »
Interesting.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:23:18 AM »
Interesting.

Hopefully Mike Irwin will chime in, he seems to have a lot of knowledge of history.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:09:17 AM »
State's rights were an issue LONG before Lincoln came to office.

Andrew Jackson, a southerner, told South Carolina in no uncertain terms that if they attempted to suceed in the 1820s he would personally lead the army and pull them back into the Union.

By the time that Lincoln came into office, almost all, if not all, of the states rights issues that had been raised in the 1820s through 1840s, including the issues of tariffs, had been resolved. By the time of the Civil War, states rights was a throwback issue that was dusted off to give more creedence to secession.

Lincoln also made it very clear that he wanted to work with the Southern states to ensure preservation of the Union. Before he was even inaugurated, though, states started seceeding, so Lincoln certainly can't be blamed for that.

Many of the issues that the southern states were screaming about were issues that they had fully accepted in the numerous compromises that had been enacted through the first half of the 1800s.

It's also very hard to call Lincoln a dictator, or akin to a dictator, when the actions that he took largely had the blessing of the Congress.

Yes, Lincoln greatly expanded the power of the Federal government, but why, exactly, was that? Because the Southern states seceeded. No secession, more Congressional compromise between Northern and Southern states, no greatly increased power of the Federal government.

I've read a lot of history that bitches, whines, and moans about how that nasty, big bully the industrialized North was pushing the South around. Whose fault, ultimately, is that? The North's? Nope, the Southern planter aristocracy's. They were the people with the money in the South, and they intentionally rejected large-scale industrialization in the South of the kind that would have given the region far greater influence, wealth, and power.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »
Why do we have to re-fight the civil war every time Lincoln's name is mentioned?  Huh?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »
The only swelling for Thompson was his belly when he went to some of the chili cookoffs.  LOL

The fact that you don't like him doesn't mean he wasn't a very popular candidate at one time.  (That is, before he was actually running.)

I dont think anyone will pick him.  If they do, they will lose a lot of American votes.   

Why would Thompson lose votes for his running mate?

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »

The fact that you don't like him doesn't mean he wasn't a very popular candidate at one time.  (That is, before he was actually running.)

Why would Thompson lose votes for his running mate?
  I should clarify.

If anyone chooses Fred as their running mate they will lose a lot of American votes in my opinion.  This is because Fred is to polarized on the issues and represents the same old that many people are fighting against. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 04:10:51 PM »
I don't think you understand Republicans very well.  Or Fred Thompson, for that matter.