Author Topic: Texas Representative Democracy Fails (video news report)  (Read 1768 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Texas Representative Democracy Fails (video news report)
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6X-xtVask

Anyone else when watching this think, 'golly, if that guy is yours, it rocks'?

Unconfirmed, but according to one youtube message they only make 600 dollars a month, 7.2k a year....
I think that puts them well below the poverty line.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

wooderson

• friend
Re: Texas Representative Democracy Fails (video news report)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:54:30 PM »
Our legislators work for 140 days every other year (barring special sessions) and get paid $14,400 for a term, along with a per diem for when they're actually in session. Not high-stakes, but it's not exactly a full-time job (corruption, however, might be a 40-hour a week gig for Texas politicians).

"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
I stayed up late on the last night of the last session to watch the online feed as the Speaker (Tom Craddick) used some rather, uh, liberal interpretations of procedure to stall a party coup. It would be an exaggeration to say the man stuck his fingers in his ears and started yelling "I CAN'T HEAR YOU." But it would not be a great exaggeration.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:04:57 AM »
Well, at least we only let them get in session every other year.  It could be worse.  They could be in session all year every year. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge