Author Topic: Bobby Jindal; the next Reagan?  (Read 11946 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Bobby Jindal; the next Reagan?
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »
Rush Limbaugh has just named Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal as the next Ronald Reagan. 

What say you? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

Re: Bobby Jindal; the next Reagan?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
Why?  Does he want to give huge tax breaks to the wealthy while raising payroll taxes on the middle class and then steal and squander the money?

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:45:33 AM »
Why should only low income people get to pay taxes at a lower rate? 

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »
I say that Rush is a bloviating gasbag.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »
Rush Limbaugh has just named Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal as the next Ronald Reagan. 

What say you? 
I say it is a bit early to be naming the next Reagan. There are not many leaders to come along like Reagan. We have seen only a few in the last 100 years.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
I say that Rush is a bloviating gasbag.

I would say that meaningless personal attacks don't add to the thread, but then I wouldn't get any responses at all.   smiley

Why?  Does he want to give huge tax breaks to the wealthy while raising payroll taxes on the middle class and then steal and squander the money?

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what he meant when said that. 

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
I would say that meaningless personal attacks don't add to the thread, but then I wouldn't get any responses at all.

fistful - If Mr. Limbaugh is a contributor to this thread, then I guess that would be considered a personal attack. Since that's highly unlikely, it's just my opinion of him. Back in 1990 and 1991, I used to listen to him frequently while driving through Illinois. I probably listened off and on until about 1996, so it's fair to say that I'm not speaking from ignorance.

Let's just say that his schtick got old. Very old. Furthermore, it's not even much of an attack:

bloviate \BLOH-vee-ayt\, intransitive verb:
To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner.

gas?bag      /ˈg?sˌb?g/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gas-bag] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
noun
1.   a bag for holding gas, as in a balloon or dirigible.
2.   Slang. a talkative, boastful person; windbag.

I may be guilty of a little redundancy, but to call Mr. Limbaugh talkative and boastful is quite accurate.

Politically, I'm an unabashed conservative. However, I am sick to death of all the overly shrill "pundits" of whatever ilk. So, when you ask "What say you?" about some comment made by Rush, my first thought is along the lines of my original comment.

As far as your actual intent, I'm not familiar enough with Governor Jindal to have an opinion, but I'm happy to do a little research.

30 cal slob

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »
Regardless of whatever Rush says, 

Bobby Jindal ROCKS.   grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
Oh boy.  His absence on this board has no bearing on whether your remark was a personal attack.    Neither does the accuracy of the comment.  You were talking about Rush, personally, rather than the thread topic.  I wouldn't mind, I just wish there was some substance to your post.  Even Riley out-did you there. 

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »
  I wouldn't mind, I just wish there was some substance to your post.  Even Riley out-did you there.  

Ooooh, burn!

Not to unhijack the thread or anything, but I appreciate Limbaugh looking out for future leaders, but other than that, he's amusing background noise.  W/r/t Jindal, I had to look him up, and I found his "31 Point Ethics Plan" for Louisiana, which includes points like "Require all legislators and statewide elected officals to disclose their sources of income, assets, and liabilities" in order to "address potential conflicts of interest".  And "Demand consistent, independant enforcement of State ethics laws".  It goes on quite a bit, but most of it sounds pretty good.  He might be worth watching, except that he's pretty scary lookin'.   Personal attack!  KILL IT!
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:58 AM »
As long as he isn't the next McCain, I'll give him a chance....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
You were talking about Rush, personally, rather than the thread topic.

Hold the presses!! Someone posted a comment in the Internet that wasn't directly related to a thread topic.

The horror!!!!

Look, Jindal may actually be the Second Coming of Ronald Reagan. Your initial post was pretty brief, as in:

What say you?

That could mean "What do you think about Bobby Jindal?" or " What do you think about Rush Limbaugh calling him the next Reagan?". You probably meant the former. I took the latter, and shortened my response too far.

Perhaps a more complete answer would be:

Governor Jindal is someone I've not heard much about. I'll have to check into it before I render an opinion. However, I am extremely leary of people proclaiming that someone is the next someone else. For me, Rush Limbaugh is not someone I care to take cues from.

BTW, if "personal attacks" on public figures were disallowed, you could probably back up the entire Internet on a 3.5" floppy.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »
As far as your actual intent, I'm not familiar enough with Governor Jindal to have an opinion, but I'm happy to do a little research.

Was that so hard?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »
Was that so hard?

No. Not at all. Perhaps I should have added a bunch of smilies and things.

Looking into Jindal's background, he sounds like he's on the right-wing of the Republican party (compared to many we see right now). He's also an unabashed dreamer if he honestly thinks he can get meaningful ethics reform going in Louisiana. I wish him the best of luck, but that's going to be a tough one.

fistful - What exact comparisons did Limbaugh make between Jindal and Reagan? Were they specifically to Reagan, or just the idealized version of Reagan's policies and positions?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
Well, he will have to have some success in Louisiana if he actually comes close to being the next Reagan. 

Other than taxes, regulation, and foreign policy, I am not sure what else Reagan really stood for in reality.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
I think there may come a time (perhaps it's ...now) when a true conservative will not be electable on the national level.  People want their leaders to be somewhat like themselves, or at least how they see themselves to be.  The majority in this country seems to be headed in the opposite direction of Jindal.
 But who knows; maybe when the American people get tired of a very liberal African-American President Obama, they'll crave a conservative Indian American President Jindal.  Who woulda thunk it....considering that Catholicism was once perceived to be a huge issue for JFK.         

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 04:08:09 AM »
A lot of politicians make wild claims of being like Reagan. The truth is the vast majority of them have no clue to what Reagan was all about and aren't good enough to be a pimple on Reagan's arse let alone fill his shoes.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »
He was elected by a large margin in a predominantly blue state. I work in Louisiana quite a bit and the folks there that I know really hope he turns Louisiana around - a huge task.

Of course, I do not spend much time around where Katrina did the most damage so what do I know?

Anygunanywhere

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
The best option we can have would be someone who actually believes what they are saying.  Someone whose record reflects their beliefs and statements.

Do we know of any politicians who actually don't give lip service to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?  What about that Ron Paul guy?  How are his stances on the issues?  Is he for big government like the rest of the GOP candidates?  What about corporate donations?  Does he take those?  What about his record on gun rights?  How about the right to privacy? 

Anyone got any information on him?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Tec, that is very far off-topic.  Please erase your comments, so we can talk about Jindal.

Thank you.   smiley

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 01:35:11 PM »
My apologies.  However I still think Ron Paul is the closest thing we will have to a small government politician.  It seems that every other politician seems to support expanding government power and authority. 

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
My apologies.  However I still think Ron Paul is the closest thing we will have to a small government politician.  It seems that every other politician seems to support expanding government power and authority. 

Hello?  What does Ron Paul (and I agree with the "small" part of your statement--his positions are very small indeed) have to do with Bobby Jindal or Ronald Reagan?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 02:48:12 PM »
Nothing at all.  This thread isn't about who you like best.  It's about the comparison between Reagan and Jindal.  If you don't want to talk about that, then go and start a thread about your favorite politician. 

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
fistful - Since you brought up the topic, what were the comparisons Rush made? Or was it more of an off-hand comment?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 05:12:56 PM »

Limbaugh Letter:  Interview with Bobby Jindal

It was an off-hand comment, that came up in a discussion of who might be McCain's running mate.

Quote from: Rush Limbaugh
I'll tell you.... I'm going to give you a name that would make me jump for joy.  It's not going to happen because he's not been...

Bobby Jindal.  I did an interview with Bobby Jindal. He is the next Ronald Reagan, if he doesn't change. Bobby Jindal, the new governor of Louisiana is the next Ronald Reagan.  He's young. He was just sworn in for his first term. He's the guy that beat the liberal Democrat machine throughout Louisiana. He did it on 100% conservatism.  We interviewed him for The Limbaugh Letter about three issues ago. In fact, I am hereby ordering the editrix of The Limbaugh Letter, Diana Schneider to make -- since it's a past issue -- the interview with Bobby Jindal in The Limbaugh Letter available at RushLimbaugh.com this afternoon.  You can send it up to Koko as a PDF file or text or whatever you want.  This guy could be the next Ronald Reagan.  If McCain chose him, here's a Southern state; this is Louisiana, but I think he may be too conservative for McCain.  That depends on who they think McCain will need or want, but Jindal is very young, and he's only in his first year as governor and doesn't really have... He came from the House of Representatives.  Also being talked about is Haley Barbour...