Author Topic: Well, I got my ferrets  (Read 5856 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« on: July 25, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »
The wife is gone now,  and my daughter is visiting her grandparents for a month and one of my dogs run off (probably got killed by a pack of coyotes), so me and the other dog had the house to ourselves...she wasn't an indoor dog, but she's just been laying around and not eating so I took pity on her and let her come in...anyway I got two ferrets, a light colored one and a dark one, and it's pretty funny to see them chasing Nickie (the labrador) around the house wanting to play. One of the cutest things about them is the funny positions they sleep in, sometimes they lie together with their arms around each other like lovers.

My daughter named the white one "snowball" and I named the dark one "shadow", but I think I'm going to change her name to "Frances" after the badger in a storybook I used to read my daughter at bedtime. Kind of a funny resemblance.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

HForrest

Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 12:27:21 AM »
I want a ferret now... Oh, wait, CA banned them.

Stand_watie

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:36:38 AM »
Quote from: Combat-wombat
I heard Diane Feinstein claims they are the "Saturday night special" of the mink family Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 02:30:06 AM »
Combat-Wombat:

What's really twisted is that--just for a second--I was thinking, "Damn, what won't they ban out there on the left coast?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Stickjockey

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 04:23:13 AM »
jfruser-

Zucchini. They won't ban zucchini. Or applesauce.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Justin

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 07:43:01 AM »
Tofu, bean sprouts, and sitting in circles, snapping approval for each other.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

onions!

Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »
Tube rats are kool!

Very nice.Maybe someday,after my dogs & snakes are gone,I'll try 'em myself.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 12:52:44 PM »
I had a ferret try to mug me once.  Lil bugger sniffs my pocket.  I thought it was kinda cute.  Then he reaches in head in, grabs ahold of a wad of cash, and tries to make a run for it!

Later, I swear he tried to make a grab for my ATM card!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 01:58:18 PM »
oooh  Stand- They are very cute!!!
Have they jumped in the shower with you yet?
My feline critters are waiting to get in while I'm getting out, but they don't jump in when the shower is on.  
I heard they play well with cats too, it's a shame we can't have them here.  Although, I have heard that most vets will still care for them.

USP45usp

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 04:54:36 PM »
Why did california ban them?  Just curious.

I have to get my house heated and a/c'd before I can get mine.  I hear they don't do well in heat and cold (well, it gets to the 80's in the house in the summer and around the 40's in the winter.  Yes, it's a POS but at least it's a roof over my head... well, for the time being... it may come crashing in one day Sad ).

I "ferretsitted" once for a week and had nothing but fun with those little guy/gal.  For some odd reason they seem to like toes though (ouch!).

Rev:

I had a ferret try to mug me once.  Lil bugger sniffs my pocket.  I thought it was kinda cute.  Then he reaches in head in, grabs ahold of a wad of cash, and tries to make a run for it!

They are natural thieves.  The friend that I ferretsitted for "lost" his keys for over a month (luckily he had spares).  Then he started to "lose" other things.  He found their hiddy place and found that he had "lost" things that he didn't even know about Cheesy.

Wayne

Stand_watie

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »
Quote from: USP45usp

They are natural thieves.  The friend that I ferretsitted for "lost" his keys for over a month (luckily he had spares).  Then he started to "lose" other things.  He found their hiddy place and found that he had "lost" things that he didn't even know about Cheesy.

Wayne
Ferret - [Middle English furet, ferret, from Old French furet, from Vulgar Latin *fūrittus, diminutive of Latin fūr, thief.]

And now, as Paul Harvey would say, you know 'the rest of the story' Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Standing Wolf

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 06:49:33 PM »
What an arrogant excuse for a state!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Phyphor

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 08:20:45 PM »
No kidding..... It's legal to have pit bulls (whom may or may not be dangerous, depending on how they are raised, ) but a tube rat is contraband?Huh?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Stand_watie

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 08:44:42 PM »
oooh  Stand- They are very cute!!!
Have they jumped in the shower with you yet?
I'm keeping them in the cage most of the time for now brrlgrrl, as they aren't properly litter trained yet. I did put them in the tub last night, and turned on the shower attachment with the drain open so they had the option of being wet or dry to see what they'd do. The first thing they both did was attempt to crawl down the drain, after that they got a drink off of the floor of the tub, and then started playing with my daughter's bath toys. They both got totally wet, but it was more or less incidental, they didn't act like they particularly wanted to get into the shower stream, but didn't act like it bothered them in the least either. For now I'd say they are ambivilent about water.

Those of you thinking of a ferret, they are messy. I've got to figure out some new feeding system, as the first thing they do when I feed them is dive into the bowl and flail the food everywhere, trying to tunnel about in it like a mole in the yard. The same with their litterbox.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Zundfolge

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 12:44:54 PM »
Quote from: jfruser
"Damn, what won't they ban out there on the left coast?"
Buggering.

RealGun

• friend
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 05:24:07 AM »
Among the five ferrets over the years, I liked some a lot better than others. I learned not to nuzzle with one unless I knew how it felt about biting. One bugger pearced my ear lobe. My favorite killed the bird, despite pretty careful supervision. He was really fun, but that was the end of doing ferrets.

The messiness can be dealt with by using a wire bottomed cage with a pan underneath. You can also use a container that allows them to "steal" their food without getting a head stuck. A vent hole might still be a good idea.

grislyatoms

• friends
Well, I got my ferrets
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 07:00:46 AM »
I love to watch ferrets play, especially when they run! They have that sort of sideways, loping run that always makes me laugh.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot