Author Topic: Your thoughts on McCain  (Read 41602 times)

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Re: Your thoughts on McCain
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »
Why does everyone here despise McCain-Feingold so much?
Restricts the 1st amendment.

HA! Petty serf. The government can do what they want. It's for your own protection. If you are allowed to speak your mind at will without restriction truths might be exposed. We can't have that or the terrorist might win.

Why does that make him special vs. all the others? Being shot down and being a POW makes you an infallable politician who can speak no wrong? Honestly, WTF?

He's not a democrat. When a democrat serves, it's all fake and staged for political gain. When McCain does it, he is the second coming of republican greatness here to save us from Hillary/Obama -- even though they are not all that different.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

wacki

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »

How?  What part of this prevents you from saying what you want to say?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipartisan_Campaign_Reform_Act

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »
I believe he is nothing but a hypocrite.  I am sorry but he opposes freedom and loves corporate sponsorship.  He sold his country out a long time ago.

I'd love some of that "proof"  you're so fond of demanding, along with links cited.

He drank the global warming koolaid

It is undeniable that he is on the side of the scientific community:

Global warming is a farce for another thread

and is 100% wrong on the border, just to name a couple big issues He's on the wrong side of...

I'd love to know more.

He championed the most recent amnest bill (McCain Liberman, I think it was).  If thats not enough, google up Hispanic Outreach Director Juan Hernandez.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 03:15:50 PM »

In that article, it's right here...

"The proliferation of issue ads, by defining as "electioneering communications" broadcast ads that name a federal candidate within 30 days of a primary or caucus or 60 days of a general election, and prohibiting any such ad paid for by a corporation (including non-profit issue organizations such as Right to Life or the Environmental Defense Fund) or paid for by an unincorporated entity using any corporate or union funds."

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

SomeKid

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »
My thoughts are pretty simple.

I wish he was still in Vietnam. Dead, or POW, it is just as good to me.

I find this kind of hate curious.  Please explain why.

Had he died in Vietnam he would be a name on a wall. Because he survived, he turned into a name on the Senate rolls that damages this country/infringes on my liberty. See why I consider it preferable that he die than have a role in leading this country?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »
Say what you want about him, I'd still rather see him in office than either Hillary or Obama.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »
Say what you want about him, I'd still rather see him in office than either Hillary or Obama.

Yes. It's just that nothing will change. That's preferable to everything being destroyed.

Another boring day is always preferable to a bulldozer coming through your wall.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 04:14:41 PM »

This.  I don't like the guy either, but Obama and Hillary scare the crap out of me.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 05:05:39 PM »
It's foolish to think that McCain is going to do less damage to this nation. He is just going to damage it in a different way.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 05:36:40 PM »
It's foolish to think that McCain is going to do less damage to this nation. He is just going to damage it in a different way.

Is he going to clean out your gunsafe like Hillbama would? Doubtful.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »
At the end of the day, any JBT's that try and clean my gunsafe will be just as dead, and I along with them, no matter who is CNC.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »
At the end of the day, and JBT's that try and clean my gunsafe will be just as dead, and I along with them, no matter who is CNC.
  Can you elaborate please.  Who are the JBT's that you are talking to?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
consider your post ignored.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »
At the end of the day, any JBT's that try and clean my gunsafe will be just as dead, and I along with them, no matter who is CNC.

Prime example of "cold, dead fingers" mentality: sets everyone back decades.

Plus, the self-aggrandizing idea that -- if JBTs came for your stuff -- you could do a damned thing about it is laughable.

There's lots of ways to fight such a long-shot eventuality, but idle boasting is not impactful.  I recommend voting.  Smiley
Zeke

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »

Well, the NRA, as a corporation, isn't free to do what they want during the blackout period.  I'm a member of the NRA (or at least I think I am, I need to check my status) and part of the reason I pay my dues is so that they can promote proper candidates.

They're now limited in that function.  This is why they spawned the "NRA News" branch of the organization.  IIRC they get some journalist protection with that, shielding themselves from McCain-Feingold.

It also places limits on how much I'm allowed to donate.  I don't like that.  I'm not in any danger of hitting that $2300 limit right now, but I might be some day.  Further, with the precedent set, what's to say that the limit won't be $100 later on?

Finally, when it was passed there was a pretty big hub-bub in the blog community on what actually constitutes a campaign donation.  As I understand it the law is written rather vague and it is only because the FEC doesn't want to mess with the blog community that they're not trying to interfere there at all.  If the FEC ever affixed a dollar value to blog postings, mass emails, or even board postings we'd see a serious infringement on our 1st amendment rights.  Yes, it's far fetched, but the FEC is under control of the Executive branch.  Placing a fellow that's all for restricting political speech, based on cost, at the helm seems like a really bad idea to me.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »
consider your post ignored.
  This is in itself a response to my posting.  Wink

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 08:57:02 PM »

Prime example of "cold, dead fingers" mentality: sets everyone back decades.

Plus, the self-aggrandizing idea that -- if JBTs came for your stuff -- you could do a damned thing about it is laughable.

There's lots of ways to fight such a long-shot eventuality, but idle boasting is not impactful.  I recommend voting.  Smiley
  I definately agree.  Makind offhanded threats at LEOs and the government is definately in violation of the rules, or I would imagine.  It is true that these kinds of sayings are just chest thumping that make gun owners look bad and eager to  commit violence.  It only hurts our cause. 

And I definitely agree that it is laughable.  I have my doubts whether a group of civilian gun owners could fight a highly trained SWAT team or other paramilitary group.  Hell, just go to a gun show and see the numerous gun owners walking around who could fight off a chihuahua due to their weight.  I for one will take your advice and continue voting for pro-freedom candidates such as Ron Paul.  I think he is the best hope we have against John McCain.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 08:59:13 PM »

Well, if that were the only freedom I worried about then your point would be valid, but I also like my privacy and right to an attorney.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »
Quote from: Wacki's Wiki article
In June of 2007 the U.S. Supreme Court held, in Federal Election Commission v. Wisconsin Right to Life, Inc., that BCRA's limitations on corporate and labor union funding of broadcast ads mentioning a candidate within 30 days of a primary or caucus or 60 days of a general election are unconstitutional as applied to ads susceptible of a reasonable interpetation other than as an appeal to vote for or against a specific candidate. Some election law experts believe the new exception will render BCRA's "electioneering communication" provisions meaningless, while others believe the new exception is quite narrow. The Federal Election Commission's interpretation and application of the new exception during the 2008 election cycle will determine the true scope and impact of the Court's decision.

In other McCain news, the Gang of Fourteen
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

Well, if that were the only freedom I worried about then your point would be valid, but I also like my privacy and right to an attorney.
Don't forget you would like the freedom to talk about it in public, even if it is close to an election.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
In other McCain news, the Gang of Fourteen

We also got the Keating Five...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 04:52:46 AM »

2A is the one that lets you have a last "break glass in case of tyranny" option if all the other rights are taken away. If everyone is disarmed, and THEN the other rights are taken...what are you gonna do about it? The hypothetical fascists' forces have guns, and you don't. Game over.

The fact that many Americans are armed is something that has always, and will always dissuade would-be dictators from even trying, thus ensuring peace and the continuance of a republic, flawed or not.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:13 AM »
This.  I don't like the guy either, but Obama and Hillary scare the crap out of me.

We survived 8 years of pure Clinton evil before. No reason we can't do it again. Could be the spark that forces people to vote some of the low lives out of congress again. Hopefully, those that replace them will be better.

Obama is something else though. he can use the race card for 100 years and no one an ever call him on it. It gives him a huge advantage. that makes him a potentially more serious danger to our liberties.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 06:06:59 AM »

Yes. It's just that nothing will change. That's preferable to everything being destroyed.

Another boring day is always preferable to a bulldozer coming through your wall.

Well said. 

If McCain is the nominee (I'm conceding nothing!), then that's who we're left with.  Sad, because there were several superior choices at the beginning of the race.  But, my new rallying cry will become, "McCain !  Better than Hillbama !"

As I understand it, McCain voted against the AWB, and I read recently where he was committed to nominating very conservative Supreme Court Justices.  Those two items are very important to me, and I believe Hillbama would fail both tests.

Further, while McCain sponsored the despised McCain-Feingold act, I'm guessing (I haven't looked it up, I don't know where to look it up) that Clinton and Obama voted for it also, so that issue is nearly a wash.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 06:13:06 AM »
"We survived 8 years of pure Clinton evil before. No reason we can't do it again."

Hillary is far worse than Bill ever was.

Grasping and power hungry barely scratch the surface.

Remember her comment about theirs being a co-presidency?

A movie quote comes to mind...

There is only one Lord of Mordor, and he does not share power. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.