Author Topic: Green cards to go out, background check or not.  (Read 8554 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Green cards to go out, background check or not.
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:36:58 AM »
Gee. I feel lots safer now. Tongue

To ease an application backlog, the federal government plans to issue green cards to about 47,000 immigrants before the FBI finishes a complete background check  a move that critics warned could compromise national security.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5533508.html

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Green cards to go out, background check or not.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:12:34 AM »
What national security?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

The Viking

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:23:03 AM »
Think I could get one? Smiley. I promise to behave, pay my taxes, respect the laws of the land, and all the things that one should expect from someone you've graciously let into your country Smiley

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:32:33 AM »
The .gov knows the honor system works.  I mean, it's not like anyone wants to take advantage of the system or anything, right?  They all just want those jobs we won't do.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
Think I could get one? Smiley. I promise to behave, pay my taxes, respect the laws of the land, and all the things that one should expect from someone you've graciously let into your country Smiley

Move here and I'll introduce you personally to the "Gunshow Loophole"

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
WTH?Huh???

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »
WTH?Huh???

Show me where legal immigrants can't buy weapons.  Kim du Toit has a fine collection of firearms.

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 06:09:34 PM »
No, no the 'WTH' was about giving 47,000 illegals green cards.  I don't get it.............

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »
Because Shamnesty didn't go through, Riley.

So, it's easier to give out green cards instead of getting legislation passed to loosen control over the border even more. It's easy to tack on provisions for relaxed green card restrictions to a bill that doesn't even get read by the congress critters before they vote on it. *expletive deleted*it like this happens all the time- usually for pork projects.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 05:24:37 AM »
How exactly do you do a background check on somebody from another country, who may not even be using his "real" name? I bet even if they wanted to, FBI cannot do much about it, not with such lack of meaningful info and not when under pressure to work with such numbers.

But never fear, no matter who wins, McStain or Hillbama, there will be a giant amnesty. Then when you capture the gangbangers, you would not even be able to repatriate them. So, be ready to pay for more prisons.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 06:13:02 AM »
Well, I'm sure if we elect McCain that he'll fix this problem immediately.....

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

angry
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 06:27:22 AM »
We just got a green card for my wife a few months ago. I don't think they do background checks now. They ask for a lot of information on the forms, but I don't think they really follow up on any of it. And yes, legal immigrants are allowed to have firearms. My wife has her concealed carry permit.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 06:37:51 AM »
We just got a green card for my wife a few months ago. I don't think they do background checks now. They ask for a lot of information on the forms, but I don't think they really follow up on any of it.

Well, there you go.  What's the point of doing a background check if they already asked all the relevant questions?  It all makes sense now.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:43:31 AM »
All this and my friend's stepson has to return to England because he turned 18 while the govt diddled with his application.

No matter that his mom and sister are now legal residents of the US and he has a steady job here.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 06:53:36 AM »
so how would you folkd propose to do a background check on a person from overseas? answering this will be no where near as much fun as gnashing your teeth

and try to keep your fantasy answers within the scope of reallity  ie having to do thousands of checks

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 06:55:21 AM »
Start by reversing the idiocy that makes it far harder for someone from a first-world nation to emigrate than it is for someone from a third-world nation.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 07:00:59 AM »
so how would you folkd propose to do a background check on a person from overseas? answering this will be no where near as much fun as gnashing your teeth

and try to keep your fantasy answers within the scope of reallity  ie having to do thousands of checks
A lot of countries have systems that are similar to our our NCIC system. I would be they would allow the FBI to use them.

EU, Canada, Australia, japan etc.

I suspect it would be near impossible to do a serious background check on someone from mexico, africa or russia.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 07:11:52 AM »
We just got a green card for my wife a few months ago. I don't think they do background checks now. They ask for a lot of information on the forms, but I don't think they really follow up on any of it.

Well, there you go.  What's the point of doing a background check if they already asked all the relevant questions?  It all makes sense now.

I can't tell what you mean from this. My point is not whether they should do a background check or not. I believe they should. My point is that I don't think they're really doing it now, so this "new" policy doesn't seem to be much of a change.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 08:06:41 AM »
Start by reversing the idiocy that makes it far harder for someone from a first-world nation to emigrate than it is for someone from a third-world nation.

I thought all men are created equal here?  Why do you discriminate against people because of their place of origin? 

Who cares about this.  Just open the borders, as that is what freedom is all about?  Make the country less desirable for these people to come here and they won't. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 08:07:03 AM »
i think you folks down play the complexity of using someone elses data base like that  i doubt many here could sort through the use of surnames as practiced in other places. or the frequent use of the same common names. to make sense outa it would almost require the use of their own nationals. in 100's of countries some of which have unionized corruption and graft

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »
Who cares about this.  Just open the borders, as that is what freedom is all about? 

If you don't have borders, you don't have a country.

Make the country less desirable for these people to come here and they won't.

By dealing harshly with people who employ them, yes, less will come to try to work illegally. But they'll still come...to take. Have you heard about the Mexican kidnappers crossing the border, grabbing people, taking them back across and demanding ransom?

Eventually, when you get a bit more into the real world, you'll realize how things are. It's why a lot of college students are liberals, then they grow up and become conservatives.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »

I thought all men are created equal here?  Why do you discriminate against people because of their place of origin? 

Who cares about this.  Just open the borders, as that is what freedom is all about?  Make the country less desirable for these people to come here and they won't. 

rolleyes
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »
I mean if we didn't hire them to do our labor or give them free health care.

For example, using them in construction comes to mind.  What if customers demanded that no illegal immigrant labor was used?  I doubt they would come here because they would not have jobs.  For example, if someone is building a McMansion style house, they could ask the contractor to make sure all of his/her employees have green-cards and are legal.  If they could not prove it, then they were not hired. 

Instead of trying to save a buck, couldn't we hire Americans born here? 

What if we asked that hospitals can turn away the uninsured?  What if we demanded that they have insurance or refer them to a charity? 

How about a work program?  What about bringing back work visas and the bracero program?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:14 AM »
What if we asked that hospitals can turn away the uninsured?  What if we demanded that they have insurance or refer them to a charity?

Good luck with that! The liberals would scream.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
Who cares about this.  Just open the borders, as that is what freedom is all about? 

If you don't have borders, you don't have a country.

Make the country less desirable for these people to come here and they won't.

By dealing harshly with people who employ them, yes, less will come to try to work illegally. But they'll still come...to take. Have you heard about the Mexican kidnappers crossing the border, grabbing people, taking them back across and demanding ransom?

Eventually, when you get a bit more into the real world, you'll realize how things are. It's why a lot of college students are liberals, then they grow up and become conservatives.

So I am not grown up?  Why is that?  There is no need for personal attacks.

I do believe that bad people can immigrate from anywhere.  Mexico is an example, but that does not rule out friendly nations.  Nations like Saudi Arabia (some of whose immigrants came here and hijacked planes), Russia (the Russian mob for example), Israel (lots of ties to Russian gangsters and crime lords), Italy (the old Mafia), China (lots of criminals immigrate here and pirate products), etc.

Using your logic, we should not allow any immigrants as they could be criminals. 

These kidnappers, did they cross legally?  What about the legal immigrants from Mexico?  Why make it harder for them because some of their countrymen are criminals?