Author Topic: Is it the Same as Yelling Fire in a Crowded Theatre?  (Read 5109 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Is it the Same as Yelling Fire in a Crowded Theatre?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2005, 04:38:46 AM »
Only if you can establish two things:

1) that their followers are weak-willed to the point where they cannot properly form their own decisions.

and

2) that the cleric KNEW this, and exploited it.
Isn't that the the definition of a madrassa in essence? Children aren't necessarily weak willed; they are however pliant since they have no other frame of reference when presented with new information by a trusted mentor.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 11:15:46 AM »
So - muslim clerics that preach hate and tell their followers that killing non muslims is OK are responsible then?
Depends on the circumstances.  If they are just saying generalized things, it's legal.  Example, "Death to America!"  If they are making specific threats, it's not legal.  "Death to Bob Smith of 1234 Main St!  Let's go burn him at the stake right now!"

I have to disagree. I cannot imagine that the founding fathers intended that freedom of speech would protect those who use their leadership positions to manipulate others into killing for them for that is indeed what some muslim clerics do.

Can anyone say wahabbist madrassa? Are there any madrassas in the USA?
Snort.   Why am I suddenly reminded of an anti saying "I cannot imagine that the founding fathers intended the second amendment would protect automatic weapons."

The Founding Fathers DID use their leadership positions to manipulate others to kill for them.  It was called the Revolutionary War.   The First Amendment is rather clear.  Hate speech is annoying and tasteless, but it's legal.   That is why you are not in prison, Werewolf.   Because you did not violate the law, but rather just made use of the first amendment.   Folks that advocate hate speech (even "Kill 'em all" type) are covered.  Advocating murder against a specific person or persons is illegal.  

Capice?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2005, 01:54:28 PM »
Quote from: Leatherneck
Mercedes Quote:
"There are already training camps all across the US that train young, malleable men to "blow up stuff". Tim McVeigh attended one."

I didn't know McVeigh was a Marine!

TC
cheesy  Nah, just a soldier. Wink