Author Topic: Report: Dems discussing five-year amnesty plan for illegal aliens  (Read 2204 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Report: Dems discussing five-year amnesty plan for illegal aliens
Chad Groening -
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Security/Default.aspx?id=67357

A spokesperson for the grassroots immigration organization Numbers USA says House Democrats are having behind-the-scenes discussions about creating a special visa for illegal immigrants -- a proposal they believe will enjoy considerable Republican support.

As part of its stated mission to support what it calls "comprehensive immigration reform," the Congressional Hispanic Caucus desires "a tough, fair, and workable path to legalization for the undocumented." The website for the group argues that "the only practical and humane solution is to set up a program that gives individuals a chance to come out of the shadows, register with the government, submit to security screenings, pay restitution, learn English and U.S. civics, and maintain a clean work and criminal record."

Rosemary Jenks is director of government relations for Numbers USA. She has learned that members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus are spearheading the effort to approve a plan that would allow any illegal alien living in the United States to simply prove they have a job, pay a fine, and pass a background check, to receive the gift of legal status for five years.

The five-year visa plan would be attached to a bill that would increase the number of temporary workers in the hopes of getting Republican support, she says. Jenks contends this is an attempt to stall the deportation of illegal immigrants until they can get full amnesty.

"Rahm Emanuel [a Democratic congressman from Illinois] has said publicly that he doesn't believe that they will be able to get the full-scale amnesty passed until the second term of the next president," she states. "That, of course, puts it right about five years from now. So the hope of the Caucus is that they can this so-called temporary visa -- a five-year visa for illegal aliens -- passed, and then when they're able to they can get the full-scale amnesty."

Jenks supposes that Democrats are afraid that should either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama be elected president this year, passage of an amnesty plan during a first term would likely preclude the Democratic president from being re-elected for a second term.

Waitone

• friend
Re: Report: Dems discussing five-year amnesty plan for illegal aliens
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:36:07 PM »
That dog just won't stop suckin' eggs, will it?

Both sides must pander to the hispanic vote but they'd be well advised to shut up about it until after the election.  I just don't see the Joe and Martha Sixpack's of the US supporting anything that can be construed as amnesty in any form.  McCain signing on to any such idea will cause him intense pain.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
This thread should be interesting to watch...

grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:47:43 AM »
That dog just won't stop suckin' eggs, will it?

Both sides must pander to the hispanic vote but they'd be well advised to shut up about it until after the election.  I just don't see the Joe and Martha Sixpack's of the US supporting anything that can be construed as amnesty in any form.  McCain signing on to any such idea will cause him intense pain.

No, the Dems are pandering to the Hispanic vote.  The Repubs are pandering to big business.  They are both selling us out to illegal aliens.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »
Mexico's President MUST have some incriminating 8x10 glossies of a LOT of our politicians, the way this <expletive, expletive, string of expletives> keeps resurfacing.

"Listen up gringo - you do what I say or New York Times get pictures of you and burro . . . comprende?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

beatnik

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that this amnesty plan does not, in fact, shut down the existing avenues which legal immigrants already follow.

I'm going to further assume that the legal path will remain in place with funding, and the illegal amnesty path will get a whole new acronym, separate funding, and separate personnel.

Lastly, I'm going to assume that the amnesty path will be much easier than the legal path, and that we'll end up with what amounts to two legal paths to citizenship, only one won't be used at all.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »
One more issue on which the gov is paralyzed - amnestyeers refuse to enforce and enforcers refuse to amnesty because each side does not trust the other to keep its end of the bargain. Last time I checked, fedgov cost-of-gov was about 300 billion an year. Money well spent?  rolleyes