Author Topic: Job hunt: Checking out companies  (Read 1267 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Job hunt: Checking out companies
« on: July 28, 2005, 05:24:25 AM »
Hi, all,

If you're in a job hunt, and interested in a company, how could you check 'em out before you send in your resume?  I'm interested in finding out about whether a place treats its work-units -er- human resources decently and whether it's financially stable.

Thanks,
- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Waitone

• friend
Job hunt: Checking out companies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:28:36 PM »
www.hoovers.com is a good source for general stuff.  Financial info can be found in SEC filings if it is a publically traded company.  If not, you most likely will not get access to the financial information.

Google the company.  Google up press releases as it will give you an idea of their soft and fuzzy image in the marketplace.

Find people who work for the company and those who left the company and talk.

Suppliers can provide insight.  Find some salesmen who handle the company as an account.  It is my experience that if they deal honorably with a salesman, they tend to do likewise with employees.

Check with the better business burear, Chamber of commerce, and the state development commission.  If the company is near an area of restaurants, bars, etc. talk to a waiter or waitress.  They pick up on a lot of stuff.  Check with the local newspaper business editor to see what the buzz is out there.  Companies give all all kinds of signals when they are in trouble and when they are doing well.

Determine the products and services the company produces and figure out who is the competition.  Call the competition and see what it says.

Check for newpapers articles on the company for changes in command of its leadership, plants opening and closing, and layoffs.  If there has been layoff check with the state unemployment commission to see what it knows.

Short version--ask around.  The amount of published information will be minimal.  Your question is a classic market intelligence assignment.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon