Author Topic: Anyone around Albuquerque?  (Read 1526 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
Anyone around Albuquerque?
« on: July 28, 2005, 08:07:14 AM »
My company has an opening there and I'm thinking of leaving the midwest for somewhere warm. What's it like there as far as gun laws, cost of living, etc. I see from weather.com that the weather is nice. Does the city ever get snow? How far would I have to drive to find some snow in case I get the urge?

Edit: Checked out packing.org... you can't carry anywhere that sells alcohol, even if it's for consumption off-premises, like a grocery store. How lame.

client32

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 09:28:12 AM »
I live ~4 hours away.  

I'm sure they get snow, but if I'm wrong you wouldn't have to drive far to find it.  Santa Fe isn't that far away (about an hour) and has (in my opinion) a nice ski area.

As far as gun laws, I don't know about the city in particular, but New Mexico has concealed carry now, and it is good in Texas (which I'm sure is what really matters to you).

We have gone for long weekend vacations.  We do cheap stuff, like the zoo and aquarium.  

It is an interesting town to say the least.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 11:55:26 AM »
I am 75 miles south of ABQ. Gun laws here are , how shall I say...relaxed. Open carry is legal, CCW is good (training requirement, minimal cost). It does snow in ABQ, but rarely. If skiing is your thing, Sandia Peak ski area is just east of town and Taos is 3 hours north.
The housing market in ABQ is hot right now, so good listings get multiple offers right away. Still, more affordable than the Seattle area, where we moved from. If you get away from town, it is less expensive and less crowded.

Oh yeah, New Mexico got a "F" from the Brady Bunch. Smiley

C'mon down!

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 04:13:12 PM »
Where to start? It's my home town; I came back after 12 years in California.

Rio Rancho is where all the growth is now; I'm way, way out to the far northwest; housing is going up, but it's still affordable.

The climate is the best. It's warm, but not terribly hot (not many 100* days), with single-digit humidity in the summer; winters are "crisp", but not too cold, and clear. It snows in town enough to stick about once every 10 years; many years there's none at all. Sandia had a banner year this last winter (100" on closing day), but it was a fluke - there had been virtually no snow for several years previously. Santa Fe Ski Basin (never been there) is not too far away, but it (like all of Santa Fe) draws a lot of tourists. Pajarito (near Los Alamos) is a little farther, and smaller, but less crowded. Both usually have good snow.

CCW is allowed, but Albuquerque's mayor is against it (he managed to get the first one shot down by the NMSC). I've personally had losers from APD try to provoke me; I can't say for sure if it's official policy, but they sure seemed to have the routine well-practiced (it didn't work rolleyes ). Interestingly, it took a Democratic governor to push it through. The only gun laws are federal, and we have preemption. Your car is considered an extension of your home, so any mode of transport is allowed.

There's a range run by the city west of town. They don't allow holstered handguns, but I don't think they care about rapid fire. It was pretty crowded the last time I was there. There's a private club farther northwest ( www.delnortegunclub.com ), and one to the south (www.ziarifleandpistolclub.com ).

Do you know what part of town the job will be in?