Author Topic: how to handle screwing up  (Read 1689 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

how to handle screwing up
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:59:04 AM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080224/METRO/943841452/1004

Drunken driving 'tremendous error'
Associated Press
February 24, 2008

Ruark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SALISBURY, Md.  Wicomico County State's Attorney Davis R. Ruark apologized yesterday for his drunken driving arrest the night before, calling it "a tremendous error in judgment" and saying he hoped the community would forgive him.

Mr. Ruark, 52, was pulled over Friday night in Ocean City after officers observed him speeding and crossing the center line, police said.

After failing field sobriety tests, Mr. Ruark was arrested and taken to Ocean City police headquarters, where he agreed to take a breath test and was found to have a blood-alcohol concentration greater than .08 percent, Maryland's legal threshold for drunken driving, police said.

"This, by far, is the saddest day of my professional career," Mr. Ruark told a small group of reporters yesterday, according to the Salisbury Daily Times. "I made a tremendous error in judgment."

Mr. Ruark said he would attempt to get his case heard as soon as possible. In the meantime, he said he would not personally handle any alcohol- or drug-related cases that involve vehicles.

anyone can screwup  its what you do next that shows what you are

Chris

Re: how to handle screwing up
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:22 AM »

anyone can screwup  its what you do next that shows what you are

Amen. 

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »
Perhaps he should call former WI Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager and get some advice. Of course, her answer would be along the lines of "If you butt kiss the governor enough, you can get away with anything."

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:59:32 PM »
i'm no political ally of this guy. but i adnire the way hes handled it so far. he dod it he said he knows it is sorry. and didn't try to pull strings. sets a good example.reminds me of the son of the ambassador from some smaller african country. he had a fairly minor accident in dc while drunk. the cops found out his status diplomatically and cut him loose  . his dad brought him back in the morning to "face the normal course of the american judicial system.  was about 1978-1979 and it was so unusual that its stayed with me. otis nixon did the same thing when he got suspened during the layoff leadup. if you do it and get caught own it. folks will forgive and forget much quicker.  or do like mrs hillary and make a moments stupidity your trademark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:45 PM »
By contrast, I saw a story in today's newspaper about a couple who were just sentenced for helping their son try to cover up a hit-and-run vehicular homicide. They were going to just have a family friend repair the car, and not tell anyone their darling son had just killed a pedestrian at his girl friend's college. According to the story, two of his pals knew about it, so they took the two pals to dinner and "suggested" to the friends that it would be better for them to keep their mouths shut.

Nice people. Naturally, their scum-bag lawyer argued that they should be treated gently, because they eventually did the right thing (like two weeks later, probably after at least one of the friends talked) after realizing they had initially done the wrong thing. They were just trying to look out for their son, was the argument.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design