Author Topic: Well, I'm back  (Read 4354 times)

grampster

• friend
Well, I'm back
« on: July 31, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »
Got home from University of Michigan Hospital yesterday.  The surgery went well.  I gotta tell you, 12 hours on a morphine pump (get a dose every 8 minutes if ya want) is very nice, even under the circumstances.  Me and the guy in the bed next me spent a very long, but very "comfortable" night getting aquainted, talking, dozing and generally being comforted in the arms of "Morpeus".  Big advance in hospital beds; very comfortable...or maybe it was the morphine.  Interesting experience.  We both volunteered to do another day, but we were gently but firmly told that we needed to come back into the real world.  Sigh.....It's a three hour drive from Ann Arbor home via the freeway.  Hydrocodone gives one an entirely new perspective on traffic.  I drove a bit at first, until I discovered I was not really in the cadillac two cars ahead of me and the road was not a continuous curve to the left..  Swmbo took over for the duration.

Outfitted with a catheter for the next 7 to 10 days.  Got a travelin' bag that attaches to the leg and a larger one that hangs off the bed for sleeping.  The larger bag does not match my shoes, so I guess I'll wear the smaller one under my sweat pants.   Not as bad as I thought.  Not too uncomfortable, but a lot of rigamarole to empty and to clean.  Soap and water, alcohol swabs, antibacterial salve etc.  I have a new appreciation for the rather mundane chore of "taking a leak".

No driving for 2 weeks, no heavy lifting, gotta walk 4 or 5 times a day.  For those of you who want to abscond with my Hydrocodone;  remember, I am armed, ambidextrious and have a bit of time on my hands to hone accuracy in shot placement.

Get more info in a week as to how long I can malinger.  Hopefully, I can stretch it into a month.  Swmbo is already starting to look at me rather narrowly when I start to whine about bringing me a glass of water etc.  

I've got 5 holes in my abdomen.  The largest is about 2 inches long.  I'm a little stiff and sore, but amazingly without much soreness.  All in all, not very uncomfortable.

Thank you all again for your suportive words and prayers.  Believe me, they were greatly appreciated and a source of strength, especially before the procudure.  Anticipation is really worse than reality.

Again, thank you all.

grampster
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Well, I'm back
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 12:32:40 PM »
Glad everything went ok, and you're on your way to recovery.

I've never heard anyone talk about a catheter in such mild terms. Are you sure that morphine substitute isn't masking the pain?

You must have some hobbies that are physically non-taxing. I went nuts doing nothing for several weeks.

But, at any rate, welcome back!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Well, I'm back
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 01:35:32 PM »
Good to have you back in the fight, sir.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

kudu

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 03:38:47 PM »
Welcome back grampster. Smiley

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Well, I'm back
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 03:41:30 PM »
Welcome back, G. We missed your wit and wisdom.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Well, I'm back
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 03:55:48 PM »
Yee HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you're back, full of spit & vinegar, and not too much the worse for wear.

Stand_watie

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »
Welcome back! Glad it went well.

Now, the weather is nice up there this time of year, so you should get your swmbo to help you into a lawnchair in the backyard with one of your target pistols and reload for you and fetch targets Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

grampster

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 04:37:23 PM »
Stand...you are dreaming aren't you?  Or have you been grubbing around in my hydrocodone.   heh heh.  You are right about the weather, and she has been treating me a tad better.  But there are limits and I fully grasp them. heh heh.

Monkeyleg, You may be right.  It's probably the drugs. heh.  You sound as if you have experience in these matters.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

USP45usp

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 04:57:22 PM »
Welcome back Gramp, you were missed.

Hydrocodone, better pain pills out there you know, wouldn't go overboard getting a few Cheesy.

Glad to see you back.  I lurk more than I post, but you Sir, are well worth coming out of the shadows.

Wayne

Standing Wolf

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 06:21:20 PM »
Welcome home! I hope you'll heal well and get well and stay well.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Well, I'm back
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 06:30:04 PM »
Welcome home, sir!  Glad to have you back and glad that all went as well as could be expected.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Well, I'm back
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 06:34:47 PM »
Welcome home. You're right, hospital beds are a lot more comfortable in recent years than they were in the past, and hydrocodone makes them even more so. I just spent a week in one myself and got home Thursday night.  

Catheters and bags are a damned inconvenience but they make things a lot simpler in the long run.  At least the main inconvenience I had was my 'stick horse' (IV pole and pump) which didn't interfere with my comings and goings to the bathroom...much.  

Glad you're home, though. Sounds like you're going to heal up just fine from the way you indicate things went.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Well, I'm back
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 08:40:05 PM »
Welcome back, but with all due respect, you were an idiot for even having tried to drive on prescription pain killers.

As for your being armed if we try to make off with your narcotics...

No problem, you'll probably shoot to the left. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nightfall

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 04:37:33 AM »
Best wishes on your recovery. I'm glad to hear everything went well.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

BobCat

Well, I'm back
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 05:26:48 AM »
Glad to read you are home safe!  Hoping you heal fast and can be back at the range soon.

Regards,
Andrew

grampster

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 06:22:39 AM »
Mike Irwin:  You obviously have never been in a car driven by swmbo.  Didn't take any meds for over 8 hours b/4 I drove.  You are right though, I gave up pretty quick.

grislyatoms

• friends
Well, I'm back
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 06:48:21 AM »
Glad to hear everything's o.k. and that you're still kicking (maybe not kicking as high for awhile, but still kicking!)

Hydrocodone is wonderful stuff. I had a big bottle of it after back surgery 10 or so years ago. Made me feel like I was wrapped in a soft, warm blanket and everything was right with the world!

Another thing, the neurosurgeon sawbones who carved on me said "You keep pushing that morphine pump button like that and we'll have to do surgery on your thumb next!". Most excellent man, he was not just a Dr., he was a healer.

I actually only needed the morphine in the morning and just before the PT guy would come to try to get me to roll out of bed and stand up for awhile. Excruciating.

Hope your recovery is swift and smooth!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Well, I'm back
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 08:00:11 AM »
grampster: Armed & medicated!

Soon, however, to be tanned, rested, & ready.

Good to hear it went as well as can be expected.

As far as driving after operations/medication:  I drove my standard-shift truck to & from surgery when the butchers in the Army were hacking on my leg every other day.  I had too many duties to be confined to a hospital bed for weeks.  You do what you gotta do.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Well, I'm back
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 08:02:46 AM »
Good news Gramps!

If SWMBO is on your case you know you're going to be all right. Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Well, I'm back
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 08:34:35 AM »
"Mike Irwin:  You obviously have never been in a car driven by swmbo.  Didn't take any meds for over 8 hours b/4 I drove.  You are right though, I gave up pretty quick."

OK, from the way you were talking I assumed that you popped a couple of Oxy, washed them down with a brewski, and belted in for a fun-filled trip. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Unisaw

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 08:56:21 AM »
Grampster, welcome back!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

P95Carry

Well, I'm back
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 09:19:06 AM »
Hey Dick - just saw this thread after posting again on my old one.  GREAT to see you back in with us.  All in all seems things did go pretty darned well.

Think back to when you were a kid - ya know, remember how whining was done to Mom - ''But Mom - I only want (enter desired item here) ..'' Cheesy

See if swmbo will buy it too! Smiley

Take care fella - and don't over do it.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Iain

• friend
Well, I'm back
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 09:26:49 AM »
In the middle of delirium (high high fever caused by pneumonia) I was apparently sane enough to threaten a doctor with violence if came near me with a catheter. See they had to knock you out first. Things ain't supposed to go that way up that bit and I won't hear otherwise.

Glad to hear you are doing well.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

HForrest

Well, I'm back
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 08:56:12 PM »
Hey, great to see you back!

Hydrocodone is always combined with acetaminophen, IIRC. You should've bribed the doctor to you get some Morphine Sulfate or something... I'm sure your driving would be twice the fun after an MSIR tablet!:D

Greg L

Well, I'm back
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 03:55:09 AM »
Welcome back, good to hear that it went as well as could be expected.