Author Topic: Let's hear your opinions: Select Comfort/Sleep Number or Tempur-Pedic?  (Read 4949 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

I've been thinking about the fact that we spend roughly 33% of our lives in bed.

SWMBO and I have slept in a softside waterbed for the last 20 years.

We want to buy either a Sleep Number bed (by Select Comfort), or a Tempur-Pedic (memory foam).

Anyone own either/both of these, and what has your experience been? Pros/Cons?

Thanks,
Fig

grampster

• friend
Let's hear your opinions: Select Comfort/Sleep Number or Tempur-Pedic?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »
Select Comfort!!!  By far the very best matress I have ever slept upon.  Ever.

Swmbo purchased one over a year ago and I was heartily skeptical.  No more.  All the propaganda about not tossing and turning, mitigating morning backache...all true in my case.  If you get tired of a particular level of support, you can change it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 04:59:16 PM »
How much them beds go for?  I heard that I have to take out a loan on my house to even get into the playing field.

Wayne

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 05:22:40 PM »
I have the "poor man's version" of the sleep number bed.  In other words, an air mattress insert for a hard sided waterbed frame.  I much prefer it over a waterbed mattress or conventional bed.  The adjustment is not as easy as a Sleep Number, since I have to manually release or add air with a hand pump, but its a heck of a lot cheaper.

Sleeping on air, when properly adjusted, does reduce or eliminate the tossing and turning, back aches and the like.  First night I had it, I fell asleep on my back (which was impossible before), and woke up eight hours later in the same position, feeling GREAT.  The only drawback I've encountered is that if you like to keep your bedroom on the cool side, sleeping directly on the mattress can be a chilling experience.  A mattress pad eliminates that for me.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 06:19:14 PM »
I have a sleep number bed. It's better than my old mattress. It loses some of its air when the power goes out.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 06:36:18 PM »
I've slept on a Tempur-Pedic for 2 1/2 years. I can't reccomend it higher. It's much better than the waterbed I slept on for 30 years previously.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 08:44:31 PM »
I've got  a tempurpedic being delivered tomorrow. Give me a week and I'll let you know what I think.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 01:35:30 AM »
Can't speak for the air bed, but I sleep on a futon.  Hard cotton batting covered by a Temperpedic-like foam, and I've never slept better.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 01:59:38 AM »
We bought a Tempur-Pedic about 8 months ago. It is great. I used to wake up in the morning with my left arm a dead weight, that has not happened since. My wife, with back problems, says the back and hip pain is immensely less now.

You don't feel the other person move, at all! I have not felt my wife get out of bed in months. It seems to help you keep warm in the winter ( I live in Montana). We keep windows open all winter, and we have stopped using our electric blanket, we just put on an extra comforter and stay warm when the room temp is close to 50, sometimes a little less. I don't wake up sweating in the summer, I sleep like a baby.

I would recommend the Tempur-Pedic to anyone. It is a great bed.

bob

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 09:14:36 AM »
USP45usp-- They are NOT cheap at all.  A couple to a few THOUSAND dollars roughly.  
However, let's think about what you can do to SIGNIFICANTLY improve the largest section of your life:
33% of your life...IN BED.

A GREAT bed seems worth it, to me.
I ENVY those of you who can throw a thick blanket on the floor and sleep like a baby.  I could, too...when I was 19.

Knee surgeries, impending hip replacements, SWMBO's 6-pack of ruptured/herniated/damaged discs, and the money seems SO well spent versus, say, a trip to Thunder Ranch, a cruise to the Bahamas, and so on.  It'll keep paying dividends FAR beyond those fleeting things.

Stand_watie, let me know your impressions--keep a journal!

BobR-- you brought up a couple of things that keep me leaning a little toward the Sleep Number... IIRC, Tempur-Pedic is a touch MORE expensive.  And, we are in Alo freakin' Bammo.  Anybody ever experience a summer in AloBammo?  Hot is not the word.  Knoxville was not THAT much further north, but it's a little up in the Smoky Mtns and is MUCH more temperate.  I can grab a blanket to get warmer.  Being too hot is my larger concern at this point.

Good feedback, all of you--thanks much!  I'll continue to weigh pros n cons, and let you know what we choose.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 11:16:28 AM »
To flesh out what I wrote last night about the Tempur-Pedic, SWMBO has fibromyalgia; the Tempur bed goes a long way toward helping relieve her postural discomfort at night, more than any other bed she's tried.  It's hard to categorize it as a 'firm' or 'soft' mattress as you tend to sink down into it when you lie down, then the foam contours to you, sort of like making a soft-fit mold.  Yes, the ad (on TV) is correct- you can jump on the thing and a glass won't jiggle or tip. I seldom know when she gets in or out of the bed, but I do know when the Labrador gets on the foot.

My only complaint about the Tempur bed is the foundation, or box that the Tempur mattress is placed on. I've replaced 2 foundations under warranty because of knotholes in the wooden structure.  The frames break at that point.  I'm planning to build a sleeping platform/ riser one of these days which will have a solid surface and I'll do away with the foundation, which looks like an oversized set of box springs, but has no resiliency.

As for me, yeah, I like the Tempur mattress. It feels just fine to me. I've never had it feel 'too warm' or 'too cold' ever, and right now it's a typical Dallas day/evening with heat and humidity.

The only regret I have in buying mine is that I got a queen size instead of a king. I thought the queen would be ok- we'd been on a king for years.  When you have as many dogs and cats as we do, stepping down a size on sleeping accomodations is just a bad idea all around.

You might also consider a floor demo model- for a price break.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 05:41:57 PM »
I'm sorry guys, I told you wrong. It was a Monaco "tension ease" mattress that I got. It is heavenly so far, it has the "memory foam" thing, I'm not sure if it goes all the way through or is just the top. I got it with the "foundation" for 1g.

An idea I had for someone wanting to test the waters regarding memory foam, is that walmart sells a memory foam topper, 6 inches thick, in queen size for 200 bucks. If you really liked that, and wanted to go whole hog on a full mattress, you could then use the topper as a spare bed that can be rolled up small and tucked in the closet.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 05:45:01 PM »
( I live in Montana). We keep windows open all winter, and we have stopped using our electric blanket, we just put on an extra comforter and stay warm when the room temp is close to 50, sometimes a little less
What do you do, smelt iron ore in your bedroom to keep the temp up to 50 in the winter with the windows open? Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

HForrest

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 08:32:05 PM »
My parents just bought a Tempur-Pedic... I haven't tried a select-comfort, so I can't comment on those. However, the Tempur-Pedic is by far the most comfortable bed I've ever felt. Some people complain about the odor of the polyurethane, but it goes completely away after less than a week.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »
I don't have anything gimmicky, just a good high quality Stearns and Foster matress. I sleep like a baby on it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

...has left the building.

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 03:27:14 AM »
I've met the founder of Tempur-pedic, kind of a pompous ass...anyway, I'd try the Tempur and then just return it if you don't like it. They have some kind of 1 (or 2?) month guarantee. Make sure you read the fine print.

Personally, I like a good old spring one with a "pillowtop". A good pillowtop will still cost nearly $1.5K.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 05:15:23 AM »
Just for the record, if you have a baby, it's not recommended you let them nap on the Swedish foam mattresses.  If they roll onto their stomachs and the mattress "conforms" to their face, that's bad news.

I've been thinking about buying a king sized mattress to replace our full, since the baby tends to hang out on our bed more than his, and I've always wanted a Tempur-Pedic, but no dice, I've discovered in my research.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 05:32:54 AM »
The wife and I have a cheapo ($400) knockoff of the Tempur-pedic, and we've never slept better. I'd say why, but everyone else already has.
D. R. ZINN

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 09:45:28 PM »
i sleep on a tempur-pedic I found outside a dumpster... in a van down buy the river.

its comfortable.

atek3