Author Topic: so they gonna draft him?  (Read 9986 times)

outerlimit

Re: so they gonna draft him?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »
So, he declared he was a candidate for President, but from what I can tell, he never actually RAN for President...

The media made sure he got almost no mention.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
ahh the media conspiracy.  but even in his home district he doesn't get the nod. and they know him there.
and the media mighta disregarded paul due to the freakshow he draws.  like the liberty dollar nonsense

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »
So, he declared he was a candidate for President, but from what I can tell, he never actually RAN for President...

Oh please.

If Ron Paul had had a half a chance in hell the media would have given him a lot more coverage.

The media gave him PLENTY of coverage before he did his first in a series of "face first into a brick wall at 55 MPH" performances in the primaries.

The media isn't going to waste column inches on a candidate that the voters don't support.

This crap about "It's the media's fault that Ron Paul's campaign crashed and burned" is scapegoating BS of the maximum depth and stench. It's the epitome of sour grapes by people whose candidate proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he didn't have the first clue about how to campaign for the presidency.

I guess it's also the media's fault that Paul was more content to sit on his war chest of contributions than he was to actively campaign and advertise in contested states.

I guess it's also the media's fault that Paul could only pull in what, 7% of the vote in his home state?

Hell, even Walter Mondale, in the bitch slapping that he took in 1984, managed to win his home state.

So yes, yes, let's all blame the convenient target, the media, instead of looking to place the blame squarely where it should rest.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

outerlimit

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »

Oh please.

If Ron Paul had had a half a chance in hell the media would have given him a lot more coverage.

The media gave him PLENTY of coverage before he did his first in a series of "face first into a brick wall at 55 MPH" performances in the primaries.

The media isn't going to waste column inches on a candidate that the voters don't support.

This crap about "It's the media's fault that Ron Paul's campaign crashed and burned" is scapegoating BS of the maximum depth and stench. It's the epitome of sour grapes by people whose candidate proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he didn't have the first clue about how to campaign for the presidency.

I guess it's also the media's fault that Paul was more content to sit on his war chest of contributions than he was to actively campaign and advertise in contested states.

I guess it's also the media's fault that Paul could only pull in what, 7% of the vote in his home state?

Hell, even Walter Mondale, in the bitch slapping that he took in 1984, managed to win his home state.

So yes, yes, let's all blame the convenient target, the media, instead of looking to place the blame squarely where it should rest.

I know many people who favored Paul above the other candidates on the issues, but wouldn't vote for him because "he doesn't have a chance". Don't you agree that the media creates this perception? The media basically chooses who they think should be candidates and the people for the most part vote the lesser of evils. People don't vote for candidates that they are told won't win.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 01:31:01 AM »
Yes, and he consistently reinforced this perception by losing, badly, every race he ran in.
Last spring the media were saying that McCain's campaign was finished and he didnt have a chance.  I guess your theory just crashed and burned.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 03:49:52 AM »

Oh please.

Mike, I disagree.
IN the early stages of the race, McStain placed poorly in polls and the first few primaries.  They gave him oodles of coverage and he came back.  Then after a decent showing, Hucakbee started to slide.  Same thing he still got lots of coverage.
Some coverage I watched mentioned every candidate except Dr. Paul.  Yes his placing was last in said primary, but to mention all the others but him was absurd.
Much like Alan Keyes a few years ago, outside the debates they gave Dr. Paul almost zero coverage.
Would he have won?  I'll be a realist and say no.  Would he have placed better if the Media had actually gotten his message out? Certainly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 03:56:30 AM »
Fox had good reason to start really ignoring him after a bunch of Paulians, carrying signs, chased Sean Hannity across Manchester while screaming like a crazed attack mob.

If a group physically attacked one of your employees, would you be interested in promoting their agenda?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 04:05:33 AM »
...physically attacked? How did you jump from 'waved signs and shouted slogans' to 'physically attacked'?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 04:14:13 AM »
I'm guessing you didn't watch the video.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:23 AM »
I remember watching some video of such content, but the details are fuzzy on me.

I stopped being interested in the details of the Ron Paul campaign approximately after New Hampshire or possibly Nevada.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

WeedWhacker

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
Fox had good reason to start really ignoring him after a bunch of Paulians, carrying signs, chased Sean Hannity across Manchester while screaming like a crazed attack mob.

Methinks someone's timetable is off. Or deliberately being distorted.
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »

Methinks someone's timetable is off. Or deliberately being distorted.

It's a conspiracy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 09:41:04 AM »
"I know many people who favored Paul above the other candidates on the issues, but wouldn't vote for him because "he doesn't have a chance". Don't you agree that the media creates this perception? The media basically chooses who they think should be candidates and the people for the most part vote the lesser of evils. People don't vote for candidates that they are told won't win."

No, I certainly do not agree that the media creates the perception that Ron Paul is unelectable.

Many candidates in years past have overcome SIGNFICIANT critical media attention to win elections.

A good example is John F. Kennedy. Many newspapers in the United States flat out questioned his ability to serve the American people if he was "serving the Pope."

Given the kind of hostility that Kennedy faced in a largely protestant nation you'd think that he would have been crushed in the polls.

Kennedy countered with TONS of advertising across the nation, a multi-point message that resonated with voters, employing one of the most effective campaign staffs ever, and putting on a ton of miles campaigning all across the United States.

Ron Paul did hardly any of that. At the point that it became clear that he wasn't mounting a serious campaign for President the media started to ignore him. Why should they give him press when he's apparently not serious about running?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »
I know that the democrats are -really- hoping that a libertarian/conservative third party candidate runs...

Me as well, but I am not a democrat.