Author Topic: It's tough being a dad...  (Read 4784 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
It's tough being a dad...
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:04:27 AM »
The "baby" of the bunch just headed off to school, driving herself there for the very first time. It's dark, cloudy and drizzling. Just to add to the enjoyment, she creamed a deer just about a week ago. I'm officially a nervous wreck. (Now THERE"S a poor choice of words  laugh )

I guess if I don't hear sirens for the next 20 minutes or so that'll be a good thing. 

grin

Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: It's tough being a dad...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:09:45 AM »
12 more years to go for me.

She hasn't even discovered how uncool I am yet. Cheesy

Chris

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:14:25 AM »
My sympathies. I've got about five years before my oldest does that. I may have to hit up my MIL for a nerve pill to get me through it. Smiley
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:16:26 AM »
Maybe it's time for a shot. I'm pretty sure we got some tequila around here.  laugh

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:17:42 AM »
Mine turns 16 next year.  Her best friend just turned 16 back in November and her mom has got her a Ford Explorer to drive.  Girl is going to have to work for it though.

My son I still have 5 years before he is 16.  Maybe I will stay in Iraq for a little more time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »
Any meat from the deer?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:33:58 AM »
Unfortunately no, when I say she creamed it I wasn't lying. It was quite the mess. I did finally achieve manhood however by going to the junkyard, getting a used fender etc and fixing the car. Fender was even the right color although not the exact shade. I'm rightly proud of myself.  laugh

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 02:36:31 AM »
12 more years to go for me.

She hasn't even discovered how uncool I am yet. Cheesy

Chris

Don't worry. The rest of us know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:42:50 AM »
I'm figuring Abby will run Mike over and then back up over him again to see what it was she ran over.  grin

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 02:50:26 AM »
i got a taste of that fear when the 6 year old rolled her 4 wheeler   wasn't as bad as the pony rolling over on her though

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:52:19 AM »
The "baby" of the bunch just headed off to school, driving herself there for the very first time. It's dark, cloudy and drizzling. Just to add to the enjoyment, she creamed a deer just about a week ago. I'm officially a nervous wreck. (Now THERE"S a poor choice of words  laugh )

I guess if I don't hear sirens for the next 20 minutes or so that'll be a good thing. 

grin

Ungh.
I've been working on housbreaking spwan number two.  She's 2.5.  She *expletive deleted*it in the bath tub last night.
Wife's been out of town on business for 7 consecutive days.  She was home friday night at midnight and gone again Monday afteroon until later today.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 03:15:16 AM »
Ouch... I so do not miss the potty training days. I'd tell you a story or two but I don't want this to turn into a crappy thread.  grin

I guess no matter what age they are, they give you pause for reflection.  cheesy

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 03:47:39 AM »
Ouch... I so do not miss the potty training days. I'd tell you a story or two but I don't want this to turn into a crappy thread.  grin

I guess no matter what age they are, they give you pause for reflection.  cheesy

Certainly!
The girl has a little rocking horse....she just tipped it over forwards.... laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 03:56:08 AM »
Mine is three and change.

Last summer she "made doodies" in her pool.

While her freind was in it with her.

Momma- what's floating in the water?

Everyone out NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what I find most amazing is that seemingly "normal" adults can go from saying "take a piss", "*expletive deleted*it" and "crap" to "pee-pees" and "doodies".

280- I can't even imagine.  I was a mess the first day that I dropped her off at Nursery School and left her there.....Jen wouldn't let me sit on the front lawn and wait......sigh.....
One day at a time.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 04:36:30 AM »
Let's see Bill Murray take a bite outta THAT one!  laugh

I believe that's called a "fecal accident" in pool terminology. I recall dating a girl with a young son once. I was taking young son for a little float in the lake after lunch. He was like 2. Young son decided it was time to empty his stomach into the lake. I did my best to swim out of range of the spreading pool of barf. 

Didn't feel much like swimming after that.  shocked

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:19 AM »
Its tough letting them go. 

Watching them move out to their own apartment in town is one thing, but leaving them behind when you move to another state is another.

I moved from Arizona to Maryland in Nov and left my 23 year old son and 20 year old daughter behind.  My 19 year old came with me.

What was even harder was moving their momma in Feb from AZ to MD.  That was a tough one. 

In the end we can only hope we raised them the best we could.  They'll always be a part of our lives but not like it was back when they were babies. 

It hurts but in time your heart will mend.  You'll also cherrish them phone calls.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 08:10:25 AM »
Okay so she's peed in the training potty like 10 times today.  No poop.  I know as soon as I stick a pull-up on her she's going to crap in it.
 angry
JD

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
280Plus: At least you didn't try to hide the keys......good man.....

I'm figuring Abby will run Mike over and then back up over him again to see what it was she ran over.  grin

I expect Mike will have a permanent place on her front bumper....right next to the Bogie sticker.....

i got a taste of that fear when the 6 year old rolled her 4 wheeler   wasn't as bad as the pony rolling over on her though

You gotta be pretty good to roll a pony.....glad to hear she's OK.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:27 AM »
Okay so she's peed in the training potty like 10 times today.  No poop.  I know as soon as I stick a pull-up on her she's going to crap in it.
 angry

Yes, there most certainly will be.

One day at a time.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
pony rolling was my fault  inexperience   i caused her to slip into a ditch   thankfully it was muddy just made a mud angel with the kid   myfacial expression musta been something  was a bad moment for me kid was about 3

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »
A "mud angel"  laugh

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 02:28:23 PM »
it was amazingly detailed you could see the seams in her jeans where they imprinted the mud. at least she was face up. i picked her up and carried her about a 1/2 mile home with pony following like a puppy. she cried a lil but not much  i wanted to cry

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »
Don't worry, you'll look back at that say 20 years from now and still feel bad about it.  laugh

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »
Note to self:
Keep ponies away from ditch...and my children.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
if i'd let thr pony do what it had planned all would have been well. its when i took command things went south.   hmmm i see a pattern here anytime i try to command women