Author Topic: Bush: Fairness Doctrine unfair  (Read 12969 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Bush: Fairness Doctrine unfair
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:08:18 AM »
Bush: Fairness Doctrine unfair
By Ken Herman
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/washington/washington/entries/2008/03/11/bush_fairness_d.html

In Nashville today, during a speech to the National Religious Broadcasters Convention, President Bush said theres nothing fair about the so-called Fairness Doctrine that once required broadcasters to offer air time for competing ideologies.

The FCC got rid of it about 20 years ago. Now, some Democrats in Congress - long the target of popular conservative radio talk-show hosts - think its time to bring it back.

Perish the thought, Bush told the religious broadcasters in the following passage that ends with a veto promise.

This organization has had many important missions, but none more important than ensuring our airways - Americas airways - stay open to those who preach the Good News. The very first amendment to our Constitution includes the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion. Founders believed these unalienable rights were endowed to us by our Creator. They are vital to a healthy democracy, and we must never let anyone take those freedoms away.

I mention this because theres an effort afoot that would jeopardize your right to express your views on public airways. Some members of Congress want to reinstate a regulation that was repealed 20 years ago. It has the Orwellian name called the Fairness Doctrine. Supporters of this regulation say we need to mandate that any discussion of so-called controversial issues on the public airwaves includes equal time for all sides. This means that many programs wanting to stay on the air would have to meet Washingtons definition of balance. Of course, for some in Washington, the only opinions that require balancing are the ones they dont like.

We know who these advocates of so-called balance really have in their sights: shows hosted by people like Rush Limbaugh or James Dobson, or many of you here today. By insisting on so-called balance, they want to silence those they dont agree with. The truth of the matter is, they know they cannot prevail in the public debate of ideas. They dont acknowledge that you are the balance & The country should not be afraid of the diversity of opinions. After all, were strengthened by diversity of opinions.

If Congress truly supports the free and open exchange of ideas, then there is a way they can demonstrate that right now. Republicans have drafted legislation that would ban reinstatement of the so-called Fairness Doctrine. Unfortunately, Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives have blocked action on this bill. So in response, nearly every Republican in the House has signed onto whats called a discharge petition, that would require Congress to hold an up or down vote on the ban. Supporters of this petition are only 24 signatures away.

I do want to thank (Indiana Rep.) Mike Pence, who is with us today, and Congressman Greg Walden (of Oregon), for pressing this effort and defending the right for people to express themselves freely. And I urge other members to join in this discharge petition. But Ill tell you this: If Congress should ever pass any legislation that stifles your right to express your views, Im going to veto it.

Permalink | Comments (322) | Post your comment |

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Bush: Fairness Doctrine unfair
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »
Reminds me of why I voted for him. If only he could have been this forceful on other issues as well.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »
Radio shows exist when people listen to them and respond to advertisers.

People like to listen to conservative talk radio. They didn't listen to liberal talk radio. Boo hoo.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Bush decrying the hypocracy of Orwellian double-speak?

My head just exploded.  shocked
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »
Radio shows exist when people listen to them and respond to advertisers.

People like to listen to conservative talk radio. They didn't listen to liberal talk radio. Boo hoo.
Leftists WOULD listen to liberal talk radio, but with overwhelmingly liberal broadcast TV, cable TV, and newspapers, there's such a thing as market saturation . . . I mean, it's hard to read the New York Times, watch CBS, and listen to Air America all at the same time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »
Why couldn't we have 8 good years of THAT guy?? sad

nico

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
Why couldn't we have 8 good years of THAT guy?? sad

Agreed.  It's hard to imagine George W. Bush giving that speech shocked

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 09:44:38 PM »
So.... wait.. we're now seriously considering regulating radio for political content? Is that even constitutional?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:34:18 AM »
So.... wait.. we're now seriously considering regulating radio for political content? Is that even constitutional?
Um, yes.
Radio is licensed.  Ergo it is a privilege.  Ergo gov't can regulate it.  That was the rule up to 20 years ago.  And it made some sense given the limited media outlet 20+ years ago.
Today, with internet, cable, etc there are plenty of outlets for all kinds of views.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 05:37:13 AM »
I believe the liberal cry for this started after conservative talk radio completely derailed the amnesty-for-illegals bill, informing people and causing them to flood legislative phone lines to tell their lawmakers to knock it off.

They can't have that sort of public mobilization going on, after all.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »
I believe the liberal cry for this started after conservative talk radio completely derailed the amnesty-for-illegals bill, informing people and causing them to flood legislative phone lines to tell their lawmakers to knock it off.

I'm not aware of any such bill.
In any case, the success of conservative talk radio has certainly pushed the agenda here to limit it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 05:55:06 AM »

In any case, the success of conservative talk radio has certainly pushed the agenda here to limit it.

WTF?

The euphemistically named "Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007" that went down in FLAMES?

Where have you been for the past year? Huh?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 06:11:21 AM »

WTF?

The euphemistically named "Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007" that went down in FLAMES?

Where have you been for the past year? Huh?
Please quote the relevant section that affords amnesty.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17:36 AM »
Oh, for god's sake... never mind.  rolleyes

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 06:20:33 AM »
can't find it?  funny neither could i

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 06:21:54 AM »
No, I'm not going to waste time arguing with someone whose blatant and obvious agenda is set in stone. It's like arguing with a brick wall.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
thats too bad.  it gives the appearance to some that you made a statement and when called on it are unable to substantiate it and running off and playing some psuedo morality/principal dodge in a weak attempt to avoid aknowledging that the statement was "less than truthful"  sounds almost like one of the hippys from berkley's style

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 07:31:05 AM »
Oh, for god's sake... never mind.  rolleyes

I'll take that as an admission that there was no amnesty provision in the bill (which is in fact the case).

Any bill that did not call for the drawing and quartering of illegals was sure to be condemned as "amnesty" in some circles.

If you want to see what amnesty actually looks like, see what Carter did with the draft dodgers as his first presidential act.  That's an amnesty.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 08:13:08 AM »
I'll take that as an admission that there was no amnesty provision in the bill (which is in fact the case).
I don't know if there was an amnesty provision in the bill or not, BUT, it would have legalized and made citizens of between 12 and 20 million presently illegal aliens.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duk, then it is a duck, no matter what you call it.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »
I don't know if there was an amnesty provision in the bill or not, BUT, it would have legalized and made citizens of between 12 and 20 million presently illegal aliens.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duk, then it is a duck, no matter what you call it.
Go check your dictionary for the word amnesty.  I realize asking people to make subtle distinctions in meaning is tough, but that's the way it is.

What any of this has to do with Fairness Doctrine is beyond me.  Can someone redirect this thread?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Um, yes.
Radio is licensed.  Ergo it is a privilege.  Ergo gov't can regulate it. 

I sort of thought regulation of radio was only for safety purposes (no radio interfering with airlines or with other channels) and only partly bled into obscenity laws.

And of course, I am aware this sort of thing existed in the past, but I thought it went away in the 80's and was no longer an option discussed in the mainstream.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 09:14:24 AM »

Since when has something being constitutional or not stopped our government. If they want to do it, they will.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »
The Rabbi & c-daddy are being dishonest in their posts to provoke an effect, rather than for dishonesty's sake, I think.

There is a name for such folks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »
then you can show us the section that give amnesty?  maned wolf will be grateful

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 12:23:39 PM »
The Rabbi & c-daddy are being dishonest in their posts to provoke an effect, rather than for dishonesty's sake, I think.

There is a name for such folks.

Do tell. rolleyes rolleyes