Author Topic: Geraldine Ferraro just crashed and burned...  (Read 8991 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Geraldine Ferraro just crashed and burned...
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:54:36 AM »
she was on Clinton's team.

She made the comment that the only reason Barak Obama is in the position he is right now is because he's black.

Oops...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080313/pl_nm/usa_politics_dc_22;_ylt=AvMt8568tfagMveAw.5EAYIE1vAI
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Geraldine Ferraro just crashed and burned...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:20:08 AM »
Another one bites the dust.

Rush was right, It IS fun to watch these morons destroy each other.

nico

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
I have as much fun as anyone watching political hacks destroy themselves, but. . .

would Obama be where he is now if he were white?

I'm sure I'll be called a racist, but I think she probably just said something that a lot of people were thinking but had the common sense to keep to themselves in public.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:29:07 AM »
I have as much fun as anyone watching political hacks destroy themselves, but. . .

I'm sure I'll be called a racist, but I think she probably just said something that a lot of people were thinking but had the common sense to keep to themselves in public.
Ferraro is remarkably perceptive.  Her problem is her diplomacy.  It is obviously the case that if Obama were white he would not be where he is.  The speed with which the Black Leadership has abandoned their friends, The Clintons, is breathtaking.
In any case, Ferraro was a has-been 20 years ago.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:43:02 AM »
I've heard a lot of the self-rightous pundits castigating her on the grounds that she was insensitive, a bigot, a racist, and so forth and so on.

But nobody - at least, nobody I've heard - has said she was factually incorrect.

Because she's not.

. . . The speed with which the Black Leadership has abandoned their friends, The Clintons, is breathtaking . . .
That's the ONE part of the campaign that I'm really enjoying!  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »
Being a PC leftist means always having to say you're sorry.

This is all good ugly fun.

Ferraro drew attention to the reality of "identity politics," and the Left wants to have it both ways, above it all and yet wallowing in it and exploiting it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:46:07 AM »
She's actually correct.

But she said it with all the tact and grace of a thrown brick. That never works that well.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that being black and named "Barrack Hussein Obama" not only don't make it more likely that you'll get the nomination, they make it much, much harder to be in such a position.

There's no affirmative action mode on vote counting machines. 

I think her statement was just plain wrong, and another example of the Clintonista tactic of taking the lowest blow possible if it will in any way diminish an enemy of the Clintons.

His race has nothing to do with this election, and Obama has not in any way made his race a feature of his campaign.  To understand for whom race is really a factor, you need to look at the people who keep talking about it-and that ain't the Obama campaign.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

nico

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »
His race has nothing to do with this election, and Obama has not in any way made his race a feature of his campaign.  To understand for whom race is really a factor, you need to look at the people who keep talking about it-and that ain't the Obama campaign.
shocked do you really believe that?  Just about every mindless Obama supporter (meaning the bandwagon jumpers, not all of them) thinks it'll be awesome to vote for the first black president.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 08:15:04 PM »
shocked do you really believe that?  Just about every mindless Obama supporter (meaning the bandwagon jumpers, not all of them) thinks it'll be awesome to vote for the first black president.

I don't think that's a major factor driving the election-if it were, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson wouldn't have been getting Ralph Nader level turnouts.

The supporters of most every candidate are mindless-Obama is doing well because of his marketing and public speaking skills.  Not because being black and with an Arabic name makes you easier to elect in America.  That's really a ridiculous proposition when you think about it, isn't it?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

SomeKid

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:52:42 PM »

I don't think that's a major factor driving the election-if it were, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson wouldn't have been getting Ralph Nader level turnouts.

The supporters of most every candidate are mindless-Obama is doing well because of his marketing and public speaking skills.  Not because being black and with an Arabic name makes you easier to elect in America.  That's really a ridiculous proposition when you think about it, isn't it?

First, you forget that both Sharpton and Jackson ran against MUCH better opponents than McStain, or Rodham.

Second, this is the primary, not general. The left wing base (which he needs to vote for him right now, not your average American) has gone further and further left and into anti-America territory (where you probably feel right at home). Now, since your average left-winger is slightly out of touch with reality, thinks America is never good, and always bad, and that it is our fault 9/11 happened, and Muslims/Arabs have been mistreated along with the "legacy of slavery", a black man named Barack Hussein Obama becomes really appealing.

Third, Line up the groups. Blacks? Voting for BHO because of skin color, like a good racist. anti-Clinton people vote for BHO because he ain't Hillary. You can run down a LOT of groups, and see reasons why they vote for BHO over HRC. Identity politics, really simple stuff.

All that said, I admit I am a bit surprised that he has a chance of beating HRC. The woman has been planning this for over a decade. Maybe the Daley syndicate is more powerful than we all thought? Just goes to show, no matter how well you plan, it doesn't mean you survive.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:31:25 PM »
So how come blacks didn't vote for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton at a rate of 90 percent, if this is just the racist vote?

Sorry, these analyses do not stand up to the facts. 

nico

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
I never said that it was the only factor or that race alone = political success, just that it is a factor.  Plenty of black people see Sharpton and Jackson as the *expletive deleted*che bags they are, but if they were white, we wouldn't even know who they are. 

The supporters of most every candidate are mindless
I can agree with that

Obama is doing well because of his marketing and public speaking skills.  Not because being black and with an Arabic name makes you easier to elect in America.  That's really a ridiculous proposition when you think about it, isn't it?
It seems to me the Dems have been trying to downplay his "Arabic name" (see: the response anyone gets from his supporters when they say "Barack Hussein Obama").  Do you really think that everybody would still have fawned over Obama at the 2004 Dem convention (or that he'd have been chosen to give the speech) if he looked like Ted Kennedy?  If so, can you at least see why a political party would have a desire to prop up successful blacks/ other minorities to show how diverse they are?   

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 03:13:29 AM »
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that being black and named "Barrack Hussein Obama" not only don't make it more likely that you'll get the nomination, they make it much, much harder to be in such a position.

There's no affirmative action mode on vote counting machines. 

I think her statement was just plain wrong, and another example of the Clintonista tactic of taking the lowest blow possible if it will in any way diminish an enemy of the Clintons.

Oh, I see you haven't listened to anything spoken by his wife.  Or his minister.

Sorry, BHO is a talented speaker who would still be in the state legislature, but for his pigmentation.  Joe Biden had his number early on.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »
Do you really think that everybody would still have fawned over Obama at the 2004 Dem convention (or that he'd have been chosen to give the speech) if he looked like Ted Kennedy?  If so, can you at least see why a political party would have a desire to prop up successful blacks/ other minorities to show how diverse they are?   

Yes, I do. It already happened-bill clinton is white as snow, and sounds like a good old boy.  He won by landslides for the exact same reason that Obama is doing so right now.

This whole thing is silly.  The factors he has in common with bill clinton are what are handing him this race; not the color of his skin. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »
Er, Clinton won no federal election by a landslide.  He never even got 50% in both presidential elections, iirc.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »
The Left has been fomenting forms of tribalism--aka "identity poltiics"--for decades.  Well, it's arrived.  It's everyone for "his own."  The white middle-class may be the only group NOT to buy into the "take care of mine" philosophy, but a few more doses of Rev. Wright and even the most guilt-stricken numbskulls will begin to get the ugly picture of where the country has devolved.  Survivalism will be the emerging political force in America, on all levels.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »
Er, Clinton won no federal election by a landslide.  He never even got 50% in both presidential elections, iirc.

Those percentages count as easy wins in a presidential election.  That's the nature of the system; he easily beat GH Bush and had no real challenge in his re-election campaign.

If people vote out of "racial guilt" or just because the candidate is black, someone please explain to me why Al Sharpton got the numbers he did.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 03:31:33 PM »
Al Sharpton doesn't engender any sympathy.  Obama does.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »
Al Sharpton doesn't engender any sympathy.  Obama does.

How is this related to his race?

What I see is a lot of opposition to Obama masquerading as explanations other than Obama's skill as a politician for why he is doing so well in the election.  There are lots of good reasons to believe Obama will not be a great leader and will not manage the country in the best fashion; that was also true of Bill Clinton.  However, his race has nothing to do with these points, and it certainly has nothing to do with why he's winning right now in the polls.

Lots of black people run for political office.  There is no one else with his skin tone who has done what Obama is doing now, or even come close.  This whole idea that it's somehow the affirmative action effect just doesn't add up.

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
There are many reasons why Obama is doing well, among them is that he's black enough that liberal idiot Whites can alleviate themselves of white guilt by supporting him yet he's not too black that he scares them.   

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »
Why wouldn't he be?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 05:11:57 PM »
Why wouldn't he be?
Because he wouldnt command the support of Black Leaders, who until Obama had been loyal supporters of the Clintons.
And he would have been just another inexperienced noob from Chicago.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 08:25:14 PM »
Why wouldn't he be?
Because he wouldnt command the support of Black Leaders, who until Obama had been loyal supporters of the Clintons.
And he would have been just another inexperienced noob from Chicago.

Yeah, like there are no other reasons to not support the Clintons?  News flash: they are in the position they are in because of...them, not because of Barack Obama. 

johnster999

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »
I think the wacky minister issue would have finished a white candidate. After seeing the reactions in the polls, I think it may even finish Obama. Time will tell.