Author Topic: God D@mn America, says BHO's Minister  (Read 15555 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: God D@mn America, says BHO's Minister
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 05:20:57 PM »
Obama is a political weasel, no doubt about it.  Be we knew that already.

What concerns me is that Obama seems to think that Wright's brand of perverted Christianity is the norm in the black culture.  If so, we have serious problems as a nation.  It's bad enough that the Wahabis on the opposite side of the globe are perverting their religion to inspire vehement anti-American racist  hatred.  But now, if Obama is correct, we have the exact same thing right here in our own backyard.

Interesting times, I suppose.   undecided

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
I don't see how you could be more fair on the issue of race than he achieved in this one
Really? Comparing that hatefulness spewed from the pulpit to his grandmother, because she stereotyped and was afraid of being mugged?

Yes.  If you read the speech, it makes sense-resentment builds in both directions.

Denying that there is racism makes victims of racism resentful.  Likewise, blaming people for racism who had nothing to do with it, and calling them racists for opposing things like affirmative action or "integrated" schooling makes people resentful.  I think that was his point and it's a good one. 

Will he actually solve the racial divide? Yeah right.  But the fact remains that it was a good speech and it was thoughtful.  Seeing people deny that about it just proves that no political movement is immune to self-serving fantasy.

It would be great if someone with Obama's policies were a bad politician who gave dumb speeches and hurt his chances of getting elected, but that's fantasy.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
I have news for Mr Obama: blacks are not the only ones who are "angry."  He makes resentment sound petty and anger sound righteous.  I realize that's where his head is, but that won't fly, and he'll learn that in November, if he gets that far.

The issue isn't whether there's racism.  There definitely is.  But to say that isn't to say much.  Where exactly is the racism and what exactly is its impact.  Too many blacks (apparently) want to blame their situation, or their feelings, on some amorphous plague of Racism.  What we saw in Rev. Wright's church was mass psychopathy, not legitimate anger at injustice.  As for the racism, that works two ways.  How much black-on-white crime in America is hate-based--in other words, racist?  And how much of the problem with black people in America is rooted in cultural issues they don't want to confront?  If Obama really wants to open up this matter for serious public discussion, he's going to have to get his hands dirty--and, frankly, he doesn't look like the type.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
Yes.  If you read the speech, it makes sense-resentment builds in both directions.
If you really don't see a difference of scale between the hateful stuff spewed by Wright and some racial stereotypes held by Obama's grandmother, there's no point in trying to explain it to you.

Denying that there is racism makes victims of racism resentful.  Likewise, blaming people for racism who had nothing to do with it, and calling them racists for opposing things like affirmative action or "integrated" schooling makes people resentful.  I think that was his point and it's a good one.
What was the point again? Pretending that all whites are racists and that America is a racist nation is the same as being afraid a black man might mug you?

D. R. ZINN

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
doczinn,

I believe this kind of "my resentment and race commentary is justified and righteous but theirs ain't!" business is exactly what the speech is about.

The speech did not pretend that whites are all racist.  It was a fair comment-pointing out that whites rightly become resentful over affirmative action and other programs that disadvantage them when they haven't done any harm to others.  At the same time, as Huckabee rightly pointed out, being discriminated against just for being black for most of his life is going to have an impact on the minister...it would on all of us. 

Get over it-your resentment over discrimination is not anymore righteous or justified, or worthy of being aired, than that of others.  That was the point of the speech, and it was a good one.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »
The speech did not pretend that whites are all racist.
You completely fail to understand. The speech was made in defense of a pastor who acts as though this were true, and the speech failed to refute it. It did so by equating that with the stereotypes possibly held by his grandmother.

D. R. ZINN

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 03:51:02 AM »
In an interview yesterday, Obama referred to his grandmother as a "typical white person" in that she'd be afraid of a black man walking on the street.

A typical white person. Really.

Obama is a racist. And "black democrats" just cannot let go of the hate-whites resent-whites black-panthers violent method of thought. And that's why they'll never be elected.

It's why blacks that have reached offices as high as Supreme Court Justice and Secretary of State are Republicans. Because they don't have that poisonous resentment. They know the 1960's are over. They are just Americans, like any other American.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2008, 04:07:16 AM »
Obama's grandmama may get scared of young black men on the street.  But so do Black grandmamas.  sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

johnster999

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 05:47:24 AM »
In an interview yesterday, Obama referred to his grandmother as a "typical white person" in that she'd be afraid of a black man walking on the street.

A typical white person. Really.

I heard that. Unbelievable. Talk about digging a deeper hole for himself.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 06:24:05 AM »
Well, if we're really white devils responsible for all the evil in the world, I'd say righteous inner-city black thugs SHOULD be hunting us down, no?

Obama the Healer and Uniter is, well, mightily confused.  I think O. is an interesting Faulkerian character, but he sure as hell ain't Presidential material.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2008, 09:21:21 AM »
The Wright controversy wasn't about race at all until BHO made it that way with a big glittering speech that made one unsaid statement clear.  "That's just how us black folks talk in church."  That's what he wants us to believe. And believe it is okay because of past wrongs. This was never about race. It was about just another 2 bit America hating  pnuk running his mouth while living off the security and fat of the land that living in America provides.

What do I know, I'm just a typical white person. Way to step on your crank while healing the racial divide BHO.  rolleyes
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.