Author Topic: WIMPIEST music you listen to (guilty pleasure alert!)  (Read 18932 times)

Old Fud

• friend
WIMPIEST music you listen to (guilty pleasure alert!)
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2005, 07:36:04 PM »
Zamfir.

The best of Eddie Arnold.
Change is Bad!

jrob24

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2005, 07:47:27 PM »
Yanni. Good relaxation music

mephisto

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2005, 08:08:11 PM »
John Denver
Bee Gees

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2005, 08:11:09 PM »
Old Fud,

Is that Zamfir, master of the pan flute?  Smiley
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2005, 09:00:58 PM »
Hmmmm...  I dunno if I'd classify Tori Amos as "soft".  She is one ANGRY redhead.

Chill out tunes for me (at least on CD) are is Lorrena McKennet's The Visit, or the Chill-Out stream on www.di.fm
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 12:19:31 AM »
Second tori Amos being angry, Under the pink is a great album. God being about the best one, "witches burning, gets a little toasty" lol.

I listen to all the classic rock, modern stuff like Soil, S'garden, GnR etc, jethro tull, steeleye span and lots of other folky stuff and a lot of good classical on VINYL. Neil Diamond rocks, his double live album from the late sixties is genius. Nothing to be ashamed of there.  All makes for a few puzzled glances if I stretch the legs on the system in the car, Wagner followed by cypress hill "pigs" anyone?

Imagine the laughter from my other half when she found four madonna albums tucked away in a corner  :oops: . She has not found the Barry White yet, his version of "don't go changing" is being dragged out for my wedding, makes me cry like a baby when I hear that song.  Soppy fellow at heart me.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

kfranz

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 05:44:23 AM »
Once in a great while, just for nostalgias sake, I crack out the Carpenters or Air Supply.  THAT is some wimpy stuff.... :?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2005, 09:03:38 AM »
Ah yes.
Air Supply.
I guess that's mine too. o_O
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2005, 09:24:07 AM »
I normally listen to a wide variety of hard rock (Allman Bros. to Tool), mixed with some bluegrass and some "whatever's on the radio" and the "late night, but I'm still working" classical.  Some might consider the classical a bit wimpy.  I like Supertramp, which might be wimpy.  I threw on some James Taylor a couple of weeks ago, which was probably pretty wimpy.
For entertainment purposes only.

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »
You'd have to hack into my MP3 player to find out, because I'm not telling.  :oops:

Kharn

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2005, 03:18:50 PM »
I like just about anything.

NO DISCO.

I'll listen to old rap (lived in a football dorm through the early eighties - get me drunk, and on painkillers, with some buds, and I can step...), cryin' country, and even my Dad's opera, but I do not deal with anything you can shake your booty to.

Also like the rat pack, a lot of blues, old (and some new...) jazz, the more rockin' big bands, and rock and roll from the days of when FM radio was REALLY FM radio, and not a glorified corporate top-40 machine.

And a while back I more or less vowed to ignore every "musician" under the age of 30...

And then Joss Stone's voice slapped me across the face.
Blog under construction

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2005, 06:37:14 AM »
If you accept that opera and classical aren't wimpy, then I don't listen to wimpy music.  Sad/haunted/angry, sure.

James

Taurus

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2005, 06:47:01 AM »
What would you consider "wimpy"? How about the tragic victim of the 80's, now in his 30's, who thinks he has some really slammin' metal 'cause he's got groups like "Cinderella", "Metallica", "Poison", "Winger" in the archives. lol
J. D. White

Sean Smith

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2005, 06:49:55 AM »
Read the post that started the topic.   Wink

WIMPY can cover alot of ground. The criteria is that YOU think it is wimpy, AND YOU STILL LIKE IT in spite of yourself. Maybe it is a boo-hoo ballad, or a musical style associated with drag queens.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2005, 07:01:08 AM »
Hrmm... wimpiest?

Well, I enjoyed Keen right up until I realized that every time I listened to them I got depressed because i listened to them during the worst of the breakup with the ex. Ruined it. The jewel case now resides in a box somewhere,  I'll shoot it someday.

I like Air. That's been covered before. French techno just... it's wierd. If there's one thing the French can do it's make smooth things, and smooth music appeals to me.

Muse. Big one. European alternative band. Dude sounds like a cabaret singer, but the music's complex, great guitar work, lots of "feeling". Can't get it out of my head sometimes.

Actually, the only music i really abhor is anything with cheesy late 70's-early 80's square wave synth, overtly fake drums, and anything by Big and Rich or Gretchen Wilson. Ex'es favorites,'nuff said.

johnster999

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2005, 10:31:59 AM »
Enya and Natalie Merchant when in the mood for wimpiness.

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2005, 11:32:57 AM »
Duran Duran rocks.  I saw them summer of 1999.

Oh yeah...wimpiest is probably Erasure.  I like them.

Kor

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2005, 06:12:48 PM »
My personal tastes in music run to classic '70's rock and soul, although I don't listen to albums all that much - I just pick radio stations whose formats match my tastes.

And then Joss Stone's voice slapped me across the face.

Hey, Bogie - count me as a new Joss Stone fan, too!  I caught her on Austin City Limits, and just had to buy her DVD.  Never thought a teenage Brit whitegirl could bust chops like that - Quentin Tarantino should have her on the soundtrack of his next movie.  If you close your eyes, you'd swear you were hearing a classic Philly Soul act...

Oh, as far as "wimpy" music...I've been known to hum along to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Boublil/Schonberg showtunes.   :oops:   I'm also a James Taylor fan, and I've been to one of his concerts where a mosh pit formed in front of the stage.  :shock:

...has left the building.

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2005, 04:47:02 PM »
I wouldn't say anything that I listen to is wimpy. As a musician, I know that it is just the same notes in different orders, at least that is how I justify my Flock of Seagulls obsession. Wink Just kidding!

Really the absolute wimpiest music on the planet is Emo and I listen to some of it like Dashboard Confessional every now and then.

Bruce H

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2005, 06:00:26 PM »
I could listen to ABBA and the Ventures for hours on end.
It is possible to always be wrong.

Para2

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2005, 07:31:57 AM »
Normally, it has to go "crunch" to get my attention. Extra points if I start involuntarily banging my head.

However "The Sundays" especially "Here's where the story ends" can stop me in my tracks and have me listening closed eyed and open mouthed to what must be nearly the perfect human voice.
I can't trust a government that doesn't trust me.

APS Plankowner?
TFL/THR Alumnus

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2005, 08:04:40 AM »
Uhh... Elliott Smith?

Erm... Peter Gabriel...

*blush*
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2005, 08:08:46 AM »
Normally, psy-trance and industrial...  Wimpiest music, synthpop.

atek3

Rico567

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2005, 08:23:01 AM »
Probably the quartets of Dimitri Shostakovich....

Old Dog

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2005, 10:14:23 AM »
My taste in music is normally "classic" rock (having come of age in the late 70s) and older country (not the pop crap of today) ... but I will admit occasionally popping in the CD of ABBA's greatest hits (some, ah, great memories of my old Swedish exchange student college girlfriend) ... also will 'fess up to playing my Elton John's (basically the soundtrack to my high school years) and John Denver's greatest hits albums too ...
-- Will