Author Topic: From NRO's The Corner  (Read 2421 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
From NRO's The Corner
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »
Excerpts by Mark Hemingway

Worst Hypocrite in the World

The fine folks over at Olbermann Watch have put together this video, contrasting Olbermann's original nine minute rant about Clinton's need to "reject and denounce" Geraldine Ferraro with his subsequent defense of Obama's association with the Rev. Wright. The hypocrisy is breathtaking, even by Olbermann standards. 

The funniest part is that Olbermann seems to be barking orders at Hillary Clinton.  Good luck with that, pal.   cheesy

And on a totally unrelated note:  http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZmYzMjVmNTNkNzcxMzI4MDY4Mjk3ZjkyZWRkZmIyMGQ=
My church denomination, the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, owns a radio station in St. Louis where the church is headquartered. Far and away the most popular thing on that radio station, KFUO, was a program they produced called "Issues, Etc." The show was widely syndicated across the country and had a rabid podcast following.

Though the show held fast to its confessional Lutheran identity, it was really a show for the broader Christian community, covering a wide range of religious, cultural and political issues....

Earlier this week, the popular show was inexplicably canceled  during holy week no less  and no reason was given by the synod. Further, the two men who host and produce the show were given no warning whatsoever. The show's website was completely removed, though the archives were restored due to public outcry. In the meantime, an online petition is circulating....

And the producer and host are suddenly jobless.  This was a nice little cherry on top of my otherwise crummy day.  That show was/is a national treasure.  Even though I couldn't listen half the time.  I get tired of being beaten over the head for not believing in the so-called Real Presence in the communion elements.  Or for believing that I CAN choose to be a Christian, thank you very much.  Or for believing in an age of accountability, which the Bible suggests, rather than in infant baptism, which is not found in scripture.  But, boy they could really dig into some good topics, and do so very calmly and clearly.  It was like a conservative Lutheran NPR. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: From NRO's The Corner
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
Fistful,

Why don't you print out this post and go nail to the church door !!! angel
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »
Well, I've been to an organ recital at the church, at the seminary from which they broadcast.  I found it ironic that the doors were clad, albeit attractively, in some sort of thick metal.  Makes it a mite hard to nail.   smiley

I did sign the online petition, though. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:03:09 AM »
That just means you need a bigger hammer...

I, too, caught Issues, etc. via download every once in a while.  What a loss for civilized discussion.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:21:31 AM »
That just means you need a bigger hammer...

Powder-actuated nail gun.......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:45:16 AM »
Powder-actuated nail gun.......

That'll show 'em.   smiley

jfruser, here's the petition.  Maybe we can bring them back.  Or at least get them jobs.   rolleyes  http://www.petitiononline.com/Issues/petition.html  It's bizarre.  There doesn't appear to be any explanation for this stunt, just some rumors about wrangling between conservative and liberal factions in the LCMS. 

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
fistful:

Signed the puppy.  I also emailed KFUO's manager and sent a missive off to LCMS HQ.

This fellow expressed my thoughts on the matter:
Rev. Fred Gerlach    
Bethany Lutheran Chruch   
This program was benefical for anyone who desired an open and frank discussion of various topics facing the Christian church today. Unless Rev. Wilkins spoke some hersey and openly stated something that would be harmful to the church the matter should be identified openly so that the public can have an appropriate understanding for the change. There are too many issues that are just glossed over and not addressed appropriately. Unless there is a significant untrue spoken by Rev. Wilkins then the program should be reinstated. If there's a particular theology or presentation that has cause the removal of these men, than an appropriate staement should be made by the management.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »
The following was culled from:
http://latinkid.blogspot.com/2008/03/pulled-from-air-issues-etc.html

For purposes of contacting people to ask why Issues, Etc. was removed from the air, letting them know how important the show was, complaining (civily), etc... Below is list of all the people and places you might try and reach.
(As with everything on this page, tell me if anything listed is wrong. And tell me if there other people I could put on the list.)

Rev. David L. Strand
Executive Director
Board for Communication
(314) 996-1200
(314) 822-0000
david.strand@lcms.org

Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod
1333 S. Kirkwood Road
St. Louis, MO 63122-7295
(888) 843-5267
(314) 965-9000
FAX: (314) 996-1016
infocenter@lcms.org

KFUO Radio Station
(314) 725-0099
(314) 725-3030
‎(314) 721-2969

Rev. Dr. Gerald Kieschnick
Synod President
(314) 996-1402
(314) 842-7110
KieschGB@lcms.org
president@lcms.org

LC-MS Board of Directors
(314) 996-1350
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »
It was like a conservative Lutheran NPR.

Like supersymmetry or small government, I'm having a hard time visualizing this...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »
I refer to the way the show interacted with its guests and callers.  Calm.  Slow.  They didn't take on hostile callers in lengthy, heated debates, like most talk radio shows.  Even with the friendly callers, they usually took the question or comment, referred it to the guest, and "Thank you for calling."  Nor did they schedule guests with which they vehemently disagreed, then ambush them with all sorts of recrimination and anger.  They didn't even do the Laura Ingraham trick of proving the guest's liberalism by asking them if they read Noam Chomsky.   smiley  They didn't very often schedule "bad guys," and on those occasions, the interviews were very patient and polite.  But very thorough and painful.   smiley

Actually, they were even more slow and plodding than NPR.  An hour-long interview would begin with painfully simple questions like "What is a stem cell?" and slowly build the case for their position on the topic. 

Like I said, I disagreed with them a lot, but they were an intellectual breath of fresh air, compared to a lot of the dumbed-down conservative programming heard elsewhere (secular or religious). 

They also spent a lot of time throwing cold water on the excesses of evangelicals like myself.  They were rock-solid conservatives on a lot of "social issues," but they thought Judge Roy Moore was a kook, and rolled their eyes at the whole Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays debate.  They also had a lot of theological differences with most of the "Religious Right" and with "pop-American evangelicalism."  I mentioned them above, so I won't bore you any further with that. 

This is probably more of a response than you care to read, but hey; I really liked that show.   smiley

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
I've never heard of this show, but it sounds like something I would like.

Hows come I never learn about such things until it's too late?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
Website for World Wide KFUO, with link to Issues, Etc. archives.

My preacher is such a free-will nut, the news put a big smile on his face.  He was just sure they were fired for Calvinist heresy.  Which only proves he hasn't listened to the other shows on that station, that preach the same doctrine.   cheesy

roo_ster

• friend
What would Martin Luther do?
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
Radio Silence
By MOLLIE ZIEGLER HEMINGWAY
March 28, 2008; Page W11

Usually radio hosts have to offend sacred moral sensibilities to be thrown off the air. Opie and Anthony were fired after they encouraged a couple to have sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral. Don Imus lost his job after using racist and sexist epithets against the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

What would Martin Luther do?

But when the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod canceled its popular, nationally syndicated radio program "Issues, Etc.," listeners were baffled. Billed as "talk radio for the thinking Christian," the show was known for its lively discussions analyzing cultural influences on the American church. It seemed like precisely the thing that the Missouri Synod, a 2.4-million-member denomination whose system of belief is firmly grounded in Scripture and an intellectually rigorous theology, would enthusiastically support.

Broadcast from the nation's oldest continuously run religious radio station, KFUO-AM in St. Louis, and syndicated throughout the country, "Issues, Etc." had an even larger audience world-wide, thanks to its podcast's devoted following. With 14 hours of fresh programming each week, the show was on the leading edge of what's happening in culture, politics and broader church life. The Rev. Todd Wilken interviewed the brightest lights from across the theological spectrum on news of the day. Guests included Oxford University's Dr. Alister McGrath, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary's Albert Mohler and more postmodern types, like Tony Jones, national coordinator for a church network called Emergent Village.

On its last show, on March 17, listeners learned about the life and faith of St. Patrick; scientific and philosophical arguments in defense of the human embryo; the excommunication of two Roman Catholic women who claimed ordination; and the controversy surrounding the sermons of Barack Obama's pastor, Jeremiah Wright.

Despite the show's popularity, low cost and loyal donor base, Mr. Wilken and Jeff Schwarz, the producer of "Issues, Etc.," were dismissed without explanation on Tuesday of Holy Week. Within hours, the program's Web site -- which provided access to past episodes and issues of its magazine -- had disappeared. Indeed, all evidence that the show ever existed was removed.

So what happened? Initially, the bureaucrats in St. Louis kept a strict silence, claiming that the show had been canceled for "business and programmatic" reasons. Yesterday the synod cited low local ratings in the St. Louis area and the low number of listeners to the live audio stream on the Web site. But the last time the synod tracked the size of the audience was three years ago, and it did not take into account the show's syndicated or podcast following. The synod also claimed that the show lost $250,000 a year, an assertion that is at odds with those of others familiar with the operating budget of the station.

The Rev. Michael Kumm, who served on three management committees for the station, said that the explanation doesn't add up. " 'Issues, Etc.' is the most listened to, most popular and generates more income than any other program at the station and perhaps even the others combined. This decision is purely political," he said.

He may well be right. The program was in all likelihood a pawn in a larger battle for the soul of the Missouri Synod. The church is divided between, on the one hand, traditional Lutherans known for their emphasis on sacraments, liturgical worship and the church's historic confessions and, on the other, those who have embraced pop-culture Christianity and a market-driven approach to church growth. The divide is well known to all confessional Christian denominations struggling to retain their traditional identity.

The Rev. Gerald Kieschnick, the synod's current president, has pushed church marketing over the Lutherans' historic confession of faith by repeatedly telling the laity, "This is not your grandfather's church."

Since Mr. Kieschnick narrowly won election in 2001, the church has embarked on a program, called Ablaze!, that has the admirable goal of "reaching 100 million unreached and uncommitted people with the Gospel by 2017," the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. Historically the church kept statistics on baptisms. Now, however, it keeps a tally of what it calls "critical events." On March 17 a man reported discussing Jesus with his waitress -- and the Ablaze! count went up by one.

One congregation near St. Louis took a $25,000 Ablaze! grant and used it to put up billboards with kitschy statements purporting to come from the devil (e.g., "JeffersonHills Church Sucks," signed "Satan"). A Michigan mission congregation replaced the historical message of Lent with a speaker series on sex. Following marketing principles, neither congregation uses the word "Lutheran" in its name or advertising campaign.

While "Issues, Etc." never criticized Mr. Kieschnick or his colleagues, its attacks against shallow church marketing included mention of some approaches embraced by the current leadership. It opposed, for instance, the emergent church -- an attempt to accommodate postmodern culture by blending philosophies and practices from throughout the church's history -- and the Purpose Driven Church movement, which reorients the church's message toward self-help and self-improvement.

This isn't the first time the Missouri Synod has been divided between confessional Lutherans and those enamored with the latest religious fads. In the 1970s, alert confessional laity thwarted a top-down imposition of chic liberal theology in the church's seminaries.

A similar grass-roots movement may now have begun among the radio show's fans. Within days of the cancellation of "Issues, Etc.," public outcry forced the synod to repost the archived broadcasts on KFUO's Web site. A petition calling for the show's return has been signed by thousands of people from 49 states, 27 denominations and 25 countries. Many of the signers explained how "Issues, Etc." introduced them to Lutheranism. Young listeners have started a Facebook group to share information about the fate of the show.

Jim Kruta of Collinsville, Ill., was the 4,056th petition signer. An adult convert, he says that he listened to "Issues, Etc." for engaging discussions grounded in confessional Lutheranism. Mr. Kruta explained that Missouri Synod members should have drawn the line sooner about how much deviation they would tolerate in the church. "Seriously, this has been like waking up in the hospital after surgery only to find that the wrong limb has been amputated and no one will admit who the surgeon was," he said.

As synod bureaucrats support congregations that hide their Lutheran identity while terminating the strong witness of "Issues, Etc.," members of the denomination are asking if they can have their grandfather's church back.

Ms. Hemingway, a writer in Washington, is a former member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod's Board for Communication Services.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »
Here is a link to a blog that is ponding the drum for IE:
http://bringbackissues.blogspot.com/2008/03/what-david-strand-didnt-say.html

But let's assume a total of 480,000 downloads in the three-month period. There were 60 original shows produced during this time, including Sundays. (Keep in mind that the show is a repeat on Fridays, and took off the week of Christmas.) That means 167 1-hour segments available for download.

All told, when considering the download numbers, the listenership of Issues Etc. was approximately 3 times higher than David Strand reported in his letter -- perhaps higher.

Here is a graph showing that 95-99% of the downloads made from KFUO's website were for IE:
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »
The other shows at KFUO, in particular, Law and Gospel and The Bible Study, seem to have the same theological bent as Issues, Etc.  How far will this spread?  Or will the station tank, without IE?  Up till now, it's been listener-supported.

roo_ster

• friend
Issues, Etc. Lives
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 03:57:51 PM »
The resurrected Issues, Etc. will pull a Lazarus at 1500, 30JUN2008. 

Quote from: Email from www.piratechristianradio.com
Issues, Etc. is returning on Monday June, 30th 2008 at 3PM central time. You will be able to listen live on the internet at PirateChristianRadio.com and will also be able to download the new Issues, Etc. podcast from IssuesEtc.org.

Thank you for your prayers and support.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »
i  ever listened before   thanks for the links  congrats on sucessful resurection
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
Thanks, fru.  That is good news for the world. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 02:58:26 PM »
The following quotation from the Pirate Radio web site illustrates very well why I listened to Issues, Etc., despite my deep and frequent disagreement with them.  I could say the same for my VERY non-Lutheran church.   smiley

Pirate Christian Radio is an online radio station that is free from the scurvy plagues of pop-psychology, goofy fads, self-help, pietism, purpose-drivenism, the prosperity heresy, contempletive mysticism, seeker-sensitivism, liberalism, relavantism, Emergent nonesense, and the sissy girly religiousity that is being passed off as "Biblical Christianity".

This station proclaims "Christ crucified for our sins" and exhalts and defends THE historic Christian faith.