Author Topic: A timely reminder of how violent leftists can get...  (Read 7437 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
A timely reminder of how violent leftists can get...
« on: March 22, 2008, 09:02:51 PM »
This was out because one of them was mistakenly released...but this is a timely reminder.

Olson grew up in Palmdale, where she participated on the high school pep squad, Girl Scouts and church Sunday school, according to her mother. After graduating from UC Santa Barbara, she moved to Berkeley in the early 1970s with her boyfriend and befriended several members of the SLA, an urban guerrilla group that advocated ending poverty and the Vietnam War, sometimes by violent means.

In November 1973, members of the SLA assassinated Marcus Foster, superintendent of the Oakland Unified School District, and wounded his assistant. Three months later the SLA kidnapped newspaper heiress Patty Hearst, 19, in her Berkeley apartment. Hearst was quickly absorbed into the SLA.

Four months later, six SLA members were killed at their hideout in a shootout with Los Angeles police. In retaliation, Olson planted pipe bombs beneath L. A. police cars. The bombs never detonated.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/22/BA27VP3K1.DTL

This is why I worry about the stuff going on now. It looks remarkably similar, and we've already seen a bombing. What is next?

De Selby

• friend
Re: A timely reminder of how violent leftists can get...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
What is next?

A proper inquiry into anti-American activities by our fair leader, Sen. Mc...I mean, a proper accounting of true crimes against the state with no political bias and no railroading.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Strings

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »
Why do you think, whenever folks mention terrorism here at home, I feel it necessary to point out the groups we already have that are willing to use violence?

Can you say "ELF" or "ALF"? I knew you could!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 09:27:03 PM »
Why do you think, whenever folks mention terrorism here at home, I feel it necessary to point out the groups we already have that are willing to use violence?

Can you say "ELF" or "ALF"? I knew you could!

Good point.

I really think that the danger with hyping terrorism is that all of our rights and privileges will eventually become subject to "balancing" tests-and when that happens we're all in serious trouble, because no individual right ever wins when politicians put it on the scale opposite "the lives of innocent children." 

This has been true for privacy especially-"but what does your right to privacy matter when the government is going to save children with the information it takes?"

When politicians start talking about "balancing" individual rights with social needs, we all have cause to worry.  And this is just one of those instances.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:28:32 PM »
It looks remarkably similar, and we've already seen a bombing.

"A bombing" at a historical site is "remarkably similar" to the SLA?

Really?

You serious?

F'real?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
It looks remarkably similar, and we've already seen a bombing.

"A bombing" at a historical site is "remarkably similar" to the SLA?

Really?

You serious?

F'real?

What the hell are you talking about? Times Square recruiting station?

As regards that sort of activity, I think it's time to bring an old word into play. Not terrorism. Sedition.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »
Oh, that 'bombing.' Still makes me wonder if you know anything about the SLA aside from its initials.

As regards that sort of activity, I think it's time to bring an old word into play. Not terrorism. Sedition.
I concur. It's much easier to run the state if one's pesky opponents are eliminated.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
Yes, the SLA was formed of a group of white middle class college students from Berkeley led by an ex-convict.

Now, where are we seeing white middle class college students again acting out in rage and ignorance against things like the military? Oh, right! BERKELEY again!

Same "causes". Same useful idiots. Same everything.

Tell me why it can't happen again, now?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »

Oh yes-read the original Sedition act and tell me how free and brave your homeland is under that rule.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 10:02:50 PM »
I said the word, not the original act.

Of course, if a new act was written, CAIR would be out the door with a bootprint on its backside.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »
Yes, the SLA was formed of a group of white middle class college students from Berkeley led by an ex-convict.
Uh-huh, and?

Now, where are we seeing white middle class college students again acting out in rage and ignorance against things like the military? Oh, right! BERKELEY again!
So non-violently protesting "against things like the military" is analgous to assassination and kidnapping?

You don't even really believe that. To borrow one of your pet phrases (where did you get that cliche from, anyway?), it's just very "useful" to you.

Same "causes".
Yeah, this is why I'm pretty sure you don't know anything about the SLA aside from its initials.

The SLA has more in common with the Manson Family than with Weatherman, much less a real (and effective) left-terrorist group like the Red Army Faction or the Red Brigades.

Strings

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »
Ummm... "non-violently"? I'm pretty sure that, if they continue, it'll be gettin' violent: what I saw from protests in Berkley is that they're just waitin' on a spark...

Add in all the racial discord, and you have a fairly potent stew. all we need to do is wait for the heat to get high enough, and it'll combust.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 10:21:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure that, if they continue, it'll be gettin' violent: what I saw from protests in Berkley is that they're just waitin' on a spark...

Based on what, exactly?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure that, if they continue, it'll be gettin' violent: what I saw from protests in Berkley is that they're just waitin' on a spark...

Based on what, exactly?

If you're not paying attention and watching videos taken at such events, it's not up to other people to hold your hand and show you.

Find, watch, learn.

Strings

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »
direct frelling observation. Of more "War is evil! The US is evil! Give peace a chance!" types than I really care to remember.

The folks "inciting" today's "youthful protesters" are following the 60s model. What they aren't paying attention to is the fact that many of their followers are FULL of rage, and not all that full of restraint. It's a kettle on the flames.

Only question (in my mind) is, how long before it boils over?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »
I said the word, not the original act.

Of course, if a new act was written, CAIR would be out the door with a bootprint on its backside.

You're probably right-along with anyone who speaks out for the hugely unpopular cause of of Arabs and Muslims in America. 

Is that a good thing?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »
Nope. Nobody in their right mind sees regular old advocacy groups as a threat.

Unindicted terrorism co-conspirators that act as a fifth column and chill discussion of threats with attack lawyers, that's an enemy of the state. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 11:16:12 PM »
So opposing the War in Iraq makes you an Enemy of America?

Seriously, where is the line between war protester and seditionist?

Are there war protesters you find legitimate? Can you point me to them?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
Nope. Nobody in their right mind sees regular old advocacy groups as a threat.

Unindicted terrorism co-conspirators that act as a fifth column and chill discussion of threats with attack lawyers, that's an enemy of the state. 

Okay, if there's evidence of them being terrorists, why are they not indicted?

Oh that's right, because the material support law is ridiculously broad and has already resulted in a number of high profile acquittals...acquittals, mind you, not overturns on appeal or hung juries.  

Your claims about CAIR are groundless-but so is most of what you say about Muslims, so I'm not surprised.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »

They're with all of the "good" Muslims he sees-that is to say, they don't exist.

Strings

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 11:54:19 PM »
"War protester"? Fine, no biggie.

Speaking here of folks that hold up placards, hand out leaflets, things like that. Peaceful folks.

People that try to actually "engage" recruiters, or force a confrontation? Might be time to be looking at charges...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 03:35:47 AM »
Quote from: Manedwolf
What is next?

Seeing how civility on both sides is starting to wear thin, we may see some "counter-protests" this time around.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 05:25:53 AM »

The line is when they cease being garden variety asshats with big puppets and illogical posters, and start blowing *expletive deleted*it up, attempting to cage Recruiters, and burning down subdivisions and SUV dealerships. 

Rope.  Tree.  Domestic Terrorist.  Some assembly required.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 05:27:07 AM »

Your claims about CAIR are groundless-but so is most of what you say about Muslims, so I'm not surprised.

rolleyes

Can you say flying Imams?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 06:12:12 AM »
direct frelling observation. Of more "War is evil! The US is evil! Give peace a chance!" types than I really care to remember.
Ah, so based on nothing more than "I disagree with them." All your opponents are terra-ist loving seditionists who just might be terra-ists themselves, since they disagree with you.

Glad we got that cleared up.