Author Topic: Foiled attack at Kerem Shalom border crossing averted thanks to sharp instincts,  (Read 3507 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Too close for comfort

Foiled attack at Kerem Shalom border crossing averted thanks to sharp instincts, timely warning by Major Wahid of Desert Patrol Battalion
Hanan Greenberg

Bobby-trapped car, booby-trapped car, this call from Major Wahid, deputy commander of the desert patrol battalion, saved the lives of his soldiers Friday, after terrorists attempted a combined infiltration at the Kerem Shalom border crossing. Thirteen soldiers were lightly injured.

The quick identification and warning enabled the soldiers to enter their armored vehicles, so that the 660 lbs of explosives aboard the booby-trapped car caused only minor damage and injuries.

Under Fire
Gaza terror cell attempts to infiltrate southern border  / Hanan Greenberg
Thirteen IDF soldiers moderately-lightly wounded as Palestinian gunmen detonate car bomb, open fire on troops in apparent abduction attempt near southern border. Hamas claims responsibility for what IDF deems 'biggest incident since disengagement'
Full story

One of the jeeps neared the post occupied by soldiers and exploded nearby it, said Major Wahid in one of the debriefings. The soldiers only suffered light injuries. The second jeep neared the assistant battalion commanders force, but just then the warning came and the soldiers were saved."

The vehicle stopped 20 feet from the force and exploded. According to IDF estimates, the terrorist driving the car was supposed to reach the area where it exploded, kidnap an injured soldier and take him back into Gaza.

Another force present in the sector opened fire and killed the driver.

Major Wahid told his soldiers that as far as he was concerned they should all be given a commendation:  Any IDF officer would have done the same, Wahid said. I dont think I did anything special.

Six of the soldiers involved in the incident are still hospitalized at the Soroka Hospital in Beersheba, one in intensive care and the rest in various surgical units.

MicroBalrog Sez:

1. This is one of the vehicles used by the terrorists. Yes, this is an actual BRDM, your eyes do not deceive you.

Apparently, the plan was to set off the bombs, collect injured IDF soldiers into the BRDM, and leg it.

2. The Desert Patrol Battalion is composed almost completely of Beduin and Druze, not Jews. It is quite likely, given that and the Deputy Commander's name, that Major Wahid is a Beduin. So much for the Evil Muslims.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Bigjake

• friend

2. The Desert Patrol Battalion is composed almost completely of Beduin and Druze, not Jews. It is quite likely, given that and the Deputy Commander's name, that Major Wahid is a Beduin. So much for the Evil Muslims.

I rather doubt your average Muslim appriciates almost getting blown up 

I thought they cut this *expletive deleted*it out, since jimmuh cartuh made nice with em'.  rolleyes

MicroBalrog

• friend

Yeah, but a fellow risking his life to save his fellow [Jewish] troops is something that doesn't jive with the stereotype many people seem to have of Muslims and/or Arabs.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Yeah, but a fellow risking his life to save his fellow [Jewish] troops is something that doesn't jive with the stereotype many people seem to have of Muslims and/or Arabs.

Lot of folks don't go out and see for themselves.  Most people are just people.  A job, a family, hobbies, yelling at the kids listening to Gods awful music, and tellin' em to get off their lawn.  It's always a handful of people, of any ilk, that cause trouble for a million times their number of normal folk.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Bigjake

• friend
The bonds you share with  your brothers in arms seem to transcend the stupid little differences and stereotypes.  I don't think the majority of people here subscribe to the "all muslims are evil" nonsense, but I do believe that the added scrutiny isn't a bad thing.  Which major religion has wreaked the most havoc on civilized society in the name of religion in the past few decades?  Give ya a hint, it wasn't Catholics.....

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Which major religion has wreaked the most havoc on civilized society in the name of religion in the past few decades?  Give ya a hint, it wasn't Catholics.....

Yeah, they've gone soft. 

My sister went papist for my BIL and part of the draw my BIL used was the prospect of nuns with rulers putting the fear of God and penguins into my nephews (difficult children) at school.

Lo & Behold! when she puts her kids in school, not a nun with a ruler & the conviction to use it was to be found.

She was sorely disappointed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bigjake

• friend
Which major religion has wreaked the most havoc on civilized society in the name of religion in the past few decades?  Give ya a hint, it wasn't Catholics.....

Yeah, they've gone soft. 

My sister went papist for my BIL and part of the draw my BIL used was the prospect of nuns with rulers putting the fear of God and penguins into my nephews (difficult children) at school.

Lo & Behold! when she puts her kids in school, not a nun with a ruler & the conviction to use it was to be found.

She was sorely disappointed.

Bummer.  I guess they have gone soft since "The Blues Brothers"

Bigjake

• friend
Hmm... apparently my YouTube-Foo is lacking, I can't find the Penguin beatdown scene from Blues Brothers

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Not politics.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Antibubba

• friend

One of the biggest lies misconceptions about the Israeli situation is that it is an anti-Arab/Muslim thing.  It isn't.  Israel has many Moslem citizens, and they don't regard themselves as Palestinians, but Israelis.  They vote, serve in the military, and sometimes, like their fellow Jewish Israelis, are killed by Hamas violence.  The Druze, and especially the Beduins have been marginalized by Arabs or the Arab governments under whom they lived; in Israel they have Parlimentary representation.  Israeli Muslim citizens look at the (self-induced) conditions of the Palestinians and thank Allah for their own good fortune.  They fear an Arab run state too.

Don't forget, too, that there are a substantial number of Christian Palestinians, though they aren't the ones firing rockets or wearing nailbomb vests.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MicroBalrog

• friend
That said, AB, there's a lot of negative stereotypes of Arabs/Muslims among the Jewish population.

Manedwolf

• friend
That said, AB, there's a lot of negative stereotypes of Arabs/Muslims among the Jewish population.

You might think the rockets and suicide bombers taking out cafes full of civilians might have something to do with that.