Author Topic: is it unconstitutional to ban gay marriage?  (Read 63039 times)

Az-at-hoth

Re: is it unconstitutional to ban gay marriage?
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2008, 01:27:50 AM »
Yes, these are good examples of how the US spins the 14th "Amendment" to mean whatever they fancy. The 14th was not intended to force black/white marriage upon the States or to integrate the schools, and for the feds to come along a century after the amendment took effect and make up such new constructions seems like a poor attempt to cover up despotism.

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...

I'd say marriage is a privilege.

...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,...

Liberty means:
1. The condition of being free from control or restrictions.
2.The condition of being free from imprisonment, slavery or forced labour.
3.The condition of being free to act, believe or express oneself as one chooses.
4.Freedom from excess government control.

...without due process of law;...

Due process:
1. A legal concept where a person is ensured all legal rights when he/she is being deprived of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for a given reason.
2.The limits of laws and legal proceedings, so as to ensure a person fairness, justice and liberty.

...nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

There are laws governing marriage. These laws help protect married people. Homosexuals are people. They are afforded the same protection under the law as heterosexual people. To say otherwise ignores section 1 of the amendment above.

Fanaticism is a bad idea, no matter what side you belong to. Humans are characterised by reason. When you give up independant thought for rhetoric and blind, absolute faith; you cease to be Human and have become an Animal.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »
The leave it up to each State argument is the best

I do not think it is possible that the federal government would leave it up to each State ... I think it would take an amendment declaring that no State shall be forced or coerced into allowing or recognizing homosexual marriage or union.

The feds already decided this issue in 1996, when Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA),  1 U.S.C. § 7 and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C.  It states:

1.  No state (or other political subdivision within the United States) need treat a relationship between persons of the same sex as a marriage, even if the relationship is considered a marriage in another state.
2.  The Federal Government may not treat same-sex relationships as marriages for any purpose, even if concluded or recognized by one of the states.

There have been numerous challenges to this law, but lower courts have upheld the constitutionality.  The Supreme Court has declined to hear any cases on this matter.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2008, 07:16:19 AM »
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...

Laws defining marriage to be between a man and a woman do not violate the 14th in any way.

If Virginia passed a law saying that a homosexual man cannot marry a woman, then that might be seen as conflicting with the 14th (even though the 14th had no such intent or purpose).

I think you are confusing the P&I of Citizens of the US with the P&I of Citizens of a State. It makes sense to me to see the right to marry someone of the opposite gender as a P&I of Citizens of the US. However, homosexual marriage is clearly not a P&I of Citizens of the US, it is a P&I of Citizens of certain States and not others.

There are laws governing marriage. These laws help protect married people. Homosexuals are people. They are afforded the same protection under the law as heterosexual people. To say otherwise ignores section 1 of the amendment above.

Not even close. There is no law that says that homosexuals can marry in Virginia, quite the contrary, we have a Constitution which says that we will not recognize homosexual marriage or union. You seem to imagine that there is a law which says that anyone can marry anyone, and then you conclude that homosexuals are denied due process and equal protection and such.

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2008, 07:31:47 AM »
The feds already decided this issue in 1996, when Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA),  1 U.S.C. § 7 and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C.

I wasn't aware of that ... I seem to remember the republicans taking over in 1994, so it makes some sense to me that such a law was passed in that era ... I'll have to read all about it.

mek42

« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
Why should the law be changed?  I have a reason.  With DSM IV, homosexuality is no longer a treatable mental illness or a deviant behavior, but is recognized as merely an alternative lifestyle.

mek, you have got to be kidding me.  That is hilarious.  You cannot rail against laws based on religious opinions on the one hand, then base law on the pronouncements of a bunch of psychologists on the other.  Nor can you seriously claim that all mentally healthy behavior must on that basis be legal. 

All that aside, no one here (well, maybe Hugh Damright, I haven't read his posts) is trying to stop homosexuals from homosexualing, living together, or having weddings.  I am simply saying that homosexual relationships offer nothing that would merit government recognition. 

I was using the DSM IV change to reinforce that at one time homosexual activity was socially / legally unacceptable but that it now is (at least legally) acceptable.  I think, but do not know for a fact that the legal changes preceded the DSM change.  The change of legal and social status is, obviously, more important to the status of homosexual marriage than the DSM change - in this I think we agree though we disagree on the issue in general.

For the simple fact that both hetero- and homosexual unions involve adult human beings, and, in this country at least, all adult human beings have equal protection under the law.

1)  I don't see how you construe equal protection of the law to mean that homosexuality is equal to heterosexuality. I don't think that equal protection has ever meant that before. I think we are back to the assertion that the 14th "Amendment" means that every State must have homosexual marriage, even though the 14th had no such intent or purpose.

If heterosexual unions are treated differently than homosexual ones, there's a problem.

2)  Heterosexual relationships have been treated differently than homosexual ones since time began, what has been the problem?

Think of it this way, what if the debate was about interracial unions, which were once against religious laws. Seperate but equal was found to be wrong on May 17, 1954, Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka.

3)  Yes, these are good examples of how the US spins the 14th "Amendment" to mean whatever they fancy. The 14th was not intended to force black/white marriage upon the States or to integrate the schools, and for the feds to come along a century after the amendment took effect and make up such new constructions seems like a poor attempt to cover up despotism.

(I added numbers to the above quote)

1) Regarding what the various amendments are "for", people argue that the second need only be interpreted towards the state of the art military arms of 1789 - thus stipulating that ownership of modern fully automatic weapons is clearly not protected by Amendment II even if it is an individual right.  I do not agree with this view.

2) No.  Ancient Greece and feudal Japan recognized same-sex relationships.  Additionally, this site, a same-sex relationship information site, reports:

Same-sex love, as Plato's Symposium shows, is as ancient as human love, and the question of how it is recognized and understood has bedeviled every human civilization. In most, it has never taken the form of the modern institution of marriage, but in some, surprisingly, it has. In seventeenth-century China and nineteenth-century Africa, for example, the institution seems identical to opposite-sex marriage. In other cultures (see the debate between Brent Shaw and Ralph Hexter) the meaning of same-sex unions remains opaque and complex. In Native American society, marriage between two men was commonplace, but its similarity to contemporary lesbian and gay marriages is far from evident. And today in a number of foreign countries, laws extending civil marriage to gay and lesbian couples have been or will soon be enacted.

Even if the historical precedents cited are not identical to heterosexual marriage at the times / places given, the fact that Canada has equal same-sex marriage nullifies this argument.  Before anyone brings up that the US and Canada are different, "since time began" implies a broader view than strctly that of America.

3)  Just like Amendment I is obviously not intended to apply to radio, television or internet forms of the press.

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,...

Liberty means:
1. The condition of being free from control or restrictions.
2.The condition of being free from imprisonment, slavery or forced labour.
3.The condition of being free to act, believe or express oneself as one chooses.
4.Freedom from excess government control.

...without due process of law;...

Due process:
1. A legal concept where a person is ensured all legal rights when he/she is being deprived of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for a given reason.
2.The limits of laws and legal proceedings, so as to ensure a person fairness, justice and liberty.

...nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

At the very least, each homosexual couple seeking to marry which the state wishes to deny should be granted a fair hearing and/or trial by judge or jury to appeal the decision to comply with due process in regards to the deprivation of life, liberty and property as all three of these issues are impacted by the ability to marry.  This will, of course, increase taxes to cover these costs, but if the citizens of a given state truly disagree with same-sex marriage they will surely decide to send in extra money on top of their tax bill to ensure that these hearings happen in accord with the law.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
Marriage, by definition, requires at least one of each sex.  That is really all that needs to be said here.  Can we move on to real arguments yet, or what? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mek42

« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »
Marriage, by definition, requires at least one of each sex.  That is really all that needs to be said here.  Can we move on to real arguments yet, or what? 

Which definition?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2008, 06:40:13 PM »
Look, I've been down this road before, so don't fool yourself into thinking you'll open new vistas to some ignorant bumpkin.  I'm not that naive.  Can you find for me some cultures in which homosexual pairings were considered to be the same as a heterosexual marriage?  I don't know.  What if you could?  It doesn't change the fact that this world-wide cultural institution we're discussing is irreducibly heterosexual.  Heterosexuality is its raison d'etre.  That is why it exists.  Two men living together, whatever your view of it may be, has no positive effect on society that would grant it any peculiar status.  A man and woman, on the other hand, clearly has wide-ranging social implications. 

To return to more fundamental facts, though, marriage is heterosexual.  It is not homosexual.  To deny this is to screech and claw against reality. 

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2008, 04:29:06 AM »
Where do y'all get this "due process" idea? The 14th says that no State can deny a person his life/liberty/property without due process of law. Is it your assertion that Virginia is denying homosexual marriage without due process of law? I think it is very clear that we have due process of law. Virginians even amended our Constitution to say that there will be no homosexual marriage or union in Virginia. Why in the world would we have a hearing on a case by case basis? That's like saying that although we have laws against prostitution, whenever a woman wants to prostitute we should have a fair hearing on the matter.

I don't think it's a good thing to try to twist the Constitution to mean something it wasn't intended to mean in order to push an agenda. The 14th has nothing in the world to do with it. Not due process. Not privileges and immunities. Y'all might as well say that laws against homosexual marriage make homosexual couples afraid to travel interstate, making it an interstate commerce issue.

mek42

« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »
Probably getting close to time to agree to disagree.  I've learned a great deal through this discussion and ended up doing some reading I otherwise might not have.  Thanks for the very civil discourse!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »
I was using the DSM IV change to reinforce that at one time homosexual activity was socially / legally unacceptable but that it now is (at least legally) acceptable.  I think, but do not know for a fact that the legal changes preceded the DSM change.  The change of legal and social status is, obviously, more important to the status of homosexual marriage than the DSM change - in this I think we agree though we disagree on the issue in general.

Making paper airplanes is also legal and socially acceptable, so far as I know.  Yet we don't have a licensing program for this activity.  Nor do we have licenses for guys who like to get together and play touch football.   

Some legal and socially acceptable things are more worthy of legal recognition than others. 

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »

The DSM II was the first to get rid of homosexuality as a mental illness and it was published in the early 70's.  I remember the DSM IIIR from grad school and there was no mention of homosexuality.  FWIW, legal changes in some states came long after this. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

rickomatic

« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »
The state should set up some means of allowing the happy couple to obtain the the property rights, power of attorney, financial rights, etc. that are currently wrapped up in the State's definition of "marriage".

As far as I know, there is now not one thing in law preventing gays from entering into this type of contract. 
To to an attorney and have it drawn up.

As to the idea of the 1st Amendment keeping religious discussions or viewpoints out of law, I think that the founding fathers would be surprised to hear that view, as they quite frequently brought those ideas into their discussions when writing the Constitution.
It's sad to see how the meaning of the 1st Amendment along with the meaning of the 2nd has gotten so messed up since their inception.

mek42

« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »
The state should set up some means of allowing the happy couple to obtain the the property rights, power of attorney, financial rights, etc. that are currently wrapped up in the State's definition of "marriage".

As far as I know, there is now not one thing in law preventing gays from entering into this type of contract. 
To to an attorney and have it drawn up.

As to the idea of the 1st Amendment keeping religious discussions or viewpoints out of law, I think that the founding fathers would be surprised to hear that view, as they quite frequently brought those ideas into their discussions when writing the Constitution.
It's sad to see how the meaning of the 1st Amendment along with the meaning of the 2nd has gotten so messed up since their inception.

So, two people of the same gender should be able to go to an attorney and be able to sign a contract stating, "Person A and person B do hereby engage together in a legal construct equivalent to marriage as per the laws of state Z."  Would this really work?  Would this really be valid in all 50 states?  Overseas to places that recognize US marriages?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »

Again, why?  It sounds callous, but we're talking about govt. bennies here.  Whatever the affection or commitment that two people of the same sex might feel for one another, there's no public interest in it.  Any two people can obtain a power of attorney.  Why should a homosexual couple have an easier time getting one?  Anybody might feel a desperate need to see a close friend who's in the hospital.  Why should this be easier for a homosexual couple to do, than for others? 

mek42

« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2008, 04:16:16 PM »

Again, why?  It sounds callous, but we're talking about govt. bennies here.  Whatever the affection or commitment that two people of the same sex might feel for one another, there's no public interest in it.  Any two people can obtain a power of attorney.  Why should a homosexual couple have an easier time getting one?  Anybody might feel a desperate need to see a close friend who's in the hospital.  Why should this be easier for a homosexual couple to do, than for others? 

Then why have marriage as a function of the State at all?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2008, 05:50:52 PM »
Because heterosexual marriage has much more significance to government and society.

Without the heterosexual breeders hooking up and breeding, there is no society or civilization.

See Europe for countries so far gone in the pleasure principle that they are no longer having enough children to survive as a society.  By 2050, the concepts of Italy, Spain, Bulgaria, and several others will be about spent due to sub 1.3 CPW birth rates.

There are some cities in the USA that are below placement birth rates.  Which large city has the lowest birth rate?*

Homosexual relationships are generally sterile and of no significance to the future.  They are a dead end.

* In Pig Latin: Ansay Ransicofay
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2008, 06:15:03 PM »

Then why have marriage as a function of the State at all?

Marriage isn't a function of the state.  The state recognizes the relationship, and deals with it in a way that makes sense (hopefully).  But I know what you're asking.  Should gov recognize marriage?  I think it's a fair question.  I'm inclined to say yes.  Marriage, far from being just a religious sacrament, or just a sexual arrangement, is a very basic building block of human society.  It is how families merge into new families and produce and raise children.  It is something most adults do at some point.  So, it only seems to make sense that gov. would go along with this, just from pragmatism.

Homosexuality, whatever one's moral stance on it, doesn't have that kind of relevance.  Partly (and only partly) because homosexual "marriages" are much less common.  But for other reasons.  Joe and Bob should be free to live together, but in the big picture, what does it matter whether they have a sexual relationship, or are just friends?  Or whether they split up?  Or whether they are taxed separately, or together?  As I have already said (or maybe I haven't said it yet in this thread) we might need to make it easier for people to arrange powers of attorney, or to visit one another in the hospital, or even adopt, or whatever the case may be.  But should we do it merely on the basis of their sexual practices?  And again, heterosexual marriage is not just a matter of sex or love or commitment or romance.  It is much more than all of that.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2008, 07:14:36 PM »
Because heterosexual marriage has much more significance to government and society.

Without the heterosexual breeders hooking up and breeding, there is no society or civilization.

See Europe for countries so far gone in the pleasure principle that they are no longer having enough children to survive as a society.  By 2050, the concepts of Italy, Spain, Bulgaria, and several others will be about spent due to sub 1.3 CPW birth rates.

There are some cities in the USA that are below placement birth rates.  Which large city has the lowest birth rate?*

Homosexual relationships are generally sterile and of no significance to the future.  They are a dead end.

* In Pig Latin: Ansay Ransicofay

The problem with this theory is that it conclusively went down in flames when the Supreme Court decided that the government had no business telling people not to use contraception-

The government may have an interest in promoting births, but it clearly has no right to discriminate against people who choose not to have children while being in a relationship.

Scalia's dissent in Lawrence v. Texas remains the most lucid comment on this issue that I've read so far supporting the bans on gay marriage.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2008, 02:38:35 AM »
The problem with this theory is that it conclusively went down in flames when the Supreme Court decided that the government had no business telling people not to use contraception-

The government may have an interest in promoting births, but it clearly has no right to discriminate against people who choose not to have children while being in a relationship.

And the problem with that is, it has nothing to do with this subject. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2008, 05:58:32 AM »

fistful is correct.  Finding that the gov't can not deny access to birth control does not void its interest in societal continuity.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:56 PM »

You mean a legal justification for discriminating against gay marriage based on reproductive ability? It most certainly does.

Fertility, or the decision to have children, is and for the past 50 years has been a clearly unconstitutional grounds for government discrimination and legislation that denies marital rights to some, or that penalizes sexual conduct.  That is really a sailed ship in terms of constitutional law.  Hence, it is not and never will be a good constitutional argument in favor of permitting states to ban gay marriage or to continue refusing to recognize gay marriages.

If it were, the government could also come up with schemes to promote "the compelling interest in the future" by requiring fertile persons only marry other fertile persons, etc etc. 

The government's interest in "societial continuity" flatly cannot be its basis for banning gay marriage-if it were, it would not explain why a host of laws could be applied only to gay couples but not to heterosexual couples who didn't want to or could not have children.

The main argument is the extent to which the government may promote and define moral conduct-the "societal continuity" argument is legally not even a sideshow-it's about as far from plausible as could be.  As long as we're talking about this from a constitutional perspective, and not what we'd all like to be the case, anyway.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

mek42

« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »

Marriage isn't a function of the state.  The state recognizes the relationship, and deals with it in a way that makes sense (hopefully).  But I know what you're asking.  Should gov recognize marriage?  I think it's a fair question.  I'm inclined to say yes.  Marriage, far from being just a religious sacrament, or just a sexual arrangement, is a very basic building block of human society.  It is how families merge into new families and produce and raise children.  It is something most adults do at some point.  So, it only seems to make sense that gov. would go along with this, just from pragmatism.

To me, the fact that marriage implies a legal difference of status makes marriage a function of the state.  Are we on totally different pages or is this a semantic difference?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »
What do you mean by "function of the state"?  To me, coining money or making war would be a "function of the state."  Or licensing drivers might be a "function of the state," yet driving is not. 

But, yeah, it's probably just a semantic difference. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »

You mean a legal justification for discriminating against gay marriage based on reproductive ability? It most certainly does.

Fertility, or the decision to have children, is and for the past 50 years has been a clearly unconstitutional grounds for government discrimination and legislation that denies marital rights to some, or that penalizes sexual conduct.  That is really a sailed ship in terms of constitutional law.  Hence, it is not and never will be a good constitutional argument in favor of permitting states to ban gay marriage or to continue refusing to recognize gay marriages.

If it were, the government could also come up with schemes to promote "the compelling interest in the future" by requiring fertile persons only marry other fertile persons, etc etc. 

Except that I'm not arguing against gay marriage based on "reproductive ability."  I'm not arguing against gay marriage at all.  As I said some time ago, I am asking the other side to produce a good argument for gay marriage.  Until that happens, I have no need to argue against it. 

Furthermore, it is funny that some people can't see the difference between an infertile woman and a homosexual man.