Author Topic: Yes, It Is about Race  (Read 14168 times)

The Annoyed Man

Re: Yes, It Is about Race
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
BTW, you are no longer eligible to make charges of fear-mongering, as you engage in it far too much, yourself.

I have no idea what that means let alone what YOU mean by it.  fistful, your comments are becoming more nonsensical by the day.  Have you started drinking or something?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 01:36:07 PM »
Oooooo-K.  You go ahead and PM me some examples of the "nonsense," and I'll PM you some examples of fear-mongering.  Which would be just about any post you've written about Bush, anti-terror policies, talk radio, etc. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jrfoxx

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »
"Many in the white, working-class crowd were simply not ready to back Barack Obama - for reasons that are disturbing."
Really?  Why is it not disturbing is it that black Democrats are in lockstep voting for the black candidate?  Don't the folks like the article's author think black Democrats are bright enough to be held responsible for their actions? 
See, you just dont seem to understand. It's only racist when white people do things like that. Silly whitey....

Hannity and Limbaugh's continuing unending obsession with Rev Wright's church and the few anti white remarks he made are simply a back door method of exacerbating and promoting racial distrust.  They're pandering to whatever racism they can exploit in an overwhelmingly white audience.  That's why they fixate on that specific issue.

So talking about Wright's (Obama's self professed mentor and teacher) making anti-white, anti-american rants is racist, and not legitimate for discussion? Does that only apply when white, right-wing pundits do it, or is it still racist to discuss when it's a left-wing, and/or black person discussing, let alone defending,his comments? I just have a hard time with figuring it out lately. Maybe my mind is just too clouded by all my racist, religious and gun clinging thoughts......

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »

IOW, talk about who he IS, and IS NOT, and stop the fearmongering.  It's ludicrous and speaks volumes about the caliber of the rightwing talk radio audience.

And the pot calls the kettle black...

(Crap, shouldn't have used that phrase.  Someone might think I'm being racist.)

Edit:  Looks like fisful caught that little gem of a statement before me. 

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 02:18:53 PM »
So talking about Wright's (Obama's self professed mentor and teacher) making anti-white, anti-american rants is racist, and not legitimate for discussion?

No, it IS a legitimate topic for discussion.  And then move on to something else.  Hannity/rightwing talk radio obsess on it day after day after day.  It consumes the the majority of time on each broadcast. And I submit the reason they do it is to fan the flames of white racism.  Now if you think that's a legitimate response to black racism, I say you're wrong.

Does that only apply when white, right-wing pundits do it, or is it still racist to discuss when it's a left-wing, and/or black person discussing, let alone defending,his comments?

Puh-leeze spare me the victim role playing.  It doesn't work for Hannity and it damn sure doesn't work for you.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 03:19:13 PM »
Hannity/rightwing talk radio obsess on it day after day after day.  It consumes the the majority of time on each broadcast. And I submit the reason they do it is to fan the flames of white racism. 

OK, that's one count of fear-mongering.  And again, you're hardly one to complain about others' racism. 

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »
And to you Josh, I exhort you to read Matt 7:5, and take the same to heart.

And you'll have to explain how pointing out rightwing radio's emphasis on race is 'fear-mongering'.  That makes no sense.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
>And you'll have to explain how pointing out rightwing radio's emphasis on race is 'fear-mongering'.  That makes no sense.<

I think I can field this one.

It isn't that you're "pointing out rightwing radio's emphasis on race". He's talking about "And I submit the reason they do it is to fan the flames of white racism.".

"OH NOES! THE RACIST WHITEY!!!". At least, that's how it comes across.

And is it really race baiting to tell folks "Hey: this purple guy over here thinks y'all should be dead"?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
And is it really race baiting to tell folks "Hey: this purple guy over here thinks y'all should be dead"?

Again, in a national Presidential election, is Rev Wright all that important?  Does he really have any influence, on ANYBODY in power?

I think not.

Get real.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »
He was acknowledged as Barry's mentor and spiritual leader, until his comments made prime-time. I'd say that makes him relevant...

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »

Again, in a national Presidential election, is Rev Wright all that important?  Does he really have any influence, on ANYBODY in power?

I think not.

Get real.

Yup.  He hashad no more influence with Obama than Rove had with Bush. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
"But his relationship with Rev. Wright is not anywhere close to the top of the list."

Actually yes, it is.

If you want to know the character of a man, know the character of the company that he keeps.

Obama has, more than once, called out his relationship with Rev. Wright as something of which to be proud.

Now we're finding that there's something a bit ugly under all that silver gilt.

So what's the first line of defense for the Obama supporters in a situation like that?

Play the race card, play it hard, and play it often, because we all know it's just the White Man trying to keep Original Man down.

Yep, I definitely want to know if someone who's gunning for the highest office in the land is in the sway of such an individual.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
If you want to know the character of a man, know the character of the company that he keeps.

Is there an echo in here?  I think I've said this before. Smiley

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
You think I actually pay attention to you?  rolleyes

I'm normally too busy fending off your daughter's well-placed head butts, kicks, and jabs...

I've been using that argument/phrase since at least Bill Clinton's first run for the White House. I wasn't too impressed with his character, or the character of some of his friends..
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »
And to you Josh, I exhort you to read Matt 7:5, and take the same to heart. 

Nice try.  The whole point of that passage is that you must admit your own sins.  You can't use the hypocrisy smear to get out of any charge that's brought. 

And you'll have to explain how pointing out rightwing radio's emphasis on race is 'fear-mongering'.  That makes no sense.

If that's all you were doing, it would be simply stupidity or slander, because "they" are clearly doing nothing of the kind.  But you're talking about fanning flames of white racism.  Now explain how that is anything short of fear-mongering. 

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 07:49:19 PM »
If you want to know the character of a man, know the character of the company that he keeps

OK.  Let's look at the Reagan administration, by your logic the most corrupt in history with 32 felony convictions.  Now, I don't think Reagan himself was corrupt, only naive.  We could go on about the Bush administration and its criminal convictions, but I think you get the point.

And, in contrast, Rev. Wright has not committed a felony.   

What's your beef again?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 08:11:01 PM »
I have been unable to talk JC Watts into running for President. grin

He knows better.  Although no doubt he would be a great choice.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 08:16:31 PM »
If you want to know the character of a man, know the character of the company that he keeps

OK.  Let's look at the Reagan administration, by your logic the most corrupt in history with 32 felony convictions.  Now, I don't think Reagan himself was corrupt, only naive.  We could go on about the Bush administration and its criminal convictions, but I think you get the point.

And, in contrast, Rev. Wright has not committed a felony.   

What's your beef again?

Then we shouldn't get started on the Clinton's.  How many of their associates are now convicted felons and/or dead.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 08:51:32 PM »
Incredible non sequitor and another lovable attempt by Reily to fracturing the truth in as many pieces as is convenient so that it seems to make his point.

Few, if any, of the men who served in the Reagan administration and who were convicted of felonies were his confidants and long-time advisers in the way that Wright has been to Obama. Most were political appointees or were long-time civil servants who served under a number of presidents, Republican AND Democratic.

Many of those appointees to lower-level positions never even met Reagan, which isn't uncommon for any President.

It's also interesting that you claim this record for Reagan, when any number of sources indicate that the Clinton Administration is far and away the worst with 40+ personal convictions.

Of course, the same thing applies to the Clinton administration -- most of those convictions were accumulated by people who were lower-level appointees, who never met Clinton, and who in no way can be thought of as confidants of the man.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
How many were involved in Whitewater?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »
As someone who has done pretty much nothing but lay on the couch or in bed this week and watch TV and listen to Rush Limbaugh, I can tell you that Paddy has obviously NOT listened to the VRWC this week.

The only time I heard Rush talk about race, was when he "released" the Democrat superdelegates to vote for Obama.   And then it was in the context of "The black vote won't desert you.  After all these years of destroying their families with .gov programs, forcing their kids in crappy NEA/DOE schools, etc. They still vote for you.  Even if you give Hillary the nomination, do you think they'll vote for McCain?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
Rush even calls him Barry, instead of the over-done Barack HUSSEIN Obama. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »
Let's look at the Reagan administration, by your logic the most corrupt in history with 32 felony convictions.

But zero impeachments.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2008, 06:16:44 AM »
My sainted Mama beat me about the head and shoulders with that sentiment for as long as I was in her house.  It is clear to me that not only was the woman a saint while alive, she was also a prophetess.  There is no better way of judging an unknown personage than by judging their known associates.  The thing that amazes me about O'Bama is how consistent the beliefs are of those with whom he associates.  I can't wait to see what the Clinton machine excavates on the man after he get the nomination.  Then again I do not think Hillary will quit, period.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

Yeah, about 20 odd years of influence over Barry & family, which is terribly obvious anytime Michelle opens her trap.