Author Topic: Ron Paul??? What the Heck???  (Read 65817 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Ron Paul??? What the Heck???
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »
Google "monetarism" and read away.  I bet you'll like what you see.  I suspect that when most extreme Libertarians argue in favor of a gold standard, what they really want is a strict monetarist policy, which they mistakenly believe a gold standard would deliver.

Yes, because we never read. Because I don't know what monetarism is, or [yadda yadda yadda]

I didn't take any offense to his remarks, which were directed at me.  I'm not terribly well versed in this topic and he added a new word to my lexicon.  That and he summarized my position exactly: I want a strict monetarist policy.

Gold, silver, copper, iron, zinc, maple syrup, midgets -- I don't care what we tie the damned currency to just so long as it's something better than:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »
fiat currencies, which can be inflated at the push of a button nowadays... and are.

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2008, 04:28:43 AM »
Basic reality check.

If you control your own money as a nation by printing it, you are still in control of it.

If you back it with a commodity that OTHER countries control the flow of, then you are no longer in control of it.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2008, 09:21:29 AM »
fiat currencies, which can be inflated at the push of a button nowadays... and are.

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? 
Yes.

Creating currency on a whim is necessary in a modern economy.  That's why the Fed was created, that's what it's supposed to do.  That's its chief advantage over the gold standard.  Creating of money is a powerful tool that can be used to stabilize the markets and substantially improve general prosperity and quality of life.

Of course, this powerful tool is like any other powerful tool.  It can be misused, either deliberately or accidentally.  Used incorrectly, it can cause as much pain as it was intended to prevent. 

So, do we blame the tool?  Is the tool itself bad?  Or should we accept that the tool exists and that it has benefits and risks associated with its use?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2008, 09:26:41 AM »
Google "monetarism" and read away.  I bet you'll like what you see.  I suspect that when most extreme Libertarians argue in favor of a gold standard, what they really want is a strict monetarist policy, which they mistakenly believe a gold standard would deliver.

Yes, because we never read. Because I don't know what monetarism is, or [yadda yadda yadda]

I didn't take any offense to his remarks, which were directed at me.  I'm not terribly well versed in this topic and he added a new word to my lexicon.  That and he summarized my position exactly: I want a strict monetarist policy.

Yeah, I didn't mean any offense or insult.  Those remarks were directed specifically to Giga, who acknowledged not knowing much about this stuff.  A few years ago when I was in his shoes, I didn't know much about this stuff either (but I thought I did).  Some smart folks pointed me at some information that I found pretty interesting, and I've been studying it ever since. 

I was simply trying to do the same for Giga that others have done for me.  That is, help me learn about something I didn't know much about. 

If what I said was offensive, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean it to be.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2008, 05:18:18 AM »
Ok, I don't have a dog in this fight, as they say. I admit I don't know much about economics. But something keeps bugging me. Maned keeps pointing out that China and other hostile nations control gold and could flood the market as a form of economic warfare. But since FRN's are freely traded on the open market and the chicoms hold a ton of them, couldn't they just flood the market by selling a trillion or so?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2008, 06:06:26 AM »
But since FRN's are freely traded on the open market and the chicoms hold a ton of them, couldn't they just flood the market by selling a trillion or so?

They only hold $1.3 trillion... whereas their gold reserves are slightly higher than hours according to ManedWolf.

If we were on a gold standard they could halve our dollar's value by dumping their gold onto the market.

I'm not sure what fraction $1.3 trillion is compared to the FRNs in circulation, but it's nowhere near half!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
Basic reality check.

If you control your own money as a nation by printing it, you are still in control of it.

If you back it with a commodity that OTHER countries control the flow of, then you are no longer in control of it.

We have a winner...

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

The Annoyed Man

Re: Ron Paul??? WTF???
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »
Ron Paul ran ads here in Hoosierland for the past week or two.  Foolish.  Why throw away good money trying to win a race that's over and lost?  Ya can't change the past.

On the other hand, why not? The money was not taken by force from taxpayers and that makes all the difference in the world. It was voluntarily donated.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »
Ron Paul ran ads here in Hoosierland for the past week or two.  Foolish.  Why throw away good money trying to win a race that's over and lost?  Ya can't change the past.

On the other hand, why not? The money was not taken by force from taxpayers and that makes all the difference in the world. It was voluntarily donated.

It was donated for the purpose of having him spend it on political ads to promote himself and his views. To spend it on something else would be fraud from a moral standpoint, even if it is not fraud legally.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2008, 03:20:28 AM »

It was donated for the purpose of having him spend it on political ads to promote himself and his views. To spend it on something else would be fraud from a moral standpoint, even if it is not fraud legally.

Isn't that what he is using the money for?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2008, 03:23:21 AM »
My only gripe with Ron Paul is that he is running these ads now and not when they could have made a difference.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2008, 06:46:03 AM »
When was the time that RP made a difference, again?

Heck, I ended up voting for Paul, but I have no illusions about his overall effectiveness.

I just did it so I can pull an inverted Kerry:
"I voted against McCain before I voted for McCain."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2008, 06:46:55 AM »
When was the time that RP made a difference, again?

You don't only make a difference by winning elections.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »
My only gripe with Ron Paul is that he is running these ads now and not when they could have made a difference.

I think he is making more of a difference most people think he is.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »

Yes. He got the entire libertarian moment dismissed by the general populace as a bunch of wookie-costume-wearing 9/11 troofer basement-dwelling gold-obsessed nutcases.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »

Yes. He got the entire libertarian moment dismissed by the general populace as a bunch of wookie-costume-wearing 9/11 troofer basement-dwelling gold-obsessed nutcases.

How is that different from every other libertarian candidate? He had more people interested in his campaign than the last three libertarian candidates combined. Still does as far as I can tell.

The statists were worried enough about his followed to coin a term "Paultards" to dismiss them as wingnuts.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »
Actually, I called then Paulistinians after they ran around Manchester in a screaming, near-rioting mob screaming about Fox News not hosting their messiah. It looked exactly like one of the infamous rock-throwing-fests.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2008, 09:42:30 AM »
Actually, I called then Paulistinians after they ran around Manchester in a screaming, near-rioting mob screaming about Fox News not hosting their messiah. It looked exactly like one of the infamous rock-throwing-fests.

People do tend to get over excitable in crowds.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »

Oh god, not the wookie costumes!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:21 AM »
Hey!  I like the wookie costumes.  Politics would be so much more entertaining if the participants all had to wear costumes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »
Actually, political debates would be much more interesting and likely honest if they had to chug beers or drink shots after each question.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2008, 01:24:44 AM »
Actually, political debates would be much more interesting and likely honest if they had to chug beers or drink shots after each question.  Smiley
In wookie costumes.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2008, 05:06:02 AM »

I want the House and Senate floor to look like the one in Taiwan when they get into a disagreement. Room-clearing brawl. People would pay to watch that.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »

People get angry. People protest.