Author Topic: Mom says teacher let classmates vote autistic son out of class  (Read 10165 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/treasurecoast/sfl-flpkindergartner0525pnmay25,0,2574622.story

PORT ST. LUCIE - Melissa Barton said she is considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class.

After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, Alex, his Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14 to 2 margin, the students voted Alex -- who is in the process of being diagnosed with autism -- out of the class.

Melissa Barton filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer, who investigated the matter, Port St. Lucie Department spokeswoman Michelle Steele said. But the state attorney's office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said.

Port St. Lucie Police no longer are investigating, but police officials are documenting the complaint, she said.

Steele said the teacher confirmed the incident took place.

Portillo could not be reached for comment Friday.

Steele said the boy had been sent to the principal's office because of disciplinary issues. When he returned, Portillo made him go to the front of the room as a form of punishment, she said.

Barton said her son is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a type of high-functioning autism. Alex began the testing process in February at the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marcia Cully.

Children diagnosed with Asperger's often exhibit social isolation and eccentric behavior..

Alex has had disciplinary issues because of his disability, Barton said. After the family moved into the area and Alex and his sibling arrived at the school in January, Alex spent much of the time in the principal's office, she said.

He also had problems at his last school, but he did not have issues during his two years of preschool, Barton said.

School and district officials have met with Barton and her son to create an individual education plan to address his difficulties, she said. Portillo attended these meetings, Barton said.

Barton said after the vote, Portillo asked Alex how he felt.

"He said, 'I feel sad,' " Barton said.

Alex left the classroom and spent the rest of the day in the nurse's office, she said.

Barton said when she came to pick up her son at the school Wednesday, he was leaving the nurse's office.

"He was shaken up," she said.

Barton said the nurse told her to talk with Portillo, who told her what happened.

Alex hasn't been back to school since then, and Barton said he won't be returning. He starts screaming when she brings him with her to drop off his sibling at school.

Thursday night, his mother heard him saying "I'm not special" over and over.

Barton said Alex is reliving the incident.

The other students said he was "disgusting" and "annoying," Barton said.

"He was incredibly upset," Barton said. "The only friend he has ever made in his life was forced to do this."

St. Lucie School's spokeswoman Janice Karst said the district is investigating the incident, but could not make any further comment.

Vern Melvin, Department of Children and Families circuit administrator, confirmed the agency is investigating an allegation of abuse at Morningside but said he could not elaborate.

WTF over! angry
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Mom says teacher let classmates vote autistic son out of class
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:59:34 AM »
why didn't the teacher go through the proper channels if she wanted the kid removed from her class? seems a lot easier and a lot nicer to just tell the principle and the parents.

bad teacher. a kid with ausburgers has enough problems getting along, she didn't need to make it worse.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:07:12 AM »
Barton said her son is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a type of high-functioning autism. Alex began the testing process in February at the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marcia Cully.

Being diagnosed with, or going to doctors until one agrees with her inistence that that is what it is?

Asperger's is an amazingly widespread self-diagnosis for a number of self-caused and parent-caused behavior problems, especially disciplinary issues. Everything from laissez-faire parents to socially awkward people have been diagnosing themselves and their kids with it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it's become the new ADHD...a universal excuse.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:14:52 AM »

Being diagnosed with, or going to doctors until one agrees with her inistence that that is what it is?

Asperger's is an amazingly widespread self-diagnosis for a number of self-caused and parent-caused behavior problems, especially disciplinary issues. Everything from laissez-faire parents to socially awkward people have been diagnosing themselves and their kids with it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it's become the new ADHD...a universal excuse.

even if the kid doesn't have it, are you really going to make the poor little guy (remember, he's only 5 years old) stand up in front of his class and demand the other kids insult him?
disaplinary measures at that age are between the parents, admin and teacher, not the entire classroom.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:17:44 AM »
Lucky that this wasn't my kid.  This would have been taken care of rather quickly.

I have been known to make a teacher cry.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:18:33 AM »
Oh, I agree that the teacher was completely out of line. If you have a behavioral problem that is disrupting the class, you go through the administration to get the kid put in Special Needs.

That was totally wrong, and the teacher ought to be fired.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:30:27 AM »
A little voice in the back of my mind is telling me that this is not the first time this teacher has been a bit mean and cruel to kids.  Smiley

She needs to be transfered to high school if she isn't fired. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:37:36 AM »
"Asperger's is an amazingly widespread self-diagnosis for a number of self-caused and parent-caused behavior problems, especially disciplinary issues."

And your proof of that statement is?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:51 AM »
As the stepfather to an Asperger's kid, who was diagnosed under the DSM-IV by real, actual doctors, I have a dog in this fight.

Manedwolf is right that there are parents out there who will seize upon the disorder-of-the-month in order to explain away their Precious Little Snowflake's behavior problems, because anything's more palatable than having to swallow the "Oh, and you're a crappy parent" pill. 

On the other hand, Asperger's is a real thing, and parents of true Asperger's kids have to deal with a lot.  Asperger's is, first of all, a syndrome, that is, a collection of symptoms that tend, as a group, to point toward a specific disorder.  For solid diagnosis of AS, a kid has to have a certain number of the common indicator symptoms, and no, they can't all be put down to bad parenting (gross motor skills and coordination are often well below norm, for instance).  There is evidence of a correlation between AS and a partial breakdown of the myelin sheathing on the neurons in the brain.  Myelin insulates the neurons from one another.  Breakdown of myelin means more crosstalk among neurons.  More crosstalk means, among other things, a weakened ability to differentiate and categorize stimuli.

Example:  A normal person getting ready to cross the road can hear a car coming, and a jet plane up in the sky, and prioritize the car as more important to the immediate situation.  AS people sometimes cannot do this, because of the crosstalking, and so they may pay attention to the airplane sound, ignore the car sound, and step out into the road.

Because of the inability to instinctively filter out stimuli, social interaction is a nightmare for AS people; body language, for instance, is a mystery to them, because all stimuli are coequal in their perception, whereas most of us can filter out a person's movements that are non-communicative, any movement that another person makes is registered and paid attention to, and it's not actually possible for the human mind to sort out all of the stimuli we receive. 

Lack of social skills leads to awkwardness, and the downward spiral begins.

This teacher's career should be taken out back behind the woodshed, shot, cut up into little bitty pieces, and buried alive.  And I stand by that even if the kid isn't Asperger's.  Because kids are mean enough to one another without a teacher encouraging it.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
It doesn't matter what is *wrong* with the kid or if he was just a rotten little bastard, the teacher was WAY out of line and deserves to lose her job.  If the parents of any of those kids in the classroom wanted to sue her and the school for emotional distress related to this incident, I would be jumping up and down, cheering them on.  Someone, the teacher, principal, and adminstrators, need to feel some pain for this.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
a male teacher should get a shot in the teeth for this
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »
In Israel, because there's no reliable way for parents to complain, this sort of thing often leads to parents physically attacking teachers, beating them, and so forth.

I don't condone it, but I understand it.

But you know what I think?

There's a 14-2 vote. So a kid there voted No, knowing full well his classmates would hate him for it. Kudos to that kid.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 08:54:01 AM »
But you know what I think?

There's a 14-2 vote. So a kid there voted No, knowing full well his classmates would hate him for it. Kudos to that kid.

Excellent point Micro.

Most of the wolves voted to eat the sheep. angry
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »
Sarge, the 14 yes votes don't surprise me - kids can be seriously mean in a classroom environment, and a teacher can manipulate them to vote, too.

The one No vote - that's awesome. His Mommy must be proud if she has half a brain.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »
I felt slightly nauseous reading the OP.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »
Jfruser, 10 years from now, these kids will start voting.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 09:23:48 AM »
I agree with most posters, whether the kid has the syndrome or not a teacher cannot arrange to vote a kid off of the island.  This should result in some form of disciplinary action for the teacher and the kid should be moved to another class, maybe the special class if it is warranted.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 09:51:40 AM »
My guess is that there is a little more to it than what the parent is claiming.

The article states the kid spent as much time in the principal's office as in class. Makes me think he was a behavioral problem.

Maybe the other kids had the right idea. Most people, kids included, really don't want to be around people who are disruptive.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »

The article states the kid spent as much time in the principal's office as in class. Makes me think he was a behavioral problem.

Maybe the other kids had the right idea. Most people, kids included, really don't want to be around people who are disruptive.

Maybe, but there are better ways of dealing with this.  What the kids want is irrelevant.  The teacher failed.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »

It is still NOT how you handle this sort of problem. It's done behind the scenes, meetings, and the disruptive kid is transferred to special needs. Period. The other kids aren't told anything.

This was beyond unprofessional. I've seen teachers fired for less.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »

It is still NOT how you handle this sort of problem. It's done behind the scenes, meetings, and the disruptive kid is transferred to special needs. Period. The other kids aren't told anything.

This was beyond unprofessional. I've seen teachers fired for less.
We don't know what really happened. Only that there was an incident, and what the parents that are looking for a big payout from the court system claim happened.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 10:13:25 AM »

QFT.

There's not a single possible positive outcome from handling the situation this way.  No matter what a 5-year-old's behavior has been, pillorying him and making him (potentially more of) a social outcast will not help anything.

Kids should never be a part of disciplining another kid. 

We don't know what really happened. Only that there was an incident, and what the parents that are looking for a big payout from the court system claim happened.

From the article in the OP:
[Police Department spokeswoman Michelle] Steele said the teacher confirmed the incident took place.

If the teacher hadn't done more or less what the parent described, would she have confirmed that incident to the police?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 11:12:11 AM »
Mom says teacher let classmates vote autistic son out of class

So what's the problem?  After all, that is Democracy in action.  Isn't that what "The People" want these days? /sarcasm.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »
Quote from: BP
This teacher's career should be taken out back behind the woodshed, shot, cut up into little bitty pieces, and buried alive.  And I stand by that even if the kid isn't Asperger's.  Because kids are mean enough to one another without a teacher encouraging it.

Amen. This teacher needs to go away and never come back anywhere near kids. Although she sounds like she'd do well in the law enforcement field.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 05:51:40 PM »

Having met a couple AS kids, that's heart breaking.  What the heck was she thinking?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.