Author Topic: I Hate Overly-Sensitive People  (Read 7483 times)

Brrlgrrl

• friend
I Hate Overly-Sensitive People
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 04:06:29 PM »
"I Hate Overly-Sensitive People"
Then you'd love me.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 06:14:01 AM »
A crusty old country doc from Ohio told me in completely unvarnished terms to get out of his office and into a hospital right now.  Make no stops just make the 2 minute drive to the hospital and they'll meet me at the front door.  "You, sir, are a candidate for what we docs call "sudden death".  He was rude, offensive, uncaring, and not-PC, but he was quite effective.

The lady can just go somewhere else to die and save him the paperwork, insurance, and public spectacle.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 07:35:01 AM »
The reason we are so "sensitive" as a culture is that we have no real adversity to contend with. We are spoiled rotten as a society.  However, this too will pass. Given enough real stress, people will either become gibbering idiots or cope. Concerns about hurt "feelings" will evaporate in the face of horror.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2005, 09:53:25 AM »
Quote from: tokugawa
The reason we are so "sensitive" as a culture is that we have no real adversity to contend with. We are spoiled rotten as a society.  However, this too will pass. Given enough real stress, people will either become gibbering idiots or cope. Concerns about hurt "feelings" will evaporate in the face of horror.
WOW! You really hit the bullseye with this one, tokugawa.  It's struck me at times, like when I read "The Greatest Generation", that some men are born for exceptional heroism, and generally flounder on the rocks of a day to day, mundane existence.  Consider Meriwether Lewis, Winston Churchill, Samuel Clements, or Ulysses S. Grant (a drunk when he wasn't winning a war or being President).  All of these men (and I'm sure there are lots of better examples) were men for their times, but didn't do well with the day to day.

Interesting to consider, IMO.

benEzra

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »
NPR really roasted this one (I think it was on the "Motley Fool" radio show, not NPR news).  Among other things, one person said he hoped the doctor's apology letter read "I'm sorry you're so fat."