Author Topic: Funny un-PC local T-shirt.  (Read 3304 times)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Funny un-PC local T-shirt.
« on: August 24, 2005, 06:32:36 PM »
I know the Texans are still a minority here, but I couldn't pass up broadcasting this one.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4892619/detail.html

By the way, the poll is 43% to 27% in favor of wearing the shirt. Cheesy
 Includes photo of shirt. Link to printer is here:  
http://www.charroking.com/english.php

nbc5i.com

Logo T-Shirt Wears Thin In Oak Cliff
Residents Offended By Drawing Of Killing In Progress

POSTED: 5:34 pm CDT August 24, 2005
UPDATED: 5:44 pm CDT August 24, 2005

DALLAS -- A novelty T-shirt being sold at a local mall is designed to be funny, according to its maker, but residents of the neighborhood targeted on the garment are not laughing.

The shirt, which reads "Welcome To Oak Cliff," depicts an armed stick figure holding another stick figure under his arm, while standing next to the open trunk of a car.

NBC 5 reported that a representative from the company that makes the shirt -- charroking -- said the shirt is designed to be funny and controversial.

However, residents of the Dallas neighborhood said they see nothing funny about the shirt, which aims to poke fun at the area's high crime rate.

"Someone who thinks this is funny, or who would sell this, clearly hasn't been south of the [Trinity] river in a while," Oak Cliff resident Read Kerr said.

"My first reaction is, it's true," Oak Cliff resident Esteban Canales said. "And I didn't think they would really make a shirt about it because I didn't think people would & really try to advertise what really goes down around here."

Despite the negative take from people who live in Oak cliff, the shirt is charroking's best seller, NBC 5 reported.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 04:15:37 AM »
I consider Oak Cliff to be a "three gun" neighborhood.  Primary, BU, and deep cover firearms.  In my case: 1911 .45ACP, Taurus 651 .357mag, & Kel-tec P32 .32ACP.

I don't have to go there much, thankfully.  

I remember my church group planned on going to the Fair Park area of Dallas to help out a mission church.  It was hot-as-hades July, but for some reason I always kept on my overshirt.  "No, I'm fine.  My skin's easily burns & it is best if I wear a big, bulky shirt while doing carpentry in 100deg weather."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 08:06:36 AM »
HA! I love it!  I might have to buy one, actually.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 09:15:40 AM »
I just bought one. Should be good for some laughs. Smiley
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 09:21:55 AM »
I consider Oak Cliff to be a "three gun" neighborhood.
Heck with that, I wouldn't go down there without a couple shotties, a pile of AT4s and BDMs, and preferably a SAW gunner to back me up.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
At least if you went through in an M114 they couldn't steal the rims easily.

I'm with ya, JFR...I was uneasy enough when I was working that project at AAFES on that side of town.

(edited to add) The oldest kid was working last weekend down that way out of one of the bays. Saturday there were 3 carjackings with shots fired . Of course, there was no mention of it on the local channels or papers.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »
Silly me, I thought you said, "Oakland"

Warbow

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 05:54:58 PM »
Haha. Nice.

"Someone who thinks this is funny, or who would sell this, clearly hasn't been south of the [Trinity] river in a while," Oak Cliff resident Read Kerr said.
I guess you better tell that to the lowlife who threw a brick at my Jeep, which made a huge dent in the side, while I was driving through Oak Cliff.